PDA

View Full Version : Junta wants Shin Corp back

February 16th, 2007, 22:43
Sonthi wants Shin Corp back - Bangkok Post - (Agencies)

Junta leader Sonthi Boonyarataklin said he wants to take back about 140 billion baht ($3.9 billion) of assets from Singapore. "Singapore is a very small country, but it is so rich that it can buy 140 billion baht of our national assets," Gen Sonthi said in a speech at a seminar in Bangkok on Friday. "I am thinking about whether we can take those assets back. I want our national assets back, especially the satellites." Gen Sonthi's speech, at the Royal Army Convention in Bangkok, was broadcast nationwide by army radio.

"I am looking at the country's assets and resources which have been bought by Singapore," Gen Sonthi told 2,000 students and merchants, referring to the purchase last year by Singapore state investment firm Temasek "I want my belongings back, especially the satellites." His speech was was advertised to be on patriotism.

It was the Thai army's duty not to "let anybody to take our national assets", he said. "National assets, no matter where they are located, always belong to Thailand and the Thai people." Among the assets purchased under the Shin Corp label was Shin Satellite , Thailand's only satellite firm.

The speech on Friday expanded on last month's patriotic complaint against Singapore, when he alleged to high school students: "Our army has a problem now. When we make a call, the line goes to Singapore. When we talk secrets, they go straight to Singapore."

Bangkok Post

February 16th, 2007, 23:37
And? Do you have an opinion on this piece of news?

Dboy
February 17th, 2007, 00:02
Seems to me there's MUCH easier ways to do this when you are running the country!

1) you start up your new satellite company

2) you use patriotism, bribes, guns, etc to encourage people to use your new company

3) Shin goes broke

4) buy Shin assets at auction

5) profit!

What is this?: "National assets, no matter where they are located, always belong to Thailand and the Thai people" .
Did Hugo Chavez get a Thai retirement visa recently? At any rate, for all you condo-buying farangs....they could be talking about you... you buy condo, they still own it. heh.

Dboy

Lunchtime O'Booze
February 17th, 2007, 10:47
Dr Tamiflu from the Shin Corporation ? :cyclopsani: :cyclopsani: :cyclopsani: :cyclopsani: