View Full Version : Is there a plan for dealing with SPAM on the Board?

Smiles
January 14th, 2007, 04:43
Many threads are infested now. I would not doubt that many of these links could easily be virus loaded, and I would also think some members here will be tempted to click on them. I hope not, but ....

Is anything in the works to attempt freeing the Board from this crap? And no, I don't mean posts by __________________________ (fill in your own favourite member-on-ignore ***) :geek:

Cheers ...

*** Miss Sybil Thrope jumps immediately to mind.

elephantspike
January 14th, 2007, 05:00
I'm deleting about 15 spam-bot memberts daily, along with 3 or so posts they manage to make. In the meantime, don't click on any links made by spam-bots. They are always glaringly obvious.

bucknaway
January 14th, 2007, 05:20
How easy is it to gain membership to this board?

elephantspike
January 14th, 2007, 05:38
Well, you just have to click-through a link that automatically gets emailed to you when you click on "register" and agree to the terms of use, so, basically, any automated program can do it, but I prefer not to have to make people wait to be approved manually.

jinks
January 14th, 2007, 05:54
I'm deleting about 15 spam-bot members daily, along with 3 or also posts they manage to make. In the meantime, don't click on any links made by spam-bots. They are always glaringly obvious.

And I get the others, 5 to 6 daily.

bucknaway
January 14th, 2007, 06:08
Is it possible to have the automated e-mail contain more than one link so that the first 1 or 2 links could send them to CNN or MSNBC and the activation link would be the 3rd link or something like that?

Well, you just have to click-through a link that automatically gets emailed to you when you click on "register" and agree to the terms of use, so, basically, any automated program can do it, but I prefer not to have to make people wait to be approved manually.

elephantspike
January 14th, 2007, 06:32
That's a great idea, Buck. I'm sure it's possible, but I'm not sure how to do the php programming for that.

bucknaway
January 14th, 2007, 06:38
I don't doubt your abilities to do anything as it relates to the programming of the board. Between you and Jinks, you two are like Cyber Gods! :notworthy:

That's a great idea, Buck. I'm sure it's possible, but I'm not sure how to do the php programming for that.