PDA

View Full Version : Request for money, is this a new one?

December 28th, 2005, 05:28
I thought I'd heard all the reasons for needing money over the years from Thai guys I've kept in email contact with. There's the dead bullock that needs replacing, a new roof for his mother's house after a storm, funerary expenses for a brother who keeps getting killed in motorcycle accidents, the College Course to learn English and any number of family illnesses and disasters.

As I currently support my Thai boyfriend who really is ill I'm even less inclined to respond to new requests.

So how about this one which I've not heard before, and I quote:

"My mother got sick, she must change blood often every┬а 5 month. So I must go back to take care her."

Anyone else had a request to help with a similar problem?

I've made some good friends over the years and I don't mind helping out those that keep in touch occasionally, but I prefer to do it in person when I've seen the real situation for myself.

If this is a common request then I can be reasonably confident that it can wait a few weeks until I visit Thailand again.

Smiles
December 28th, 2005, 09:10
"...So how about this one which I've not heard before, and I quote:
"My mother got sick, she must change blood often every┬а 5 month. So I must go back to take care her ... "
Simply a variation on a theme Jon. The main 'theme' is "mother sick".

The variation would be to describe the specific illness (though this is rarely necessary).
The next level of variation would be to substitute "mother" for any of numerous degrees of relatives ("mother" being the most universally worthy of successfully-mined sob stories) ... and then down the list to good neighbours and various farm animals.

Please keep in mind that I do not necessarily subscribe to such cliched stereotyping and generalizations of supposed Thai behavior, but these kinds of stories are beloved of some farang, and have become tedious urban myths of the beach umbrella brigade.

Somewhere I'm certain there is probably a reasonable degree of truth to such notions ... but ... I've been attached to the same Thai man for going on 6 years now and I've never (not once) been made made a target to the kinds of tales of familial angst-cum-baht-grab which are so often bandied around these message boards.

Cheers ...

December 28th, 2005, 09:41
IF THIS person is not your current BF then point him in the direction of the Guardian Angels in Pattaya.Look I had a boy from a bar email me recently telling me BS too.

Dick
December 28th, 2005, 17:16
Whilst waiting with my boyfriend at a table in Soi 4 for a friend to join us, who had already phoned to say he was running late, BF was sitting with his hands hugging his arms and looking glum. I asked him what was the matter, and he said he was cold. So I asked if he would like to move inside, or if he would prefer to go back to the hotel. No he said with a smile... I go buy jacket at end of the street... give me 350 Baht. So I handed over a 500 Baht note, and off he went. 45mins later he returned wearing the jacket he had drooled over the previous evening. Very expensive he said ~ 500Baht; but the colour will match my new trousers we bought yesterday:-)

December 28th, 2005, 20:42
I wonder if you help mother what will go wrong white the other part off the family. But do not worry about things go wrong white the dog, as some one on this forum has eaten the dog all ready .

:wink: :wink: :wink: baziel :wink: :wink: :wink:

December 29th, 2005, 00:39
Whilst waiting with my boyfriend at a table in Soi 4 for a friend to join us, who had already phoned to say he was running late, BF was sitting with his hands hugging his arms and looking glum. I asked him what was the matter, and he said he was cold. So I asked if he would like to move inside, or if he would prefer to go back to the hotel. No he said with a smile... I go buy jacket at end of the street... give me 350 Baht. So I handed over a 500 Baht note, and off he went. 45mins later he returned wearing the jacket he had drooled over the previous evening. Very expensive he said ~ 500Baht; but the colour will match my new trousers we bought yesterday:-)

Excellent Dick, sorry for quoting the lot.

December 29th, 2005, 03:09
Whats your pint Dick? I dont understanda.

December 29th, 2005, 12:39
Whats your pint Dick? I dont understanda.

I think a full blood change would be about five pints. (filter extra.)

Boxer
December 29th, 2005, 14:05
Heard it before yes but doesn't TB or Leukemia need regular blood transfusions?

TrongpaiExpat
December 29th, 2005, 14:33
The BF can't pull this on one me, I have seen his ID and Passport but it seems that all his friends have had birthdays in December. That means, a small present, a night out, disco, and a cake. Not a lot of money. I am keeping track of the names and birthday dates.

I am also getting suspicious that it seems a lot of the BF's friends parents seem to be kicking bucket lately. More small money gifts.

I don't mind taking his friends out for a night but I don't like being tricked. I am taking a group of his friend on a few day trip to Kanchinaburi for New Years. I am now having second thoughts that they might be inclined to consider me more of a financial sponsor that I have bargained for.

December 30th, 2005, 17:33
I've paid for mother to visit the hospital and also for brother's funeral. The difference was that I went to the hospital and paid the bill myself. I also attended the brother's funeral :(

December 30th, 2005, 17:43
The blood transfuion reason was first seen by me in the wild three or maybe 3.5 years ago. I thought at the time that the boys were becoming somewhat more high-tech in their modus operandi. I've been waiting for "virus destroy my computer; cannot send you e-mail every day" but that probably doesn't quite have the heart-pull effect of poor health or threats to education through lack of funds. The blood transfusion plea seems to have originated in or around Xtreme Bar - I blame Phillip's influence