PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Up2U
January 29th, 2006, 11:47
A good friend had his Sony digital camera taken from his condo by a bar boy he had offed from a Pattaya go-go bar. Should he go back to the bar and confront the boy or talk to the bar owner? He wouldn't make a public scene in the bar and has even considered offing the boy again and then discuss it privately. I told him to go talk to the owner.

bucknaway
January 29th, 2006, 11:58
What would you do if the TV repair man did the same thing?

Report him.

January 29th, 2006, 12:08
This is a more complex question than it first appears.
What is likely to happen if you report him?
For example, you speak to the bar management and accuse him, and maybe ask for the camera back.
Does he get fired?
Does he get arrested?
If he gets arrested, would the farang need to be a witness?
How many farangs would welcome police scrutiny over their bar visit habits?
You could also just ask the boy directly for the camera back, but hey, maybe he is a yaba addict and would turn violent.
I don't have the answers, but again, doesn't sound that simple.

January 29th, 2006, 12:16
remember you are a visitor and even if the law has been broken it doesn't always end up the way it should. I would talk to the boy first discreetly. You don't want to make an enemy no matter how justified you are and what proof do you really have ? sounds like it's your word against his.

dab69
January 29th, 2006, 14:33
obviously someone you "off" you wouldn't want to go to prison, but he DID steal from you....
maybe talk to him first, give him another chance if possible

January 29th, 2006, 14:48
I told him to go talk to the owner.

If I believed the bar owner is a reasonable person; I'd tell him I don't want to make trouble, I just want my camera back.
But understand, the longer he waits the greater the possibility, "It go pawn shop," and he is running a risk of the boy, &/or his friends, retaliating, especially if the boy is fired.

Dodger
January 29th, 2006, 14:53
It's not often that you hear about a gogo boy stealing from his customer. I'm assuming your friend is absolutely sure the "boy" did it, and didn't leave it sitting on a bar top somewhere. Of course, if he actually witnessed the boy stealing it that's a different story...but I rather doubt it.

It's probably just another one of those..."gee, where the hells my camera...I know I put it on the coffee table when I stumbled in from the bar last night...it must have been that boy I offed from Bonerboyz Gogo Bar...he was carrying that little bag around his shoulder when he left and he did seem in a hurry".

January 29th, 2006, 14:58
it must have been that boy I offed from Bonerboyz Gogo Bar....

"Bonerboys," I love it!...Wonderful name! Is it new? Where is it located?...It sounds like a town in Sussex....

January 29th, 2006, 15:30
This happens all the time. Bar or street boys stealing.
A lot more than you think.
NEVER let them out of your site or at least hide your valuables.

Forget it. You lost.

January 29th, 2006, 15:42
In ten years of coming to Thailand, I thought it happened to me once.
I found the object in question, luckily; before I accused anyone.

Nevertheless, one needs be careful. Especially, with small, easily portable items.
If I know better--And still put temptation in someone way...well, shame on me too.

January 29th, 2006, 17:14
I know it's a cliche but put it down to experience and don't leave anything of value lying about in the future. The two reasons for this have already been given; firstly, you can never be absolutely sure what happened and secondly. once you involve the authorities in a foreign country, you never know what may follow.

January 29th, 2006, 17:14
it must have been that boy I offed from Bonerboyz Gogo Bar....

"Bonerboys," I love it!...Wonderful name! Is it new? Where is it located?...It sounds like a town in Sussex....

Being born and bred in Sussex I must object to this slur on that beautiful county.

Although I must admit that until she passed away recently my mother lived in a house at the junction of 'Big Cock Lane' in a small village in West Sussex.

bedbugy1-old
January 29th, 2006, 17:57
was it called idle

Up2U
January 29th, 2006, 19:02
"It's not often that you hear about a gogo boy stealing from his customer. I'm assuming your friend is absolutely sure the "boy" did it, and didn't leave it sitting on a bar top somewhere. Of course, if he actually witnessed the boy stealing it that's a different story...but I rather doubt it.

