PDA

View Full Version : Food recommendations in Pattaya

CHAOTOU
February 6th, 2007, 06:04
Does anyone have any recommendations for places to eat in Pattaya. In Bangkok I usually do the food stall scene. I am not familiar enough with Pattaya to find the cheap/local food. I have only been to Pattaya once and only seemed to find the expensive places. Any input would be great.

jvt22222
February 6th, 2007, 06:27
........... the best Thai food at VERY reasonable prices can be found at Ora-an-Thai (not sure of the spelling) on South Pattaya Road immediately across from the small soi/gate leading into Hollywood Disco. Has a red sign with white lettering. If you stand under the Hollywood arch and look across the street (northerly direction) you cannot miss it........... a full crowd every evening upstairs in the air conditioned dining area .............. great food, great price.

TOQ
February 6th, 2007, 07:14
........... the best Thai food at VERY reasonable prices can be found at Ora-an-Thai (not sure of the spelling) on South Pattaya Road immediately across from the small soi/gate leading into Hollywood Disco. Has a red sign with white lettering. If you stand in the under the Hollywood arch and look across the street (northerly direction) you cannot miss it........... a full crowd every evening upstairs in the air conditioned dining area .............. great food, great price.

I agree wholeheartly. I was there last night and the food was excellant as usual..I got there about 9 PM so I did have to wait a bit for the food to be served.. My friend and I had 3 dishes with rice, water and a beer.. 210B.

Hard to beat..

john

catawampuscat
February 6th, 2007, 09:34
Too bad you missed the dining experience of Pattaya at Niddys Nook. No other restaurant/eatery in this
town evoked so much press and publicity on the gaythailand web forums. You missed an opportunity to
enjoy the best hamburger this side of the Pacific, it was thick and juicy , no wait, I am plagiarizing another
poster who really hated the food but felt the need to accentuate the positive and then have short term memory
loss about the negative.
Why oh why do people keep bringing up this same old tired topic, the place is closed, let in rest in peace..
Hypocrisy is in the mind of the beholder..
PS. you really didn't miss a thing but do we really need more farangs at Or-Ah-Han Thai restaurant (best in town for Thai food
at low prices with excellent quality)

Dboy
February 6th, 2007, 14:23
The Boat is pretty good (normal place, not upscale at all). It's on 2nd road across the street from Boyztown. I like the location, food and price are reasonable, service is usually fine.

There's one place I've had really mixed experiences with. I have no idea the name, but its that big open air ahan thai place on the corner of 2nd road at pattayaland soi 1; same side of 2nd road as the 7/11. 7/11 is on the north corner, this place is on the south. Anyway the food is really good there *if* they can actually get it to the table. It's a big hangout for bar boys before/during/after work *hint-hint*.

Also on that road that connects boyztown to pattayaland soi i there are several essan women who make some damn good street food. Find them near penthouse hotel, Gacuya (did i spell that right?) anyway, there. Find the women who are grinding up stuff in their mortar/pestle. I have dreams about their food.

I know you're looking for normal food but I'll also mention Vientiene (not *too* expensive). Used to really like Vientiane when it was on 2nd road. They moved to Walking Street (Julie Complex) a year or two ago. Visited them once after the move but since I'm not a big walking street fan I haven't gone back. They have Laotian,Thai, and Esan food. They sit right on the water so it can be a romantic place at night.

There's a place right across the street from Howard's Guest House. I don't recommend it.

The fresh market on the right as you're walking on South road (across from the Wat) east towards TukCom has a really nice selection of fresh fruit as well as fresh prepared food. Highly recommend. I also like
to stop in the eccentric chinese medicine man shop (chinese herbal remedies, etc.) near this market.

There are a few places in town with sushi. The only one I've tried is the place located near the Starbucks on Beach Rd.

The beach food at jomtien is ok but sometimes cold and I wonder where its coming from, so I don't usually buy on the beach. There's plenty of food in that area though.

Dboy

February 6th, 2007, 17:44
The place at Road 2\Soi 1 was called something like Lum Fong the Flying Vegetable. I think the name changed but the old sign was still up last time I looked.

If you are walking toward Road 2 (Like from Howard's) on Soi VC, cross and continue on. There's a big outdoor food market (Near the police station, I think.) that's fun to graze.

A lady on South Road near Day\Night has wonderful fried chicken. I asked bf to show me where but he just gives me a ting-tong look. I think he thinks if I know where to get the fried chicken I won't need him anymore. He's wrong but... you know how they are.

February 17th, 2007, 05:38
I would second the vote for Boat Bakery. On my last trip I ate there at least twice a day most days. Meals were in the 59-69baht range - their menu included Thai and farang food. Their baked goods were incredible.

bing
February 17th, 2007, 09:06
If you are looking for a wide choice of eats. Try the Royal Garden. I like taking a friend there and do a bit of shopping, perhaps at the underwear joint. My personal favorite is the Japanese place. I'm not sure if it is the food or the sake I like the most. Plenty of Thai and Farang food plus a nice place to walk around. I realize it is not everyones cup of tea, but I do like the many choices. Amor in Boystown is actually my favorite place, but it may be I enjoy my chatting with Richard, who is my choice for the consummate restaurant owner. He is there and he wants you to enjoy your meal. Last time I was there I was ordering his carrot cake, and my Thai friend did not want anymore to eat. Richard spouts the phrase," Thai boys don't ever eat dessert." A few minutes later Don leans over to me and said, " He is wrong, sometimes I eat dessert." Amor has the best location in Boystown for a restaurant.

