PDA

View Full Version : In search of a decent burger in Thailand

February 24th, 2007, 10:54
Apart from home barbecues and Hamburger Mary's http://www.hamburgermarys.net/0406/home.htm and the occasional New York deli, I never get a good one. This week I foolishly tried a Big Mac - there was a delay of 4 minutes while it was freshly made but I found it revolting and left two thirds - mind you the fries were superb. I saw a new Hamburger place in Central World Plaza which looked promising but it was so-so -= requested medium rare served blue, steak fries were virtually raw - They did return them after I insisted - but they came back still hard, cole slaw revolting - a good Pepsi Max. I had to eat fries again at Saladang Cafe by Jim Thompson - hand hewn huge piping hot golden brown soft and moist, service with little bowls of mayo and ketchup - yum yum best that I have had in Thailand.!

In the UK we have various 'Gourmet' Hamburger joints costing about ┬г10 (US$20) for a big burger and fries and a bit of salad and none have impressed. Mind you, Tootsies can come up with a fair one organic and tasty, competently cooked and presented.

I don't eat Hamburgers that often but lately I seem to have a craving - probably brought on by excessive glimpses of advertisements and references to Niddy's Nook. I had a fair one at Mali on Sathorn Soi 1 just round the corner from the Malaysia, Bangkok. It was Ozzie beef and was very moist and tender but lacked much flavour and charring 200 baht.

"Why do Hamburgers in my canteen taste better than anywhere else" cried one of the Ford family. It seemed when he ordered one a large prime, angus, grain fed beef rib steak was minced and cooked to order. Similarly? Jim Lumsden tells me that the Ambiance cafe has the best burgers in Pattaya? With his current sylph like figure he probably has to forgo them.

I am not looking for Kobe beef in a sesame bun with slivers of pan seared foie gras, just a good large 10 oz+ burger nicely charred outside and moist and pink in the middle, in a nice fresh bun with some good fries at a reasonable price? say under 300 baht, as the beef will probably have to be imported. Thought! I wonder if Mignon do one their beef is local and always excellent. Maybe Manhattens but I'm sure they would break that price barrier.

Monty-old
February 24th, 2007, 11:06
Give Monty's Enchanted Hut a try.
I will personally see that your burger is made from Aussi beef and cooked to your liking , fries & salad, N.Z Cheddar cheese if you wish.
Only 160 bht.

February 24th, 2007, 11:41
The burgers at Piri Piri restaurants in Bangkok are quite good because they use high quality beef. They are small though. The review does not mention their burgers, but they are the best I have had in Thailand. I don't eat fast food:

http://matrix.bangkokpost.co.th/enterta ... .php?id=80 (http://matrix.bangkokpost.co.th/entertainment/restaurants/review.php?id=80)

The chicken there is even better. Be sure to demand the piri piri sauce (Portuguese style chili sauce) on the side or you'll miss the best part.

TrongpaiExpat
February 24th, 2007, 13:20
Three places in Bangkok to try:

The Roadhouse grill, Surawong and Rama4

Outback, Paragon Discovery 2

Tony Roma's, Suk. nana

Anyone remember a US chain burger placed called Fudruckers? Is that still in business?

jinks
February 24th, 2007, 14:00
Give Monty's Enchanted Hut a try.

Monty, I see that your e-mail message is now obsolete.

February 24th, 2007, 15:11
TrongpaiExpat,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried these places. How different ones experiences can be.

The Roadhouse Grill I have tried to like as the place seems interesting with a nice room and atmosphere and the owner is a Brit. Burgers in my one experience were very poor. My American friend loved their pulled pork sandwich and other dishes have been good.

Outback Steakhouse. This is an American chain pretending to be Australian - makes a change from Brits pretending to be Americans like the above and Hard Rock Cafe - now the London one used do superb burgers. My experiences of this restaurant were only for steaks which I could see were of excellent quality beef insufficiently matured to develop tenderness or flavour. I wrote and complained to the US and got an apology - only.

Tony Roma's. I have tried twice but not found anything tasty other then their cheesecake.

adman5000
February 24th, 2007, 18:35
Tony Roma's. I have tried twice but not found anything tasty other then their cheesecake.

I think the baby back ribs are very good at Tony Roma's as this is the only thing I go there for, so I don't know about their burgers. Tony Roma's also has a website where you can get 50% off second meal at Bangkok location. It is also within walking distance of a subway station.

http://upload6.postimage.org/413180/babyback2.jpg (http://upload6.postimage.org/413180/photo_hosting.html)

bedbugy1-old
February 25th, 2007, 10:07
ever try cooking your own
you don't like this one or that one
get cooking then you can blame yourself

bucknaway
February 25th, 2007, 12:50
And try Sizzler

February 25th, 2007, 19:40
For gods sake, you are in LOS and all you want is a burger, Go find some Hot buns and add a little chilli, You will burn with happiness.Start carefully and add extra as you think you are able.

February 25th, 2007, 19:48
Try the Great American Rib Company on Sukhumvit 36 for some pretty tasty burgers.

February 25th, 2007, 20:37
Ah, but the fries! Home-cooked fries are a mess; the frozen fries are awful. My best solution to that is:buy the fries from some place like McDonald's or KFC -- anywhere you like the fries -- and then reheat them in the oven when you're ready to eat. A little countertop electric oven (like Moulinex) works great!

Are you aware that fries actually come from potatoes?

Unless you are to lazy, then all you have to do is to buy a few potatoes. peel them, slice them then fry them. Result = perfect chips or, fries to the Yanks.

How anyone can eat reheated fast food fries is beyond me :bom:

February 25th, 2007, 20:41
Ah, if it were only so easy. The potatoes in Thailand are not very well-suited to french fry making.

Up2U
February 25th, 2007, 22:50
Try the Great American Rib Company on Sukhumvit 36 for some pretty tasty burgers.

Agree. The best I've had in Pattaya so far.

Brad the Impala
February 25th, 2007, 23:04
Sukhumvit 36 is clearly a longer Soi than was previously known, if it reaches into Pattaya.

February 25th, 2007, 23:20
Ah, if it were only so easy. The potatoes in Thailand are not very well-suited to french fry making.

Take a trip over to Chatuchak market and you will find Scottish grown King Edward potatoes on sale there.

They are a a little more expensive than local grown produce but trust me they make great chips (fries).

February 26th, 2007, 06:12
Sukhumvit 36 is clearly a longer Soi than was previously known, if it reaches into Pattaya.

There is a branch in Pattaya.

Smiles
February 26th, 2007, 06:27
Sometimes I guess I just don't get it.

Just asking, but why on God's Little Green Earth would The Moderators move a post entitled 'In search of a decent burger in Thailand', which is clearly about Thailand (as well as hamburgers) into the Global Forum?

Is there no rhyme nor reason to decision-making on this Board? Or do you boys just get outta bed in the morning and decide to do some moderatin' "just for the hell of it" ... whether it makes sense or not.

You guys overall do a great job here, but sometimes .... (see above, first sentence)

Cheers ....

February 26th, 2007, 06:33
The answer, clearly, is that they are morons.

February 26th, 2007, 12:33
Jomtien Burgers at

Dick's
Curtains
Magg's
Poseidon
Two faces

and at a whole load of other British, Hungarian and Scandinavian bars/restaurants in Jomtien Complex.

"Gay Jomtien - Great food"

February 26th, 2007, 18:34
British, Hungarian and Scandinavian bars/restaurants

Three of the worst cuisines in the world, and they're all there for your sampling in Jomthien Plaza!