It's probably just another one of those..."gee, where the hells my camera...I know I put it on the coffee table when I stumbled in from the bar last night...it must have been that boy I offed from Bonerboyz Gogo Bar...he was carrying that little bag around his shoulder when he left and he did seem in a hurry". "...Dodger, don't want to into all the details but the boy is guilty beyond any reasonable doubt. My friend is a seasoned veteran of offing go-go boys and takes necessary precautions. He realizes the camera is history but doesn't want the incident to go unnoticed or forgotten.

dab69
January 29th, 2006, 23:01
was just getting into taxi, last night in BKK @ Cityboys Sukumvit Soi 1,
they come running out with the videocamera I had forgotten inside the bar...
and the economy wasn't real good there in 1998 either.
they knew I had a flight the next AM

January 29th, 2006, 23:29
I left a new expensive 22,000 baht web email phone and a normal 10.000 mobile, in the room laying about and 11,000 baht in my pocket.

The phrase 'You bleeding idiot' springs to mind

January 29th, 2006, 23:43
I left a brand new digital camera hanging on the back of a chair at a Pattaya eatery. Many hours later I realized what a dummy I had been. I went back to the cafe the next morning and my waiter from the previous day went into the back a brought out my camera. Needless to say, he got a nice tip and I had several more meals there during the rest of the stay.

bucknaway
January 29th, 2006, 23:45
Heck, I was wondering how I could retire in Thailand with a decent amount of cash... It now seems I need not worry. I can come and steal from you guys and it seems some of you may even tip me so I don't turn myself into the police! LOL

Maybe I will get more if I hold myself hostage like in the move Blazing Saddles! LOL

Give me 10,000 Baht! Or the black man gets it! (Holding gun on myself) Hahahaha :D

January 29th, 2006, 23:48
Heck, I was wondering how I could retire in Thailand with a decent amount of cash... It now seems I need not worry. I can come and steal from you guys and it seems some of you may even tip me so I don't turn myself into the police! LOL

Maybe I will get more if I hold myself hostage like in the move Blazing Saddles! LOL

Give me 10,000 Baht! Or the black man gets it! (Holding gun on myself) Hahahaha :D
Fat chance!
We would turn YOU in.

bucknaway
January 29th, 2006, 23:51
Dam... :( That is the story of my life... Nothing goes right for me :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/paulindelaware/redx2.gif

January 30th, 2006, 00:03
Do not put the milk and the cat together !

Do never show off your digital, laptop, money, credit cards ... in your room. The moment makes the thief, even your boy had not the attention to steal from you, all that money can make him dishy one moment.

January 30th, 2006, 18:31

Fat chance!
We would turn YOU in.

Turn him in? That's, surprisingly, kind of you, Thaiquila.

I'd let him shoot! :cyclops:

colmx
February 1st, 2006, 03:59
Of the countless guys that i have been with over the years I have only been robbed by one...

He was a freelancer that was working in a Str8 hotel in Pattaya, that i met in Le Cafe Royale one night, at the time i was living in Center Condo and had 1,500 Baht in my wallet on the way home so i could pay him (was not sure if it was going to be a freebie or I'd have tp pay)

The next morning when it came to time to say goodbye i found i only had 1000 in my wallet... I gave him the 1000 and bade him farewell, have often met him since and he has often tried for short time again, but naturally i refused...

Another time i thought i had been robbed, this was by a guy who I knew very well (he was an ex-Bf with what i now know was a major ya-ba addiction) and this was during an attempted reconciliation. In the morning i wanted to give some cash but i could not find my wallet... I searched the room but could not find it... he said not to worry and went to walk out of the room....

I stopped him from leaving and asked him outright if he had my wallet to which he answered NO! I stopped short of actually frisking him and asked him to wait a few minutes... eventually i found my wallet in an obscure pocket of my Laptop Backpack... it was only then i remembered putting it there in a drunken haze the night before...

I'm so glad i never actually frisked him! As other pointed out above its easy to misplace things when you have been drinking!

colmx
February 1st, 2006, 04:05
I just thought of another occasion where drunken-ness nearly got the better of me... This time however it wasn't me that was drunk!

BF and I off'ed a guy from Fresh Boys in Bkk and after visiting DJ and the Karaoke place near malaysia (s'paragon?) we headed back to our hotel room in the Babylon Barracks...

Bf locked both our wallets, mobiles and my digicam in the roomsafe.

Later when the deed was done and it was time to pay the boy, Bf tried to open the safe and realised he had forgotten the combination!

We had to call to reception and wake the manager so he could unlock our safe for us, all whilst the boy was hanging around waiting for his money!

The worst thing about this incident was that i never got to take a pic of the boy to keep for posterity.... (no its not a trophy collection I just like to keep pics of those who i have shared enjoyable times with!)