PDA

View Full Version : Valentines day and chinese new year

lonelywombat
February 5th, 2007, 07:41
I am surprised to see nothing about valentines day or chinese new year, which are only a few days apart

Does thai new year , coincide with the western date or similar to the chinese date?

Are there no parties for either in Pattaya?

jinks
February 5th, 2007, 12:55
There are a couple of items in the Calendar.

Bar / Clubs / Members can add an item if they know of it.

February 5th, 2007, 14:05
Does thai new year , coincide with the western date or similar to the chinese date?

The THAI New Year is in April - it is called SONGKRAN - http://www.thaiworldview.com/feast/songkran.htm

February 5th, 2007, 21:01

Uh...how long have you been coming to Thailand?

andrewcraig
February 6th, 2007, 04:44

Uh...how long have you been coming to Thailand?

From that link
"Now the official New Year's Day happens the 1st January"

I have been coming here for 12 years usually may or november and I dont know either, never had a reason to ask

usually I ask if there is a holiday during my vacation

BG,Just because you are a lonely bitter and twisted expat that has no life, why are you so bitchy to any one and every one that posts. Do you ever have a kind word for others. maybe if you tried that you might get some in return

Would some one please answer the question civilly Is the thai new year january 1 as per the link or during Songkran

Bob
February 6th, 2007, 05:17
They don't need much to celebrate something or party in Thailand and, as luck would have it, they can enjoy three "new year" celebrations - the western one (which is probably the least celebrated), the chinese new year, and Songkran.

Just ignore BG. As you can see, he gets off being a jerk.

February 6th, 2007, 05:48
BG,Just because you are a lonely bitter and twisted expat that has no life, why are you so bitchy to any one and every one that posts. Do you ever have a kind word for others. maybe if you tried that you might get some in returnI must protest. Uncle boygeenyus has a very full and rich life, trading residential property at vast profit, while in the evenings taking up the White Man's Burden, offing go-go boys to the left and right while primly disapproving of "sex tourists" who visit Thailand for the same purpose

Would some one please answer the question civilly Is the thai new year january 1 as per the link or during SongkranThe answer is not as obvious as many would have you think. One similarity between the Thai and Chinese New Year is that neither start the numbering of their year from that date. The Thai calendar ticks over on January 1, just like everyone else. So does the Chinese. The Thai number their year from a supposed event in the life of the Buddha, just as the world now numbers its years from a supposed event in the life of the Christ. The Thais just add 543 to the Christian number and hey presto. However the Thais call their water festival the "Thai New Year", more popularly Songkran, held on a fixed date every year - http://sunsite.au.ac.th/thailand/specia ... index.html (http://sunsite.au.ac.th/thailand/special_event/songkran/index.html) - even though the year is already more than a hundred days old, measured in standard terms. So the Thai New Year is during Songkran, strictly speaking, although they're usually synonymous in practice. The Chinese use the lunar calendar, which is why the date changes every year (like Easter)

I too am somewhat gob-smacked that someone who says he's been coming to Thailand for 12 years doesn't know these simple facts

paulg
February 6th, 2007, 08:34
This is a news item from patttaya City news website

At Pattaya City Hall a colorful press conference was held in conference room 401 to confirm the details of this yearтАЩs Chinese New Year Festival which will take place between 16th and 18th February on Walking Street and the Bali Hai Port in South Pattaya. Khun Ronagit, Deputy Mayor of Pattaya, Khun Itipon, Adviser to the Mayor and Khun Soontorn, Chairman of the Walking Street Committee along with Khun Chaiwat, Director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand Region 3 announced the Festival which will undoubtedly attract many Thai and International Tourists to Pattaya. Chinese Dragons, Traditional Chinese Shows and lots of Chinese Food along the entire stretch of Walking Street are some of the highlights of the event which begins in 2 weeks time.

catawampuscat
February 6th, 2007, 09:20
Valentine's day is just a commercial promotion by the greeting card companies, florists, candy makers and anyone else
who can capitalize on creating hoopla for their own profits and greed. Mothers day, fathers day , grandparents day etal.
keep the greeting card companies humming and the candy makers, flower industry etal. Don't ask what I think about
the commercialization of Xmas..

Now, Halloween is a holiday I can get into! I would much rather get a greeting card for Halloween than for any other pseudo
holiday..
:cat:

February 6th, 2007, 09:36
Valentine's day is just a commercial promotion by the greeting card companies, ...

Add to that a poor excuse for infantile journalists to put purient interest articles in magazines and newspapers.

My research led me to believe that the Thai lunar year and thai westinized Buddhist calendar are not the same, and of course, neither is the same as the "Thai New Year" (I think). The last I checked on wikipedia the subject was not yet explained, maybe I missed it, I'm sure someone on this board might get us there with a link ?????

Geezer
February 6th, 2007, 13:10
тАЬWould some one please answer the question civilly Is the thai new year january 1 as per the link or during SongkranтАЭ

For legal purposes, ID cards, contracts (which are worthless in Thailand), etc., the Thai new year coincides with the western. The others are just another excuse to drink and get killed in traffic.

TrongpaiExpat
February 6th, 2007, 14:21
Thai ID cards? Have they changed to western dates? I am looking at my electric bill and it is in the Thai calander.

February 6th, 2007, 14:28
Thai ID cards? Have they changed to western dates? I am looking at my electric bill and it is in the Thai calander.

