PDA

View Full Version : Virtual strip search machine ready

February 26th, 2007, 15:58
News that should make the likes of our BoyGeenyus SHRIVEL with fear ....

:-)

Virtual strip search machine ready

Washington, Feb 24 . US authorities began testing a controversial new X-ray machine to screen air passengers for weapons in Phoenix from Friday.

The X-ray machine that uses so-called 'backscatter' technology peers beneath passengers' clothes to search for hidden explosives and weapons.

The US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) set up the machine at a checkpoint at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, the nation's eighth busiest airport.

The device will be tested at Phoenix for 60-90 days before more are installed at Los Angeles and New York's airports for further testing.

The new screening technique, developed by Boston-based American Science and Engineering Inc., has attracted strong criticism from privacy groups and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), which labelled it a 'virtual strip search' that could be abused.

Passengers selected for secondary testing at the airport can choose an X-ray scan or a pat-down search. It is strictly voluntary.

Airline passengers who choose to use the new machine stand in front of it with their arms up in the air. A tiny laser beam scans the passenger from head to toe.

The images come up on a computer screen in the control room. A green or red light - for pass or fail - shows up at the controls.

Officials said the computer is not equipped to save or store scanned images which is a concern raised by privacy-rights groups.

February 26th, 2007, 18:30
News that should make the likes of our BoyGeenyus SHRIVEL with fear ....

And why exactly would that be? I'm not sure I follow.

February 26th, 2007, 19:30
These new machines show every detail of ones body! Hopefully there will be a new line of underwear out soon that would protect ones dignity from the their privacy.

February 26th, 2007, 19:45
The pat-down sounds like more fun...depending on how hunky the patter is.

Smiles
February 26th, 2007, 21:25
Remember that old ditty from high school (or before!):

"Do ya balls hang low?
Do they wobble to and fro?
Can ya tie 'em in a knot?
Can ya tie 'em in a bow?
Can ya throw 'em over yer shoulder,
Like a ten ton boulder?

DO YA BALLS HANG LOW?"

The beauty of this song (for us juveniles :blackeye: ) is that you could substitute 'Big Tits' for 'Big Balls' according to the circumstances (i.e. whether the intended victim of your bitchy gossip was male or female).

Now, with this new machine in place, I can just imagine the immigration officers whistling and singing that song on their way home from work every day.

Cheers ...

February 27th, 2007, 12:23
Officials said the computer is not equipped to save or store scanned images which is a concern raised by privacy-rights groups.

And I was really looking forward to buying a few video-nasties on Silom of the scans from the LAX to BKK flight :flower:

February 27th, 2007, 18:30
a demonstration of the infernal machine on telly. Nothing very exciting. As graphic, anatomically correct detail is not necessary to find what they a checking for; it changes one's silhouette to something quite dull: resembling a big androgynous frog--Or Pearl--rather than a person.

The machines are very expensive--Which seems such a waste since I'd do the job for nothing.
If I could have the men's line.
And all I can eat.