PDA

View Full Version : Crime in Thailand

December 26th, 2005, 19:11
My observation is crime ,eg,muggings,etc is not as bad in Thailand as in the west,but it still happens.I have had a few arguments with Thais,mostly they caused it.However its been mostly with ladyboys or ex thai friends when we have been together and we are all drunk,not with complete strangers.I only once remembered being attempted to be robbed and i wasnt drunk that night either and that was a post i made last August when i was walking in the laneway about 3am opposite white knight buffet ,the small laneway just opp topman leading to day/night,when i noticed about 5 young thais ,three on motorbikes all appeared drunk or drugged ,one grabbed me around the neck from the front,stupid thing to do as i grabbed his wrist and behind his elbow and twisted him to the ground ,then another dickhead approached shouting for money with his hand out so i palm heeled him in the nose before the other 3 got involved.The guys on the motorbike took off leaving their mates there.
I must admit i wasnt showing caution and thought he was joking until i realised he was choking me.At that time there was nobody else around,the streets were quiet.The next night i saw the same guy just outside white buffet restaurant grabbing another farang who gave him money.I saw the same 5 guys speeding up and down the soi on their motorbikes,so i went to my ex Boyfriends bar and told him.
Other than that ,i had never had any probs ,other than having 2 Akha boys in Chiang Mai wanting to take me and my ex Bf to their village which my Ex says was dangerous as Akha are not considered Thai and we would be alone in the mountains.

December 26th, 2005, 19:24
deleted

December 29th, 2005, 18:33
I urge everyone to look at the following site:

http://www.nationmaster.com/

This will give you the stats for everything under the sun. Thailand has loads of crimes, but not as many as the UK or the USA PER CAPITA!!! However all stats are dodgy, right? If the criminal system does not have an efficient reporting system then there is a severe skew in the stats. Even so it is very interesting. One thing to take into consideration is that about 10 times the number of USA losses in both the Iraq wars are killed by Americans in America on an annual basis... mostly with guns!

For the foreigner in Thailand it is a safe place. But guess where the safest place to be is... not on earth... but in the air! Less people are killed flying than the same numbers on the ground whichever way you look at it.

December 31st, 2005, 21:42
[quote="baziel"]In 2004 Bangkok had the record off murders from all city's all over the wold. Hope they loose this record in 2005 .

where did u read about that ? I know LOS and BKK is crime-ridden, but I never heard that BKK is the No. 1 - murder place in the world...