PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Rice Feb 3: NEW gay "Omyim Hotel Bangkok"

travelerjim
February 3rd, 2007, 17:08
Sticky Rice is updated and feature story is on The New Omyim Hotel in Bangkok...

Here is Sticky Rice link and feature story:

New gay hotel in Bangkok
Five minutes walk away from gay Bangkok
By Suzy Size, infamous writer based in gay Pattaya

Even though you are living in gay Pattaya, the necessity may arise to visit the capital of Thailand once in a while - then combine this visit with having another look at the night life of gay Bangkok. Since most of the gay bars, gay go-gos, gay massage parlors and gay discos are located in the Silom and Suriwong area, it is advisable to search for suitable accommodation right there. How many times have I stayed at probably the best gay hotel in that area?
(see story for more)...

http://www.stickyrice.ws/ .

http://www.stickyrice.ws/?view=omyim .

And here is The Omyim Hotel website...which unfortunately was forgotten and left out of the Sticky Rice feature story.
The Omyim Hotel looks like a great place to stay when in Bangkok - rooms look very nice from 750 - 900 baht and fine Thai Restaurant on ground floor too :-)

http://www.omyimgroup.com/omyimhome.html .

"Our rooms are very quiet,even though you may worry that we are only a few steps away from the Chong Nonsi Skytrain, do not worry, because all our windows are double glazed.

For more information and reservations please call : (+66) 02-635-0169,

E-mail: Omyim@omyimgroup.com"

February 3rd, 2007, 17:32
Sticky Rice is updated and feature story is on The New Omyim Hotel in Bangkok...

Here is Sticky Rice link and feature story:

New gay hotel in Bangkok
Five minutes walk away from gay Bangkok
By Suzy Size, infamous writer based in gay Pattaya

Even though you are living in gay Pattaya, the necessity may arise to visit the capital of Thailand once in a while - then combine this visit with having another look at the night life of gay Bangkok. Since most of the gay bars, gay go-gos, gay massage parlors and gay discos are located in the Silom and Suriwong area, it is advisable to search for suitable accommodation right there. How many times have I stayed at probably the best gay hotel in that area?
(see story for more)...

http://www.stickyrice.ws/ .

http://www.stickyrice.ws/?view=omyim .

And here is The Omyim Hotel website...which unfortunately was forgotten and left out of the Sticky Rice feature story.
The Omyim Hotel looks like a great place to stay when in Bangkok - rooms look very nice from 750 - 900 baht and fine Thai Restaurant on ground floor too :-)

http://www.omyimgroup.com/omyimhome.html .

"Our rooms are very quiet,even though you may worry that we are only a few steps away from the Chong Nonsi Skytrain, do not worry, because all our windows are double glazed.

For more information and reservations please call : (+66) 02-635-0169,

E-mail: Omyim@omyimgroup.com"

TravelerJim
For affordable international health insurance
Please visit www.tjinsurance.com (http://www.tjinsurance.com) .

Nothing new about this Guest House or Om Yim Cofee Net.

February 3rd, 2007, 18:24
Joiners fee, or not?

February 3rd, 2007, 21:31
probably the best gay hotel in that area?

Second floor : 850 baht or 650 baht without window
Third floor : 800 baht or 600 baht without window

Even at the notorious Bangkok Hilton you get a window, albeit with bars!
But at least they are honest and call them cells.

February 3rd, 2007, 22:55
Omyim Guest Lodge has only been opened a couple of months or so. I reckon that qualifies as new especially as it has not been covered on this board since opening though LMTU did anounce it was imminent.

It is a Gay guesthouse. I never heard of any gay place charging a joiner's fee unless you book a single and have an overnight guest/s maybe with breakfast. Then they could rightly charge for additional costs.

I must say that their website is excellent both pretty, charming and informative. I wonder why I react so negatively to rooms without windows? Windows at many hotels do not open and I spend about 2 minutes maximum looking at the view?[/list]

February 3rd, 2007, 23:09
... I previous mentioned this guest house in a post in late December and immediately got in response a deluge of negative posts from people who had stayed there

Smiles
February 3rd, 2007, 23:35
"... I previous mentioned this guest house in a post in late December and immediately got in response a deluge of negative posts from people who had stayed there ... "
Yup, right here: http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... im&start=0 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10228&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=omyim&start=0)

(What an excellent Search feature this Board has. Such a joy compared to the crapola on EZBoard).

