PDA

View Full Version : Maya bar/disco..any updates?

Alaan
February 13th, 2007, 04:06
Just wondering if anyone has visited Maya just off Walking Str recently, and can give a current update and advise if it is still popular...or indeed still open. On my last trip in Oct last year it was still one of the main after-hour venues some of the gay guys I met asked to go to. It did have a bit of bad publicity on the forums regarding accusations of bill padding and pricey spirit bottles a while back, but on my last visit I went there three times with a 100 pipers bottle bought from 7-11 on the way, the guys I was with kept an eye on the mixer bills and we enjoyed the show and dancing on each occasion with no hassle. I am due to visit Thailand again shortly and i'm keen to know if it is still worth keeping on the early-morning venue list.Thanks.

February 13th, 2007, 10:13
Will try have a visit this week.

Alaan
February 14th, 2007, 04:23
Thanks for that Oogleman, but judging by the of the lack of feedback it seems that it is either not as popular as it once was, or simply not a favourite haunt of any of this board's members. And thanks for the bar report posts on Gaytingtong, although I don't post there myself, I do read the forum posts.

February 15th, 2007, 05:46
I went to Maya for the first time in January. A friend took me there because I would have never been able to find the place. We arrived at about 1 A.M. and only a handful of people were in attendance. We went for a walk on beach road and returned about 2:30 and the place was packed. I drank beer and so can not comment on the bill padding accusation. It is a loud, smokey, high-energy disco and is frequented by some nice looking guys. Worth a visit.

February 15th, 2007, 08:08
I was there in January...the place was packed and a lot of fun. Not many farang :) The place was very very smokey. The Thai guys I was with loved the show and they thought the go go dancers were hot. The gogo dancers didn't do a thingk for me, but many of the patrons were adorable and very cruisey. I didn't find the prices high...seemed very reasonable. I hate the massage boys in the toilet. They won't take no for an answer and are pushy for tips.

lonelywombat
February 15th, 2007, 11:08
I was there in January...the place was packed and a lot of fun. Not many farang :) The place was very very smokey. The Thai guys I was with loved the show and they thought the go go dancers were hot. The gogo dancers didn't do a thingk for me, but many of the patrons were adorable and very cruisey. I didn't find the prices high...seemed very reasonable. I hate the massage boys in the toilet. They won't take no for an answer and are pushy for tips.

One of the WWB boys I offed told me he did a DJ set so could not overnight,and it seems many of the successful bar boys go there after work. Not a place to pick up farang but to enjoy themselves or thai/thai

The boys in toilets in thailand do not get paid but live on tips alone. Cant blame trying to survive.

lonelywombat
February 15th, 2007, 11:09
-duplicated

Alaan
February 16th, 2007, 05:04
Thanks for the recent updates, good to see it is still going. With regard to the show,the last one I saw was mainly comedy with a very camp comedian/compare doing a routine much like stand-up with a few jokes but mostly picking on members of the audience with some cheeky observations whilst inviting heckling and also inviting audience members up to the stage for humiliation, much to the amusement of the 98% thai crowd. The slapstick parts are funny, but the dialogue in Thai is difficult for farangs (unless you are fluent) to understand, usually my friends will explain bits and pieces as the act progresses and even though I only understand a little Thai, even for a farang it is still enjoyable.But what I enjoy the most is watching all the mainly gay boys/guys really enjoying themselves pissing themselves laughing and excitingly heckling the compare who at the end the sings live to backing tracks. It is a good break from the dancing and techno music.
As for the Maya host/gogo dancers, they are all male and in my opinion tending to be manly handsome rather than cute. They dance on podiums about 3 feet high set around the walls of the hall, and rotate every 2-3 songs. From memory they are usually topless and wear tight shorts/lycras/briefs? and it is hi-energy dancing. There are sometimes a few females in the crowd,usually I think in the company of gay friends, and certainly don't cramp the very gay style of the place.
Just a side note to lonleywombats post, for the interest of anyone who has not yet visited Maya, I agree it is mostly groups of gay boys/guys out together for a good time, and there are also a few farang, who are mostly in the company of gayguys, and although it is not an obvious pick-up-farang joint as lonleywombat points out, a good number of the boys going there for fun are gogo/host barboys who have perhaps not had an off or just fancy some fun and certainly in my view would approach a non-attached farang to hook up, in fact on two occasions I have been approached by mamasans/waiters from gogo bars who have been out for fun with some of their staff and having recognised me, come across to say hello, and asked if I am with a partner for the night and have offered to introduce me to boys they know who would be happy to find a farang for the night. One advantage of this is that although it is the same commercial transaction as in offing a gogo boy as payment would be expected next day, usually the boys/guys are already in very happy mood/state of mind which can add to the enjoyment and you can have a fun time before leaving with someone, and as david and monkeysee report there are many very attractive cute gay boys go there.

jinks
February 16th, 2007, 06:16
paragraphs are heavenly if you use then darling.paragraphs are heavenly if you use then darling.paragraphs are heavenly if you use then darling.paragraphs are heavenly if you use then darling.paragraphs are heavenly if you use then darling.paragraphs are heavenly if you use then darling.paragraphs are heavenly if you use then darling.paragraphs are heavenly if you use then darling.paragraphs are heavenly if you use then darling.paragraphs are heavenly if you use then darling.paragraphs are heavenly if you use then darling.paragraphs are heavenly if you use then darling.paragraphs are heavenly if you use then darling.paragraphs are heavenly if you use then darling.

