PDA

View Full Version : DELETED

February 1st, 2007, 14:35
DELETED

February 1st, 2007, 14:41
็There is no way in hell he should even consider starting a business in Chiang Mai if he's so clueless as to be asking general questions like these. If you're a real friend, you'll tell him so.

SteveSF-old
February 1st, 2007, 15:08
Your friend better start with a large fortune, and be prepared to watch it shrink steadily. Your friend should have several million Baht that he is willing to lose, if he is going to start at all. One of the biggest mistakes people make in starting a business anywhere is being under capitalized.
Chiang Mai is a nice city in which to retire, but a tough one to make money as a foreigner. I had lived there for a few years, and while the scene has grown over time, it is still small, and barely supports the bars and guesthouses that are there now. From what I have heard from friends there, the gay massage venues have had some success, but it seems a bit late to me to chase that trend.
Does your friend have any experience running a service business? Does he speak passable Thai? If not, then this is a particularly difficult environment in which to learn. It is not impossible, and I do know some people who have succeeded, but it was a lot of hard work over many years on their part. For the most part, they did have to learn the language, and how to get along with the authorities, who can be quite capricious.
What kind of visa will your friend be using to stay in Thailand? If it is a retirement visa, then he can NOT work at his establishment, and if he tries to do so, can lose his status if someone rats him out. If he wants an working visa for himself, then he should note the increased capital requirements. Anyone have specific knowledge about this?

February 1st, 2007, 17:08
Chiang Mai is a nice city in which to retire, but a tough one to make money as a foreigner. I had lived there for a few years, and while the scene has grown over time, it is still small, and barely supports the bars and guesthouses that are there now. From what I have heard from friends there, the gay massage venues have had some success, but it seems a bit late to me to chase that trend.

John, you didn't indicate if the friend was Thai or farang?

Chiang Mai is a nice city. However I was once told by a Thai friend living there that the vast majority of gay businesses there are owned/controlled by the local 'mafia' and 'influential people' who jealously guard their assets and 'discourage' foreigners from setting up in business against them. How true this is I don't know but be warned!

February 1st, 2007, 17:32
How about a restaurant offering a cuisine not offered anywhere in town?
Like Peruvian (ceviche) or Ethiopian (only one in Bangkok) or some kind of specialty like wet tortas abhogadas (pork sandwich in crispy bread the Guadalajara style covered in a thin red chile sauce?
Something not obvious for a change!

I agree competing with a local Thai mafia could prove fatal. But they won't mind if you do something completely different.

February 1st, 2007, 17:44
Like Peruvian (ceviche) or Ethiopian (only one in Bangkok) or some kind of specialty like wet tortas abhogadas (pork sandwich in crispy bread the Guadalajara style covered in a thin red chile sauce?

Or a REAL KOSHER RESTAURANT with Shabbat candles in Menorah, specially for you!

February 1st, 2007, 17:55

Or a REAL KOSHER RESTAURANT with Shabbat candles in Menorah, specially for you!
You're a real bitch, aren't you?
Anyway, I think Israeli food is already on offer in Chiang Mai.

February 1st, 2007, 19:47
You're a real bitch, aren't you?

If you think that's bad, you should see me when I'm on heat ! :joker:

TrongpaiExpat
February 1st, 2007, 21:10
Have him book a room at PJ's and introduce himself to the owner, Peter. Peter also knows other gay business owners and could put him in touch with them as well as give him a general ideal of the gay business climate in Chiang Mai.

Bob
February 2nd, 2007, 04:51
Having vacationed 2-3 times per year in Chiangmai for the last many years, I don't recall any time where any of the gay venues I saw were ever very busy or consistently busy. Adams Apple, when it was open, seemed to be fairly busy for a few hours on Friday and Saturday nights but I've never seen other places (I mainly am around the night market bars) very busy. Always seems slow to me and I always wonder how they make it.

haikudude
February 2nd, 2007, 07:35
My Partner and I (both farang) started a business over a year ago opening a guesthouse, bar and restaurant. We are gay, and have a small following of gay cliental. We have some nice Thai boys working for us, some nice eye candy. However we are not strictly a gay establishment. Does his business need to be gay? Tell him to broaden his market and he may have a better chance of success.

And yes, he needs plenty of capital, good lawyers, and pay taxes and social to the legit Thai Government. He should make plenty of Thai friends who can sometimes help. His employees can help too with language difficulties. Save during the high season to help carry over at low season. And perhaps acquire an excisting business instead of making a new one as this may be easier when it comes to cranky competitors. Anybody can make it here if they want. His business is what he makes of it. It should be a fun, inviting and friendly place. Location helps too.

Chiang Mai seems to be booming right now, at least to me. Plenty of tourists coming to experience the north, its people and culture. And I love the Lanna folk. Shy, yet charming and graceful.

February 2nd, 2007, 13:43
DELETED

Dodger
February 2nd, 2007, 15:34
Boygeenyus States...

There is no way in hell he should even consider starting a business in Chiang Mai if he's so clueless as to be asking general questions like these.

I remember reading once that Walt Disney asked the same question as Johns friend shortly before opening his first business in California.

hmmmmmm....

February 2nd, 2007, 21:30
Boygeenyus States...

There is no way in hell he should even consider starting a business in Chiang Mai if he's so clueless as to be asking general questions like these.

I remember reading once that Walt Disney asked the same question as Johns friend shortly before opening his first business in California.

hmmmmmm....

Silly me, what was I thinking? Thailand -- and Chiang Mai in particular -- is so fecund a business atmosphere, with absolutely no pitfalls to be wary of whatsoever, that even the most clueless and ignorant farang could not possibly help becoming rich overnight in a gay business there. Please tell you friend to dive in headfirst -- go ahead, plop down the nest egg...it's safe and the water's fine!

allieb
February 2nd, 2007, 23:50
[/quote]I agree competing with a local Thai mafia could prove fatal. But they won't mind if you do something completely different.[/quote]

Like leave Chiang Mai and set up business somewhere else in the middle of nowhere.