PDA

View Full Version : Thailand's sad airport fiasco ...

Smiles
January 27th, 2007, 04:03
(These thoughts posted already on the 'old' Sawatdee as I could not post here up until now due to being threatened with going to hell. So this will double as a "test" post)
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________

It's pretty obvious now (to me at least) that the underlying Thai system of institutionalized & endemic corruption in just about every aspect of life there, plus the Thai's notion of "kreng jai" in all things (i.e. the Thai cultural/psychological necessity to allow all men and women to "save face" under all circumstances) have come together to create the Perfect Storm: the gradual breaking apart brick-by-brick of Thailand's new airport.

Built on top of a swamp, opened too early, plagued by screw ups both petty (not enough toilets) and fundamental (cracks in taxiways & possibly runways), the airport debacle has now caused the Thai corruption 'system' to be unmasked for the world to see . . . as well as becoming the biggest face-loser of all.

AVIATION / SUVARNABHUMI PROBLEMS

Prasert seeks speedy Don Muang decision
BOONSONG KOSITCHOTETHANA

There is an urgent need for the government to shift all domestic air traffic to Don Muang, immediately fix all the construction flaws and build two new runways at the troubled Suvarnabhumi Airport, says a local aviation industry leader. Dr Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth, chief executive of Bangkok Airways, said problems at Bangkok's new airport were reaching a critical point.

The founder of the 39-year-old privately owned carrier is the first airline executive to express grave concern over more discoveries of multiple cracks at taxiways and runways at Suvarnabhumi.

''The most serious problem to happen to an airport is cracks in runways, which have critical implications on safety for jetliners and passengers,'' he said.

''What I envisage today is that there is a good chance the cracks would spread to a wider area unless remedial actions are taken immediately.''

First, Dr Prasert advocated that the government return all domestic commercial flights to the 92-year-old Don Muang airport to alleviate traffic stress on Suvarnabhumi by 30%, and to slow the spread of cracks and subsidence of runways.

International flights, which constitute 70% of air traffic through Suvarnabhumi, should remain at the new airport, which was opened on Sept 28 amid criticisms of deficiencies and allegations of corruption.

Second, he said, officials should start building the third and fourth runways at Suvarnabhumi right away while also repairing the existing runways and taxiways.

Furthermore, they should speedily correct all the flaws such as cracks and leaking roofs in the terminal, build more toilets and install more escalators, he said.

He said Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) should spare no effort and money to revive Suvarnabhumi to regain falling confidence among the aviation industry and travellers.

''In fact, it could be an ideal solution if they could completely shut down Suvarnabhumi for repairs and additional construction. But that would create even more problems and chaos'' as a shutdown could last up to two years, he said.

The runway and taxiway cracks apparently are linked to an unproven construction technique using a soil-compacting method known as PVD rather than the conventional means of using concrete columns for foundations, he pointed out.

He warned that AoT should insist on using the standard method for building the third and fourth runways.

Dr Prasert said the new runways should be made available in the next two years, noting that a 3,600-metre runway could be built within 18 months at the cost of 10-12 billion baht.

Once the new runways and repairs are completed, all commercial flights should be go through the new airport.

Ideally, he said, any country should have one main airport, unless there is a question of capacity insufficiency, he said.

''Of course, Thailand will lose out in terms of lower air traffic and national image, but we must be brave enough to admit the flaws and correct them rather than having the world saying that our airport is unsafe,'' he said.

The problems at Suvarnabhumi have already reduced its capacity from 72 flights per hour to about 60, according to AoT.

Bangkok Airways is prepared to move its domestic flights back to Don Muang even though it would lose connections with its international services and face higher costs in running two bases.

''We have no choice but to face the same karma,'' Dr Prasert said.

The AoT board recently resolved to shift non-connecting domestic flights to Don Muang. To date only three airlines _ Thai Airways International, Nok Air and One-Two-Go _ have said they would be willing to make the move. ( http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/26Jan2007_biz50.php )

The downside of 'kreng jai' nature ( there are upsides :blackeye: ) . . . and a worrisome attitude towards airport safety in general (and who knows what else):

DCA director general Chaisak Angkasuwan said they would wait until Thailand passed a law due within months requiring all airports to meet ICAO standards, and then reassess the situation at Suvarnabhumi. "Getting the certificate is not legally binding so Suvarnabhumi can operate without such a certificate," Chaisak told AFP. However, he conceded the move would knock confidence in Suvarnabhumi...