February 17th, 2007, 17:34
There is also an open-fronted Thai restaurant (don't know the name) on the Beach Road end of Pattaya Tai (South Road). If you turn left off Beach Road (where the road turns left at the entrance to Walking Street) the restaurant is about 20 metres up on the left hand side of the road. The food is reasonably authentic (but not the same as the road-side stalls) however it not frequented so much by Thais as the prices, whilst still cheap, are higher than roadside stalls because the place caters for a lot of farangs.

February 17th, 2007, 19:21
There is also an open-fronted Thai restaurant (don't know the name) on the Beach Road end of Pattaya Tai (South Road).

I was told it changed hands a couple years ago & food (was) not as good but maybe they got it together--I hope.
I think it was called Phra Pattaya; food was Chinese\Chinese Thai--Maybe why not many Thai go there, + (bfs said to me) farang price--The corn-crab soup was delicious & they had wind-dried meats hanging near the front.

February 17th, 2007, 20:33
There is also an open-fronted Thai restaurant (don't know the name) on the Beach Road end of Pattaya Tai (South Road).

I was told it changed hands a couple years ago & food (was) not as good but maybe they got it together--I hope.
I think it was called Phra Pattaya; food was Chinese\Chinese Thai--Maybe why not many Thai go there, + (bfs said to me) farang price--The corn-crab soup was delicious & they had wind-dried meats hanging near the front.
I was there last August - the food was fine and, to me very reasonably priced, but agree it is Chinese/Thai based and also agree that is probably why many Thais don't eat there although my b/f always presses me to take him there.

dab69
February 17th, 2007, 20:40
went to the above thai outdoor club with friends
they were hungry and ordered the best/freshest
large fish served over hot burning wood briquettes

also had the most incredible brown slurry
to be eaten over rice,
dunno what it was, besides very tasty

February 18th, 2007, 05:56
There's one place I've had really mixed experiences with. I have no idea the name, but its that big open air ahan thai place on the corner of 2nd road at pattayaland soi 1;

The name is PAKBOONGLOYFA

donald1
February 18th, 2007, 07:07
I third the vote for Boat Restaurant. Their breakfast (2 eggs, bacon/ham/pork/ toast & coffee/tea for 42B is good. The Boys there are very friendly and funny. The Boat Chicken is extremely delicious. The lady who makes the chicken deep fries it then bakes it. Extremely crispy and the breast is a piece that is 90% meat. usually runs out by 2-3 pm and thats it.

As far as the open air joint next to 7-11....I agree the food is cheap and tasty BUT count your change. they have been known to shortchange. I caught it and no apology given, just my 100baht. Also, on shortchanging, the bus station at ekamai. the lady shorted me 40 baht as I fumbled with my wallet and luggage. when I got to the seat and counted my change I walked back and didn't even have to say anything, she handed me 40b....beyoch......

dab69
February 18th, 2007, 14:45
As far as the open air joint next to 7-11....I agree the food is cheap and tasty BUT count your change. they have been known to shortchange. I caught it and no apology given, just my 100baht. Also, on shortchanging, the bus station at ekamai. the lady shorted me 40 baht as I fumbled with my wallet and luggage. when I got to the seat and counted my change I walked back and didn't even have to say anything, she handed me 40b....beyoch......

near atom bomb bar?

huge menu, cheap prices

hate to sit on sidewalk so near
to the sewer sidewalk- all those water bugs/beetles
not to mention the smell

at least sit indoors there

February 18th, 2007, 17:05
He always wants excactly to know where the fish is from and when delivered. If poultry or eggs are not free range he will not order any food.

There is Bruno's in Pattaya. Still the best venue for Lunch and Dinner around Pattaya.
www.brunos-pattaya.com (http://www.brunos-pattaya.com)

There is Kenya's Sea Hag Restaurant in Kathu. Since many years, the excellent restaurant in Patong.
www.kenyaphuket.com (http://www.kenyaphuket.com)

There is the Sphinx Pub in Bangkok. Still serves great food, pleasant dinks – very good value for money.
www.sphinxpub.com (http://www.sphinxpub.com)

There are many more all over Thailand.

Please bear in mind: Good food can only be based on high quality products.
High quality products cannot get cheap.

Sometimes I invite supervisor for food into a restaurant. First thing he usually does soon after we ordered our drinks is looking at the toilets, having a glimpse into the kitchen and look into corners before he starts reading the menu. For sure, we quit after finishing the drinks quite often, going for food somewhere else, regardless of Thai or foreign food.

Supervisor used to work a view years before several months as waiter in a famous Pattaya sea food place – where he would never ever order or accept any food anymore. We have been around there and talking with his friends several times. They would like to take him back at any time since he did obviously a very good job.

Supervisor decided during his Pattaya adventure that he prefers working on his farms. And he is a all around wholehearted and lovely Isaan farmer.

At home we eat naturally usually own grown “green” products which varies around the year. He sells some of his products directly to Thai restaurants – and all those places could be recommended.