Cheers ...

February 4th, 2007, 00:39
... I previous mentioned this guest house in a post in late December and immediately got in response a deluge of negative posts from people who had stayed there

.. and I could not agree more. Your previous comments where most helpful. Thankyou.

February 4th, 2007, 09:31
Well I have spoken to many (straights, too) that have stayed at the hotel over the past 3 months and received nothing but pleasant reviews.

It's good they tell you there are rooms with no windows. I just like rooms where I know when the dat arises, and get rather irked when I get to a hotel room without.

February 4th, 2007, 09:34
With a windowless room, at least there would be no chance of your becoming the next "flying farang"...

February 4th, 2007, 13:00
With a windowless room, at least there would be no chance of your becoming the next "flying farang"...
True, but there's always the handcuffed-to-both-bedposts-with-a-plastic-bag-tied-over-the-head suicide scenario.

February 9th, 2007, 16:22
I stayed at Om Yim for 16 nights at the start of this year. Its basic, very clean, certainly met my needs. Staff were always friendly and helpful. Restaurant was excellent the couple of times I ate there. Great location, close to Silom, and good to be next to the BTS.
My thai friend negotiated a 10% discount, so I ended up only paying 765B a nite, which I consider great value. Will be my first choice for the next trip.

Alaan
February 13th, 2007, 05:28
Hi dave_syd thanks for the report. I'm visiting Thailand near the end of the month and have already a reservation at the Tarntawan booked 2 months ago. But a very late change to plans has come up and we needed to stay an extra 3 nights in Bangkok at the start of my trip, so my friend has booked us in at the Om Yim at very short notice. I hoped you might be able to advise on the following.....In your experience is it gay or just gay friendly? is the reception open 24hrs and/or is there night security for returning from festivities in the early hours? Is there a joiner policy and do they keep IDs? With regard to the rooms are they well sound-proofed or paper thin walls? My friend has booked two adjoining rooms with windows on the 4th floor...as i understand it ..there is no lift...do they have any porter staff? Thanks in advance for any replies.

February 14th, 2007, 20:09
Hi dave_syd thanks for the report. I'm visiting Thailand near the end of the month and have already a reservation at the Tarntawan booked 2 months ago. But a very late change to plans has come up and we needed to stay an extra 3 nights in Bangkok at the start of my trip, so my friend has booked us in at the Om Yim at very short notice. I hoped you might be able to advise on the following.....In your experience is it gay or just gay friendly? is the reception open 24hrs and/or is there night security for returning from festivities in the early hours? Is there a joiner policy and do they keep IDs? With regard to the rooms are they well sound-proofed or paper thin walls? My friend has booked two adjoining rooms with windows on the 4th floor...as i understand it ..there is no lift...do they have any porter staff? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Om Yim is certainly gay friendly, seems the owners may well be gay (only my guess). But really, most of Bangkok is gay friendly, certainly in that area.
reception is staffed 24 hours, usually the same poor guy who is always cheerful, usually teasing me if I got back to the hotel before 3am (infrequent occurrence)
no joiners fee, but they do hold onto the guy's ID card.
the walls seem pretty well sound proofed, but I did notice a bit of noise from the corridors. not really a drama, as its only a small place so not many people going past the room. but maybe u will get woken up in the morning by people walking down for breakfast.
4th floor, hope you like walking up stairs! they have staff who I am sure would carry your bags. but i wouldnt expect them to do that myself.
Try out the restaurant, excellent food and of course cheap.

Alaan
February 14th, 2007, 23:06
Thanks for the reply, I wasn't sure if this place had a guesthouse or hotel classification, and I've never stayed in a guesthouse in Thailand, only hotels, that is apart from Thai friends homes or rooms, and I do like having 24hr reception with ids held as is the case with the Tarntawan, that was the only concern I had, the other questions were just out of curiosity. It is not a great issue if the place is mixed but I prefer the atmosphere if the clientele is mostly gay... the stairs are no problem.. when I stay in Pattaya at the Flamingo I always stay top (3rd) floor and view stair climbing as good exercise .. I only asked about the porter for help on arrival as on the first day of a 4 week stay I have all my luggage with me including my guitar with case. I will indeed try their food, and it will interesting to see how I get on staying there as I've only ever stayed at the Tarntawan and the Karnmanee (Sapahan Kwai) when in Bangkok and I'll post a crit of the place when I return.