PDA

View Full Version : Something is different...

bucknaway
February 5th, 2007, 01:24
Have any of you guys noticed that no one is sharing their Thailand vacation experiences? I remember when I first started using the message boards about Thailand, I enjoyed reading the experiences that others shared.

IN the past, new guys would post a question and the board family would offer their advice and also share some of their life experience in the process. We don't seem to get that anymore. Very few guys will share personal stories with us... At one point I felt as if I knew Pearl, Sanitree, Boxer, Smiles, Elephant and the like.... But even they have fell somewhat silent.

Still, I can remember asking about Chiang Mai and Ms Sanitree told me about her drive in the mountains of Chiang Mai... During the night she spoke of a near winter chill in the air and during the day she told of her enjoyment of having the cars A/C unit flow cool air all about her body..... Her post was a perfect warning for me and I knew to change out of my shorts into long pants before the sun went down....

I wish the old days would become new days again.

February 5th, 2007, 02:15
Nostalgia in the general sense

Nostalgia is more commonly referred to not as a medical condition or a field of study, but as a feeling that any normal person can have. Nostalgia can often be associated with a fond childhood memory, a certain game or activity, often with a certain person, or a treasured personal object.

Studies show that many people believe that years or decades past people were better off than they are now, and that there had been a higher standard of living then, even if this is not always the case. This belief can be very characteristic of nostalgia, of the "good ol' days." Items in pop culture can often trigger a strong feeling of nostalgia; TV shows like Lost In Space and foods like moon pies, for instance, can bring back wistful memories for Baby Boomers. People can also have nostalgia for a certain decade.

Though nostalgia is no longer considered a disease in modern medical literature, it can produce symptoms that are physical in nature. These symptoms can include, but are not limited to, tightening of chest and/or throat, pain in the pit of the stomach, and eventually feelings of despair. But, recent advances in cognitive, behavioral, and pediatric sciences show that feelings are real and that intense feelings of nostalgia may indeed be a sort of illness. New work by Dr. Christopher Thurber and Dr. Edward Walton in the journal Pediatrics suggests that homesickness experienced by young people may be verifiable by empirical methods, and that pediatric doctors may need training to help them recognize and treat it.

February 5th, 2007, 02:23
Have any of you guys noticed that no one is sharing their Thailand vacation experiences? I remember when I first started using the message boards about Thailand, I enjoyed reading the experiences that others shared.

IN the past, new guys would post a question and the board family would offer their advice and also share some of their life experience in the process. We don't seem to get that anymore. Very few guys will share personal stories with us... At one point I felt as if I knew Pearl, Sanitree, Boxer, Smiles, Elephant and the like.... But even they have fell somewhat silent.

Still, I can remember asking about Chiang Mai and Ms Sanitree told me about her drive in the mountains of Chiang Mai... During the night she spoke of a near winter chill in the air and during the day she told of her enjoyment of having the cars A/C unit flow cool air all about her body..... Her post was a perfect warning for me and I knew to change out of my shorts into long pants before the sun went down....

I wish the old days would become new days again.

Well written! Thank you!

I am also always keen to know more about Thailand's hidden treasures... Who is able to post some more information regarding gay and gay-friendly venues, hotels etc., especially within the Isaan region ??

February 5th, 2007, 02:58
Who is able to post some more information regarding gay and gay-friendly venues, hotels etc., especially within the Isaan region ??You could always try Utopia, who have an Isaan section - http://www.utopia-asia.com/tipsthai.htm