PDA

View Full Version : Going for a Driver's License in Chonburi Province

January 27th, 2007, 21:51
Anyone here need to go to the Chonburi driver's license place soon (within a month or so)? I need to go for the first time, and could use help with a ride (could pay expenses etc.), moral (or immoral) support, or if you are going without a car, we could share a taxi. From Jomtien, natch.

PM me if interested.

TrongpaiExpat
January 27th, 2007, 23:36
This site is helpful, get all your paperwork in order first. I hear that the Pattaya Land Transp. Dept. does not accept anything less than an international license. Bangkok is not that strict.

Thai Drivers License (http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html)

2lz2p
January 28th, 2007, 07:40
From the linked web site:

A certified letter of address from the applicant's embassy, or from the Immigration Bureau (document can not be older than 30 days).
Tip: The letter from the embassy is the fastest option, but the immigration office will provide this service for free. However, it will take them 3-6 weeks to complete and an officer from your local police station will visit your place of residence for verification.

2 photos, 1 x 1 inch and not older than 6 months (photo service is available on the premises).

Valid international driver's license plus signed photocopy or translated regular driving licence from the applicant's home country, certified by Embassy or consulate. (if available).

Pattaya Immigration provides the letter of residence at the time you apply for it or, if busy, later in the day. When I rec'd mine, they charged 200 baht -- subsequent renewal for 5 year license, there was no charge for the letter. They require copy of lease or house paper showing the residence address. I used my lease for initial and renewal letter, which was in English language - no problem, no translation needed.

Proper size photos can be obtained from the "shops" opposite the driver license office - they also can make copies from your passport - just hand it to them, they know exactly which pages to copy. Remember to sign each photocopy before presenting with the application.

If you have the valid International Driving Permit, no driving or written test is required. I have heard "mixed" reports about acceptance of your existing home country/state driving license if you do not have the International Permit. One is that if the document states on it that it is a driving license, then it will probably be accepted allowing you to forgo the tests. It is my understanding that some US States do not specifically state "driving license" on the document. No translated copy of the driving license was required - only a photocopy.

The first license will be for one year. When it is renewed, it will be valid for 5 years. Some folks at the Expat club have noted that for renewal, wait till a day or two after it expires -- seems that if you go in before, they will not issue a 5 year license as you have not had the other one for a full 12 months. Another tip was that at renewal, make sure your photo does not show you wearing the same (favorite ?) shirt -- I had a German friend that happened to be wearing the same shirt as his previous picture - had to get new photos as the driving license folks were insisting that the new photos were not "current."

January 28th, 2007, 08:00
If your just after a driving license then you do not have to travel to Chonburi, go to the Banglamung office for that. I had both my Motorbike and Car D/L's issued there.

January 28th, 2007, 10:09
If your just after a driving license then you do not have to travel to Chonburi, go to the Banglamung office for that. I had both my Motorbike and Car D/L's issued there.
Really, are you sure? I am very surprised by that. Where exactly is the Banglamung office?

Boxer
January 28th, 2007, 11:05
The office is at rear of Regent School on highway 3 not in Chonburi town or Banglamung town.

January 28th, 2007, 11:53
The office is at rear of Regent School on highway 3 not in Chonburi town or Banglamung town.
Yes, that is what I thought.
I didn't mean Chonburi city, I meant Chonburi province.
I was hoping there was a closer office to Pattaya city; I guess not.

TrongpaiExpat
January 28th, 2007, 12:37
The Bangkok office accepted my US Drivers License without an international DL and without a translation. The Bangkok office, however, will only accept the Embassy letter as proof of an address. That cost me 1,200B but did not take very long.

Of course this being Thailand tomorrow the rules can change from day to day.

2lz2p
January 28th, 2007, 16:11
Boxer, I think you left off the "6. To clarify, the Banglamung office is on Hwy 36 going to Rayong - Not Hwy 3 going to Chonburi. " Coming from Pattaya, you will pass the school on the right. Just before the Hwy 7 motorway entrance, there is a U-turn - take it and going back toward Pattaya turn left at first road after the school (now on your left). Follow the road - it will curve to the left - on the right side will be the driver license office - large 2-story building with parking area in front. The driver license office is on the 2nd floor. As mentioned, the shops opposite the DL office have photocopy machines and can also take the DL photos.