PDA

View Full Version : "Outtraveler" magazine article

February 23rd, 2007, 09:48
"Outtraveler" magazine (spring 2007) has an article about the emerging Gay scene in Bangkok. Some interesting quotes:

"The City's throbbing nightlife scene is emancipating itself from the notoriously sleezy money-boy bars."

"Never mind drooling pensioners out for cheap sex - nightlife spots outside of Silom Road district are maturing into destinations for Bangkok's urbane beauties."

"Yes, gay Bangkok is growing up. Silom 4, one of the scene's mainstays, is still open night after night, but is peopled by shoddy tourists and the locals that serve them."

They mention several smaller clubs outside of Silom. Some of which my boyfriend has frequented, and told me "you would not like.. mostly thai for thai. Not friendly to farang".

They also mention an organization called "GYENT".. an organization created to organize activities and events for affluent and professional Thai and expatriate gays.

I guess we are all "Out-of- it" as they say....

February 23rd, 2007, 10:18
They mention several smaller clubs outside of Silom. Some of which my boyfriend has frequented, and told me "you would not like.. mostly thai for thai. Not friendly to farang".
I went to some Ramkamhaeng local clubs one night with a friend whose BF had told him same-same. We jokingly determined that the translation of said BF's advice was: "Please don't go there. You might become butterfly, or find someone better," as the locals were quite farang-friendly.

February 23rd, 2007, 12:32
"Outtraveler" magazine (spring 2007) has an article about the emerging Gay scene in Bangkok. Some interesting quotes:

"Never mind drooling pensioners out for cheap sex - nightlife spots outside of Silom Road district are maturing into destinations for Bangkok's urbane beauties."

"Yes, gay Bangkok is growing up. Silom 4, one of the scene's mainstays, is still open night after night, but is peopled by shoddy tourists and the locals that serve them."

It is a freshing change to read something about Bangkok that is so accurate.

February 23rd, 2007, 12:49
"Never mind drooling pensioners out for cheap sex ....

On a day trip from Sunnee Plaza? :geek:

TrongpaiExpat
February 24th, 2007, 00:04
1976, the movie Logans Run, " Here in an ecologically balanced world, mankind lives only for pleasure, freed by the servo-mechanisms which provide everything. There's just one catch. Life must end at thirty"

At the time, I though that was a good idea.

Logans Run (http://www.transparencynow.com/Logan/logtable1.htm)

February 24th, 2007, 00:23
Some of which my boyfriend has frequented, and told me "you would not like.. mostly thai for thai. Not friendly to farang"Asian racism? Surely not! :geek: The same is true of Japanese gay clubs in Tokyo that are not "gaijin-friendly"

February 24th, 2007, 06:52
http://www.outtraveler.com/features.asp?did=546

bao-bao
February 25th, 2007, 07:13
I remember an acquaintance from my distant past lamenting dramatically how he just despised preparing for a cruise because of all the suitcases he had to pack: "you have to have several different outfits for every day, plus costume nights!" and thinking at the time "if that's your biggest problem, you crank..." As it turned out, it wasn't, and he's long since passed on.

I think of him every time I run across someone traveling with their nose so high in the air I can't believe they really know where they are, and that seems to me to be many who this article is tailored to - the "elite" who make sure you know that they are, if you know what I mean. I see them on every trip, lording themselves over the locals and I say quietly to myself "thank Christ I'm not traveling with them!"

It's usually a relief to see my favorite places missing from an article like this. Keeps them from being spoiled quite as fast.

Bangkok is a city covering nearly 3,000 square miles, so I suppose there's room for everyone - and welcome to them - but I'd bet the farm (including water buffalo) the author and his audience isn't above what they speak disparagingly of during their "Night(s) in Bangkok".

February 25th, 2007, 07:38
As for the magazine article, it's obviously American Ageism at its worstProbably our very own boygeenyus - it's definitely his style

Aunty
February 25th, 2007, 08:08
I for one welcome accurate descriptors of the тАШqualityтАЩ and dubious character of far too many of the foreign gay tourists and expats that visit/live in Thailand. Clearly though the writer is an ageist snob which conspires to diminish his overall article. Low-rent trash isnтАЩt confined to any particular age group (as you would know Beryl). Youth does not render seedy behaviour any more attractive. Or vacuous bubbleheads any more intelligent.

February 25th, 2007, 08:21
Low-rent trash isnтАЩt confined to any particular age group (as you would know Beryl)Indeed - your own dear father, the under-footman who knocked up your mother, my sister, could be so described

Aunty
February 25th, 2007, 08:35
Low-rent trash isnтАЩt confined to any particular age group (as you would know Beryl)Indeed - your own dear father, the under-footman who knocked up your mother, my sister, could be so described

Given that my mother, were she still alive, would be approaching 85, this must make you very old indeed. A drooling pensioner seems too kind a description for you. Personally the phrase 'a pathetic old man' comes to mind; a term used to described you, to me, in numerous PM.

February 25th, 2007, 10:28
Didja notice that at the end of the article, there's an "ACCOMMODATIONS" blurb lists several really expensive hotels, not one of which is gay friendly. So, after being pissed off by the trendy attitude of the article, a little smile comes to my face when I think of those trendy gay guys bringing home a trendy Thai guy to bed with only to be told he has to pay a joiners fee. And the ensuing mess as "attitude" hauteur meets Thai "steel hand in velvet glove".

Presto, problem solved. No more "attitude" gays coming to thailand. Ain't that cushy!!

American Don

February 25th, 2007, 14:46
(And NO, you cannot have my boyfriend! :-) )

Some of us have already had him, luv. :geek:

February 26th, 2007, 05:40
Given that my mother, were she still alive, would be approaching 85, this must make you very old indeedDid your mother tell you nothing of the family history? My father married early (a showgirl, I'm afraid) who gave him nothing but trouble and daughters. Eventually she ran off with the village postmaster (shades of boygeenyus' mother), abandoning her children. Obviously servicing the lower classes is a family trait, given your mother's sordid tale with the under-footman. My father was then free to marry, this time to a remarkably fecund woman - and I am one of the younger sons. I suppose you'll want to quibble about full, half and step sisters but once you get past boys and delve into the lesser gender, why trouble yourself with these petty distinctions?