Smiles
February 16th, 2007, 06:26
Alaan's post IS a paragraph jinks ... one big one!

I think you mean spaces between a number of paragraphs, don't you?

I agree though, much easier on the eyes.

Cheers ...

lonelywombat
February 16th, 2007, 11:11
Several questions

What time does the crowd thin out and what time does it close

I saw the sign in Walking Street, but was unsure if it was upstairs, at the rear whatever.

Last year in this forum reference was made to a new gay bar in Walking St. Is Maya the one or is there another

A friend of mine who goes week at the knees at the thought of hooking onto Thai Boxers, will kill me if I dont ask

were there many macho, superfit boxer types in the crowd.

Alaan
February 17th, 2007, 06:54
In reply to lonleywombat, I usually go there about 2-2.30am...I have once gone before 2am and it is quite strange to be in a place only 1/4 full then within a 30 minute window it is packed out, but these times go hand-in-hand with the times gogo/host bars and most other normal entertainment places close, I normally stay until about 5-5.30am and it is usually still in full flow at that time, this of course is only in my own experience of the place, so I'm not actually sure of the time it thins out and closes.

With regard to the entrance, it really isn't that obvious, at the walking Str sign for Maya go in off the main street along a type of corridor between straight bars for a few meters towards the rear (at this point just ask anyone hanging about for Maya) until you come to concrete stairs, at the top is entrance to a decent size Karaoke bar which is part of the venue and you might think you've got the wrong place, but when you veer to the left just as you come in, a door takes you through to Maya. There are often some people in the Karaoke but I've only ever just passed through.

I'm not aware of any other specifically gay bars in the Walking Str area, but as a 3-4 one-month visits per year visitor, probably more experienced visitors or expats might be more knowledgeable about this.

As for macho superfit boxer types, i'm not that sure, probably because as I'm not attracted to that type I don't really take note of them, but what I can say though, is that there are a good few straight/bi good looking thai men who do come to Maya to specifically hook up with gay boys, I do know of two guys I have known for a while (who work at Abomb) who always manage to hook up with fem gay boys who in turn are equally as happy to be approached by 'the men'. Of course, this is also true in some karaoke venues and the likes of JJ pub who have a similar range of clientele.

You may have noticed, that for the benefit of the two posters who preferred to pick minor issues with my posting script rather than actually adding any useful information for the benefit of the thread, I have left spaces between the paragraphs to be easier on the eye.The fact that Jinks posted a series of sentences that don't actually make sense, and that smiles seems not to understand that there are in fact three paragraphs ...not one big one...as he wrongly observed,(being as a paragraph is simply the start of a new line to subdivide blocks of text......spaces between not relevant to the definition of paragraph)...might seem a tad trivial for me to point out... but i do think it is only fair on this occasion to be allowed to lower myself to the same level of..............trivia!

Lunchtime O'Booze
February 17th, 2007, 10:52
after work and other Thais etc than farangs which means it can be good fun as there is nothing better than watching them have fun.

It's still a place to watch carefully as every time your glass goes down it's filled up before you know it and a new bottle arrives etc etc..and your bill is sky high.
Just keep your wits about you and don't get too drunk or make sure you have plenty of cash on you.

Apart from that it's still good fun if you like hideous drag shows.

lonelywombat
February 17th, 2007, 11:14
In a new thread re the closing of discos in Walking St, I mentioned I went there last night.

I did a daytime recce to see where to go It was then easy to find at night.

Entering Walking St from South Road, look for the Climax bar sign on the beach side where it advertises european girls only. If you miss the sign and have reached the Marina Disco entrance you have gone too far

With your back to Climax Bar look at the second floor opposite and you will see the painted sign Maya You enter the ground floor bar, and 20 metres inside on the left is a wooden staircase that leads to Maya.

colmx
February 18th, 2007, 02:48
I think that the dancers in Maya are referred to as "Coyotes" and not "go-go boys"

When i asked what the differnece was i was told that Coyotes do high-energy dancing whilst Gogo boys just stand or move slightly.

Also apparently coyotes are always gay, are always better looking (to the Thai eye) and must have perfect physiques, skin etc.

They also can't be offed in the same manner as Gogo boys - they can be offed - but only with private arrangements at the end of their dancing stint.

A lot of the gay Thai discos in Bkk also employ Coyotes as their dancers
(eg. G-Star)

Jetsam
February 18th, 2007, 03:17
I think that the dancers in Maya are referred to as "Coyotes" and not "go-go boys"

When i asked what the differnece was i was told that Coyotes do high-energy dancing whilst Gogo boys just stand or move slightly.

well.. gogo boys are not dancers, one day they are on the rice fields and next day on stage.

Also apparently coyotes are always gay, are always better looking (to the Thai eye) and must have perfect physiques, skin etc.

there are ugly not gay coyotes too http://images.fok.nl/s/pukey.gif

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000524E5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg