PDA

View Full Version : Tale of Two Airports

February 1st, 2007, 11:09
Two Airports? A good idea?

I have a lot of Houston experience. There are two airports there, spaced maybe twice what Suvarnabhumi/Don Maung are spaced. But I bet Bangkok has a lot more people than Houston, much higher density here at least. I always prefer Houston Hobby over Dubya as it is nearer town. Here in Bangkok neither airport seems farther than the other from me.

Of course, Pattayans would prefer to fly from SVP.

New York has 3 airports, as well as LAX/ON/LB in the greater LA area.

There might be some rule about Don Maung I would think, to make it easier to decide what types of flights use it. Maybe 'only domestic' or 'no domestic/intl transfers', unless you want to plan your own transfer (carry bags between terminals/risk delays).

The prospect of lower prices from Don Maung on many regional flights has me favoring two airports.

The IATA, which seems to have something pegged to SVP's success, or just hates the Thai airforce, thinks 2 airports in Bangkok are a bad idea. I couldn't care about Thailand's "status" and can't see how travellers would be delayed once the new arrangement sinks in. ...

IATA WARNING:
Using 2 airports 'a huge hassle'

Status as aviation hub will be hit and travellers delayed

The International Air Transport Association says using two airports in Bangkok will hit Thailand's potential to be an aviation hub, and flight connections between the two airports will be a major inconvenience for travellers.

"To grow Bangkok as an aviation hub, the long-term vision should be to have all commercial flights operating out of one airport. A two-airport operation will dampen Bangkok's potential for becoming an aviation hub. Making flight connections between the two airports will be a huge inconvenience for passengers," said Albert Tjoeng, Asia-Pacific manager for corporate communications.

In addition to fixing the problems at Suvarnabhumi, Airports of Thailand should also quickly start work on building the much-needed additional capacity at the new airport, he said.

Next Tuesday, the Cabinet will consider whether Thailand should operate both Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang. So far, Thai Airways International, Bangkok Airways and Nok Air have confirmed their readiness to move domestic flights to Don Muang.

Nok Air, the sister budget airline of Thai Airways International, said it would operate from both airports.

Nok Air CEO Patee Sarasin said the airline would move all domestic flights from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Don Muang Airport within 30-45 days.

"We'll move all 60 daily flights to Don Muang," Patee said.

Nok Air expected to spend less than Bt2 million on setting up a computer and IT system and moving some employees back to the old airport. Returning to Don Muang would give passengers more convenience, especially helping them reduce transport costs.

Patee said total operating costs at Don Muang would be 5 per cent lower than at Suvarnabhumi, because the major costs are fuel and airport services. Patee also said Nok Air planned to operate an international route from Bangkok to Bangalore, India, in the second quarter. This flight would use Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Two budget airlines, Nok Air and Thai AirAsia, confirmed plans to keep using Suvarnabhumi, as they believe overall operating costs will be only 5 per cent higher than at Don Muang.

Nok Air said the airline would retain its ticket-selling facilities at Suvarnabhumi in preparation for further operations.

Patee suggested the government take responsibility for the airport's problems by restoring the confidence of international airlines so that they keep Bangkok as part their network.

Thai AirAsia, 50 per cent of whose passengers are foreigners, said it would keep using Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Suchat Sritama

The Nation

February 5th, 2007, 06:09
The adjoined military wing of Don Muang is still in use.
It is just a questions of getting the commercial part into gear again. IATA coding for international recognition (bookings) is needed and some other procedures have to be meet. Linking two airports by bus services is one option, but the traffic at the northeastern ring road is worsening daily..
There is a lot more trained staff needed and some people do not like the split of business. ... Plenty of equipment has been moved to the new airport.

Who is paying for all this?