Sonthi (Thailand's military coup leader) was asked about the problems in an interview with news channel CNN on Friday, but declined to discuss it. "I don't want to talk about this issue," he reportedly said during the interview, which is due to be broadcast Friday night. "It's such an embarrassing thing, it should not be disclosed to foreign countries as it is our internal problem which we have to fix by ourselves." (my emphasis)

bur/cm/km Thailand-aviation-travel- airport AFP 261053 GMT JAN 07

Cheers ...

January 27th, 2007, 08:11
Airport denied seal of approval

Will continue to operate despite many 'structural, management' faults

Confidence over the safety of Suvarna-bhumi Airport has suffered another major blow, with aviation authorities yesterday refusing to extend its interim Aerodrome Certificate. The certificate, which shows an airport meets international safety requirements, expired on Thursday. Civil Aviation Department officials said they had received phone calls from international pilots expressing concern after learning about the department's decision to leave Suvarnabhumi in a certification "no man's land".

Department director-general Chaisak Angsuwan said the decision stemmed from multiple structural and management problems at the airport. Pavement cracks on runways, taxiways and tarmacs are scattered over about 100,000 square metres of the airfield, forcing partial closure for repair work over the past few weeks. The next closure for repair of the eastern runway was planned for four hours early today.

"We also found management problems," Chaisak said. "For example, the aerodrome operation manual that provides instruction for airport maintenance and accidents still contains incorrect information, which could cause confusion for operators, especially in case of emergencies." However, Chaisak said the lack of an Aerodrome Certificate would not lead to the airport's closure because Suvarnabhumi is operated under a local licence, just like Don Muang and other airports in Thailand.

The Aerodrome Certificate is a recent attempt by the UN International Civil Aviation Organisation to standardise airport operations around the world, but Thailand has not yet issued a law to respond to this new requirement. While no airport in Thailand has been certified, eight airports in Malaysia have obtained the certificates, as well as two in Singapore, two in the Philippines and one in Hong Kong. Eight in South Korea, one in North Korea and 93 in Japan have also been certified.

Chaisak said the interim certificate issued by his agency to Suvarnabhumi six months ago in response to the rush to open the airport for domestic flights in July, and the official opening in September, had no legal foundation. "We are updating our legal system for aviation, hopefully this year," he said. "Until then, Airports of Thailand [operator of Suvarnabhumi] has time to improve the airport and we can start the certification process anew."

However, Suvarnabhumi being left in a state of certification "no man's land" has concerned some pilots. A professional Thai pilot told The Nation the lack of certification would affect confidence in the international pilot community about the safety of Thailand's brand-new airport. "If I were a foreign pilot, how could I trust that I would be given the right instruction when I had to fly in and out of an airport without international recognition?" he said. "And I would be particularly concerned if I had to deal with disruptive weather or other emergencies. I don't know who has to bear responsibility in the event a wrong decision is made."

Nantiya Tangwisutijit

The Nation

January 27th, 2007, 08:14
Airlines worried by cracks in Bangkok's airport

January 26, 2007 - 11:47AM

International airlines say they are afraid to use Bangkok's new airport because of safety concerns amid reports incoming flights had been either delayed or forced to land at a military airport in the nearby province of Chon Buri. Suvarnabhumi Airport, the multi-million dollar showcase gateway to Thailand for many foreign tourists, yesterday had its west runway closed for repairs for two hours.

Transport Minister Admiral Theera Haocharoen admitted airport authorities had found 25 cracks in taxiways that made it impossible for aircraft to use 11 of the airport's aero-bridges. "This has started to affect the country's image and some airlines are afraid to use Suvarnabhumi due to safety fears," he said. He refused to order airport officials to close down the new facility, but instead to carry out temporary repairs on the cracks in the taxiways and one at the head of the 4,000 metre long runway.

The airport has been mired in allegations of corruption since its fanfare opening last September, with complaints of sub-standard materials used in its construction, not just on runways and taxiways, but throughout the terminal. Theera said engineers would start to carry out these repairs "within the next few weeks".

Some flights had to circle the airport yesterday or land at U-Tapao military airfield in Chon Buri for refuelling and temporary parking. A Thai Airways International spokesman said two flights were delayed by more than one hour. One passenger aboard a domestic Thai Airways flight from Hat Yai, in Thailand's far south, said his aircraft had been diverted to U-Tapao airfield where passengers were forced to sit for an hour before the flight could return to Suvarnabhumi. "My flight was the first to get to U-Tapao and during the hour I saw four or five more planes land, one of them belonging to Thai AirAsia," he said. Flight TG 240, another flight from Hat Yai, delayed takeoff for 40 minutes and passengers were told they had to wait till Suvarnabhumi Airport was less congested.

Somchai Sawasdeepon, Airports of Thailand (AoT) senior executive vice president and Suvarnabhumi director, said the west runway had been closed for repairs from 2pm to 4pm. "We ordered a number of flights to stop over at U-Tapao where they could refill their tanks," he said. After a two-hour on-the-spot inspection Theera admitted 11 aero-bridges were sealed off due to subsidence on taxiways.

In the first official admission of serious damage, Theera identified more than 100 points at 25 areas on taxiways and one point on the west runway where damage had occurred. Seven points on the taxiways had been repaired but subsidence had recurred after two weeks. "Cracks have also been found at many other areas. This will affect travellers on planes that cannot reach 11 aero-bridges, while the repairs have caused traffic jams," Theera said. While admitting the airport needs swift repairs, Theera said Suvarnabhumi would not be closed and denied that Bangkok's old international airport, Don Muang, would be reopened as had been demanded by many budget airlines to ease congestion at the new airport.

Deputy Prime Minister Kosit Panpiemras has also opposed shifting flights to Don Muang, saying it would inconvenience travellers. Over the next fortnight an investigation committee chaired by Tortrakul Yomnag will start examining the ground under the airport, which is located in an area known as Cobra Swamp.

The airport has been plagued by operational glitches and structural defects which have been widely blamed on the rush to complete the project. Allegations of corruption have been aired in Bangkok over the lack of transparency in the awarding of contracts. There have also been reports of leaks in the roof, faulty air-conditioning, poor drainage in the parking lots and complaints of a severe shortage of rest rooms.

Deputy Transport Minister Sansern Wongcha-um has warned 12 light-control boxes are inappropriately located, and said although they were built to handle temperatures of up to 40 degrees they were placed outside where the temperature can rise to 45 degrees. They could be damaged by the heat or catch fire, he said. "These problems indicate massive corruption," Saprang said. "Someone needs to take responsibility."

AAP

January 27th, 2007, 12:28
And how many ailrlines have pulled out?? NONE!

sjaak327
January 27th, 2007, 23:14
It's a bloody mess. But of course everyone could see this comming. There were reports of cracks and substandard building materials in the press way before this airport was openeed. Then the reports came in that this great new airport had reached it limit :D Finally the cracks are back.

It wouldn't surprise me, if they are going to move all flights back to Don Muang.

January 28th, 2007, 01:07

Airlines are businesses, and obliged to provide flights for the people who've bought tickets, often many months in advance. Don Muang is currently closed to international flights. Where do you expect them to land their passengers? Sukhumvit Highway?

Or do you expect them to cancel all their flights at short notice, inconvenience all their passengers, and bear all the losses that would cause?

Duh!

Siteef
England

January 28th, 2007, 01:39

Airlines are businesses, and obliged to provide flights for the people who've bought tickets, often many months in advance. Don Muang is currently closed to international flights. Where do you expect them to land their passengers? Sukhumvit Highway?

Airlines are in business to not attempt a landing anywhere that would put their passengers at unecessary risk.

If the situation calls for it they will cancel flights unless Don Muang reopens. Can you imagine the damage to their business and reputation if they had an accident at a knowingly dangerous landing strip?

January 28th, 2007, 12:31

Or do you expect them to cancel all their flights at short notice, inconvenience all their passengers, and bear all the losses that would cause?

Duh!

Siteef
England

And they would risk a 747 crashing ? No way! if its dangerous they will be out of there in a heartbeat. Remember Heathrow and the fog cancellations? Bristol airport in UK is another example - it was shut recently as the airlines wouldnt fly there in wet conditions.

My bet is they might even use other countries like malaysia/singapor/HK & people would have to short hop the rest of the way if Don Mueang isnt opened & ready quick.

January 28th, 2007, 12:31
oops - a double whammy lol

January 28th, 2007, 14:11
I remember the praise afforded Thaksin by the BBC, CNN, various American business publications, etc. as the man who got the airport done. Now look ...

