PDA

View Full Version : Police close Walking St discos at 3am

lonelywombat
February 17th, 2007, 10:42
I arrived at Maya around 2.15. It was half full and about 10 go go boys around the wall.

I hadnt eaten so went looking for a burger, passing a dozen boys on the stairs. It looked like it was going to be house full by 3am

Arrived back just after 3, lights were on people were leaving and bar service closed. Police come I was told.

Tried Champion Disco downstairs, same same. Across the road at Marina people were streaming down the escalator and

Walking Street was packed with people with nowhere to go.

Whether this is a one off raid or a start of a crackdown, remains to be seen

In a seperate thread on Maya, Alaan gave an excellent post that persuaded me to change from doing the go go bars to

late night early morning venues. It is well worth reading for those who have not been there. Hopefully it will be open again

tonight and this was just flexing some muscle by BIB.

Alaan
February 18th, 2007, 05:25
Well that's not the kind of update i'm keen to learn about. Just hope it is a short-term thing, and doesn't turn into a firm long-term policy. But I suppose 3am is still better than the 1am/2am finishing times a while back. Has anyone came across the Karaokes and the likes of JJ pub in the more outlying areas away from the main Walking St hub being affected?
When I last visited in October, even Hollywood was open until 5-6 am with less rigorous security to prevent under 20s getting in and I just hoped and assumed that it might be either a deliberate policy by the coup leaders to appease the sanook loving population by not bothering to get firm until they got dug-in or more likely that the politicians had other much more important distractions to concern themselves with and the boys-in-brown simply took advantage of the lax situation until a firm policy from the coup leaders was presented.
But all that being said,even with politicians being firm or not,coups coming and going....... Thailand, being a country of which sanook is a way of life, & local boys-in-brown requiring to top up salaries there will ALWAYS be somewhere to find a bar/karaoke operating outwith the formal opening/closing times virtually anywhere in Thailand if you want it.

February 19th, 2007, 08:18
Boyztown close now, when I was there 6 months ago I think they closed shop around 1:00 a.m. with the exception of Piano Bar which went on for a while.