PDA

View Full Version : Two rates

February 10th, 2007, 21:04
The two rates for the bht i.e. offshore and inshore are as follows:

65 to the pound offshore

70.43 to the pound inshore (cash that it), I suspect TCs will be a little lower

Another sting in the tail (but this has always been the case anyway), if you exchange at say Thomas Cook you will get around 60 to the pound.

I wonder how people go on when they are buying property, when they need to PROVE they have documentation for the transaction from the UK, I suspect it is the ripoff offshore rate.

February 10th, 2007, 23:13
The two rates for the bht i.e. offshore and inshore are as follows:

65 to the pound offshore

Another sting in the tail (but this has always been the case anyway), if you exchange at say Thomas Cook you will get around 60 to the pound.

Thai Farmers Bank, Banwauo (Friday 9th) Cash 71.307 =┬г1. For some reason Thai Farmers will always offer a higher rate for sums in excess of ┬г500 which this transaction always is and generally for sums under ┬г500 it is usually about 1 Baht to the ┬г less.

Offshore varies a lot depending on the amount involved. My company ( Banking / Investments) transacts Baht by the millions on a weekly basis and the latest figure (Friday) was 68.324 = ┬г1.

February 11th, 2007, 16:26

Why do you suspect that? I have always found that you get a higher rate when exchanging T/Cs than for cash transactions!

February 11th, 2007, 19:39
TCs do command a higher rate than the normal exchange rate, however, according to Naughty but Nice an even better rate is had if you bring in cash - risky bringing cash in I know, especially lots of it - and the larger amounts you bring in, the better the rate. At one time I thought that TCs were the best bet. I will try the cash thing on my next visit, but I won't be bringing in much of it, probably a mixture of cash, TCs and my credit card (credit card only if I have to) - I bet its a rip off rate.

February 11th, 2007, 21:00
The cash rate may be higher than the TC rate but ONLY when changing very large amounts of notes. Why risk carrying such amounts ?

my credit card (credit card only if I have to) - I bet its a rip off rate.

You couldn't have said a truer word!

February 11th, 2007, 22:51
The Thais themselves practice two rates in many places - one rate for Thais to enter, another for non-Thai

February 12th, 2007, 00:45
... I've never known that, that sort of stuff is underhand, officially the banks have the official rates, even the offshore and onshore are advertised. How does one advertise a rate for the Thais and a rate for non Thai?

February 12th, 2007, 01:04
The Thais themselves practice two rates in many places - one rate for Thais to enter, another for non-Thai

The exchange rate for Thai or Non-Thai is the same.

February 12th, 2007, 04:37
I was referring the theme parks, temples and other places of amusement, diversion or entertainment

February 13th, 2007, 06:40
sorry Hom I should have read it properly!

February 27th, 2007, 17:09
... even if you have 500 pounds, at the moment I have been offered 68.50 ish to the pound, however, my travellers cheques are commanding around 69.5.

February 27th, 2007, 20:02
... even if you have 500 pounds, at the moment I have been offered 68.50 ish to the pound, however, my travellers cheques are commanding around 69.5.

Have you tried the Thai farmers Bank?

On Monday the TF Bank @ Bangwaou exchanged ┬г420 cash @ 69.732 Baht =┬г1

Bob
February 28th, 2007, 05:30
Many times I've exchanged both $100.00 traveler checks and $100.00 bills....and I've always gotten a slightly better rate with the traveler's checks (all of which is consistent with how the banks advertise what they'll pay - just look at the boards
at every money changer).

Traveler's checks are obviously safer to carry (keep the carbon receipts in a separate location so you can use them to replace the checks if lost) but some banks charge enough for them that the extra exchange rate doesn't cover the difference.
I'm lucky as my bank doesn't charge me for the traveler's checks.

February 28th, 2007, 05:49
For the sake of (possibly) the equivalent two cups of coffee or a beer, you're chasing all over town trying to get a "better" exchange rate?

February 28th, 2007, 08:29
... totally.... however, then add on to it ALL the extra charges that have been incurred in going on holiday recently and it adds up toa pretty penny, credit card fees, off money, beers, incidently in Boys of bangkok, beer is now 270 a bottle - someone somewhere is ripping us off. Ooh yep and 700 bht I paid to go hang gliding the other day.

February 28th, 2007, 08:55
... totally.... however, then add on to it ALL the extra charges that have been incurred in going on holiday recently and it adds up toa pretty penny, credit card fees, off money, beers, incidently in Boys of bangkok, beer is now 270 a bottle - someone somewhere is ripping us off. Ooh yep and 700 bht I paid to go hang gliding the other day.The remedy is your own hands, WhiteDesire. It's called the Internet, and SMS messaging via mobile phone comes a close second. I'm sure as a high-powered City trader yourself, you know all about disintermediation. If I go to such a bar at all these days it's with friends who like that sort of thing and who, generally (harlot that I am) pick up the tab. Otherwise gayromeo, gay.com, and My Little Black Book (aka Contacts in my mobile phone) stand me in good stead