Thai ID cards have the Thai year (BE, or "Buddhist Era") on them (2550). But this year rolls over on January 1, just like the Western year -- not on Songkran.

paulg
February 6th, 2007, 15:19

Thai ID cards have the Thai year (BE, or "Buddhist Era") on them (2550). But this year rolls over on January 1, just like the Western year -- not on Songkran.

If it is so confusing to expats why put shit on someone who comes at other times than neW Year

I have seen smart arses on bulletin boards, but you must be the most opinionated cunt ever

God you must be a nightmare to live with. or is that your problem

No One will live with you cause you are a perfect CUNT

February 6th, 2007, 15:21
Do you kiss your mother with that potty mouth?

February 6th, 2007, 17:07
Valentine's day is just a commercial promotion by the greeting card companies, ... Add to that a poor excuse for infantile journalists to put prurient interest articles in magazines and newspapers.

Don't forget Sweetest Day: another invention of the card companies.
Ever notice it's always the twa... women who walk away with the big loot on All those days?
Valentines; 'he's' a wee shite if he doesn't give her the card stuck in a box: of candy, flowers (Roses @ $100\dozen), lingerie, furs, diamond jewelery--And 'she' says, "Oh, dear--Tee-hee, kickle-kickle--I only got you a widdle biddy card," and if he had got her (just) a flippin' card?.... freeze out! But he's hoping for a piece of ass. A piece of ass!...when head in the front seat of his SUV would cost the big-dumb-shit twenty down the Industrial Park after dark.
Same-same (S)mothers day: she could make a combo Joan Crawford\Ma Barker\Medea look warm & fuzzy and still expect all the above plus (Overpriced: Mother's Day, don'tcha know.) champagne brunch with bloody harp music. Father's Day, he has to barbecue and might get a piece of ass--If he's lucky--and still wants the old bitch (I mean the wife, not his mother (And ever wonder why the hell his wife expects a MD gift from him? (To avoid) Any storm in tye port.) or hasn't something on the side to sneak off with to the garage...or the basement loo: where I got locked in on Father's Day, when I was 14, with the neighborhunk and his fat preggers wife stuck the garden hose through the space where the basement window was open a crack and ruined a good pair of blue suede hotpants that would still fit if I had the nerve to wear em....bitch!

The last I checked on wikipedia the subject was not yet explained, maybe I missed it, I'm sure someone on this board might get us there with a link...

Sure, why not--But if everyone here learned to search...there goes the board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_New_Year

Geezer
February 6th, 2007, 17:11
тАЬThai ID cards? Have they changed to western dates? I am looking at my electric bill and it is in the Thai calander.тАЭ

The newer ID cards have the western date written in English, as well as the Thai date written in Thai. I have found that about 2/3 of the boys have the older cards.

catawampuscat
February 6th, 2007, 18:02
This forum would be a poorer place with boygeenyus and his special charms but we can easily do without
potty mouths. Jai rawng or hot temper is intensely disliked in Thailand and extremely disrespectful.. We all co exist
on this forum and somehow get along but the name calling doesn't belong here and paulg needs a vacation or he
will blow a gasket... :cat:

February 6th, 2007, 18:14
I have seen smart arses on bulletin boards, but you must be the most opinionated cunt everI dispute that. On a Board that boasts both me and The Lad, the title Most Opinionated Cunt Ever is a close run contest. It is usually used by those who blindly think that they never express opinions, merely facts. In fact most of what gets posted here is opinion in one form or another, including whether one poster or another is Most Opinionated Cunt Ever

we can easily do without potty mouthsAh yes, the person who uses that phrase the most is that twat Gareth from The Office - who typifies for me the sort of person who uses such a phrase. Fortunately or otherwise, we are not Thai, and supposed Thai standards of behaviour do not apply between ourselves

catawampuscat
February 7th, 2007, 11:29
colonel, I wouldn't have commented, if paulg called you a cunt, so I guess you have my vote and are the undisputed
title holder. Seems pathetic that grown men spend their time with such nonsense and you colonel take it to the nth
degree of foolishness and would also get my vote as the biggest bore and waste of time on this forum. I even like Hedda,
that should put the colonel in the ER. Moderators: maybe time to end this thread..

February 7th, 2007, 16:20
the title Most Opinionated Cunt Ever

I CERTAINLY appreciate those of opinions, not mere facts, even if the opinions are rather, well, ...

But is that title in your mind, or that of the milkman's?

February 7th, 2007, 18:15
What a scoop, Cat - I've been describing myself as a "bald, fat, old cunt" here, there and everywhere since before the days of this Forum being a twinkle in Elephantspike's eye. That you think more of Hedda than me says more about you than me. I'd picked you as a Heddarhoid long ago. I love Hedda, the old girl has given me endless hours of entertainment; I don't know how I would have filled in many of my days had it not been for Hedda. There are even those who have dared to suggest that I - and not Hedda - am the author of The True Hopper - http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... g.php?w=41 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/weblog.php?w=41)

Far from ending up in the ER from swooning at Hedda's name, it is Hedda who has kept me young. Even Hedda (in The True Hopper) concedes that I am the author of that tribute:

At the name of Hedda
Every knee shall bow
Whether on the earth
Or above the earth
Or under the earth

February 7th, 2007, 20:50
Far from ending up in the ER from swooning at Hedda's name, it is Hedda who has kept me young. Even Hedda (in The True Hopper) concedes that I am the author of that tribute:

Smiles gots competition it seems for Sawatdee's truest Hedda fetish.

I know enough to avoid a

Baht-Stop ========>>>>> R-A-T T-R-A-P

when I see one. I am here just waiting for someone to come on back here and get what's been waited for. You can't hide for too long, my dear.