Most people remember Mr Thaksin was the leading advocate and strong force behind a final rush to finish construction and open the airport. Then, Mr Thaksin was taking credit for the airport.

Now, Mr Noppadon says Mr Thaksin didn't do that at all.

The Nation

I hope they get Don Maung prepared very fast.

January 28th, 2007, 14:31
Well, I have been through the airport now on three occasions and each has been a delight. On one occasion my bags took a while but many of the bags from the flight were on the carousel when we arrived there. The taxi service seemed chaotic. I was particularly impressed by the catering facilities which seem excellent and, for an airport, reasonably priced.

I see that they have some problems such as cleaning the glass and getting the finishes perfected but overall I find it a great improvement over the rather depressing Dom Muang. Like Hong Kong and Singapore massive new airports are hugely complex undertakings which inevitably have a number of teething problems - both of those had rat problems! Here as P M Taksin said here the Isaan workers ate them all.

The effects of corruption leading to poor buildings and standards is an endemic danger - and to me the most unattractive facet of life in Asia as it the poor who always suffer most.

Talk about looking at a problem through one end of a telescope. This morning's Bangkok Post has a Front Page article reporting that a toilet pipe burst and some luggage got wet. When the same thing happened in my condo even the Pattaya City News was not interested.

Views from the smart modern food court in Domestic Departures

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/TravelThailandBangkokAirport_2.jpg

Can you spot the backpacker sunbathing?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/TravelThailandBangkokAirport.jpg

January 28th, 2007, 15:25
Well, I have been through the airport now on three occasions and each has been a delight. .

I have used the new airport a number of times and have always questioned the wisdom of the overhead gantry walks that are used to get to your boarding gate ( a bit like something out of a James Bond film).

Over Christmas b/f and I flew to Australia at the peak time for flights, along the gantry walk there were four consecutive gates waiting to open for boarding and at least 700 + people standing/sitting on the walkway. Apart from the almost impossible task of shouldering people out of our way to reach our gate, had there been an emergency such as a fire the escape route back along the gantry would have been a mass of crushed dead bodies.

It is a pity that when they dusted the original 30 year old plans off for the airport they did not take into account the massive increase in footfall since the original design.

Hmmm
January 28th, 2007, 15:49
Suvarnabhumi is a contemporary design by German architect Helmut Jahn of Chicago-based Murphy Jahn. It has won architectural awards, although I think they were before the problems came to light ...
http://www.aiachicago.org/special_featu ... ?subID=269 (http://www.aiachicago.org/special_features/2006DEA/awards.asp?subID=269)

Construction involved, as one would expect in a project of this size, many companies, most of which sound like non-Thai concerns ....

# General contractor ITO Joint Venture
# Consultants TAMS Consultants / Earth Tech (Special Systems); John A. Martin & Associates, Inc. (Design Engineers Structural Concrete); Martin/Martin Inc. (Steel Superstructure); Werner Sobek Ingenieure GmbH (Steel Work / Fa├зade); Flack + Kurtz Consulting Engineers (MEP); Transsolar Energietechnik GmbH (Climate and Environmental Consultant); AIK Expeditions Lumiere (Lighting Designer); BNP Associates, Inc. (Baggage Consultant)

.. which is fortunate for the Thais, who can now blame the foreigners !

January 28th, 2007, 23:03
had there been an emergency such as a fire the escape route back along the gantry would have been a mass of crushed dead bodies... until there's a fire at DJ Station

Suvarnabhumi is a contemporary design by German architect Helmut Jahn of Chicago-based Murphy Jahn. It has won architectural awardsThat will prove a huge relief to those concerned for airport safety. The awards were given on the basis of things other than usability, I assume - they usually are

I have been through the airport now on three occasions and each has been a delightExperiences will differ. I've been through more times than that - 75% of mine we used a bus to travel to or from the terminal to the aircraft (and I wasn't using airlines like Air Asia where it's customary to bus), and on two we were so far from the immigration gates that I'd done my day's exercise by the time I arrived at where I was going within the airport. I use a lot of airports - Heathrow (T2)'s a dump, the UA terminal arriving at LAX is depressing, I like KLIA, Hong Kong, the Star Alliance terminal at Narita, Pittsburgh. Sydney, Melbourne, San Antonio and San Francisco are passable, Chicago's the pits. Suvarnabhumi's something else