PDA

View Full Version : Bomb at Big C in Khon Kaen and School in Nong Khai

January 13th, 2007, 16:09
Three days ago a bomb went up at the Big C Superstore in Khon Kaen.

Does somebody know more about this? Due to the tight media control the press where not allowed to mention anything yet.

Family and friends are very frightened that Udon Thani might be the next place bombers might target.

This is a related information:

January 13, 2007 : Last updated 12:18 pm (Thai local time)

Khon Kaen indefinitely postpones OTOP fair

Khon Kaen - The administration of this northeastern province Thursday indefinitely postponed the One Tambon One Product Fair for fear of untoward incidents.

Suttha Saiwanit, a development official of the province, said the Khon Kaen had ordered the postponement of the fair, which was initially scheduled to be held for a week at the provincial hall from Thursday.

He said all booths had been removed following the order.

The Nation

Aditionally I got just this moment another information:
Iin Nong Khai saying that a bomb had been found in the children's school. Police went around informing parent not to send kids to school.

At the Lotus Tesco Store Udon Thani yesterday, a large police contingent arrived and did a thorough walk through.

bigben
January 13th, 2007, 22:30
If and that is a BIG IF, these new bomb reports are true, and the current Government is

suppressing these news reports, then we are back on our way to square one it seems.

WasnтАЩt Mr. Toxin also known for his intimidating tactics with the press?

January 14th, 2007, 00:14
If and that is a BIG IF, these new bomb reports are true, and the current Government is

suppressing these news reports, then we are back on our way to square one it seems.

Wasn’t Mr. Toxin also known for his intimidating tactics with the press?

I can confirm that news. Police in Nong Khai was calling at doors in order to keep students amd teachers away from school.

Secound search for bombs are on the way at Lotus Superstore in Udon Thani.

In Khon Kaen they found also something at the Fairy Plaza friend’s just talled me.

Some people try to destabilise the whole country. The North and Norheast part is still a stronghold of Taksin. Especially farmers are still backing his politics. And Taksin is still big in business - in Thailand with labs and testing meterial and some pharmaceuticals, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar with mobile communications.

The media is not allowed to print or air anything like it. But many events are to be cancelled due to security reasons.

It's a pitty. Thailand doesn’t deserve this.

January 14th, 2007, 00:26
I just recived the follwing message from friends:

In Konkean where 3 people killed, my brother reported also 3 bombs in Chiang Mai and I also I heard they found the bomb in Nong Sang too but the rescue team safed them, not sure Tom not sure what going on...

This is not kidding, I knew the people where I got my information from for long long. They all are honorable citizens.

This all is so sad.

Brad the Impala
January 14th, 2007, 19:04
While I understand that there may be some muzzling of local press in instances like these, there is a huge international press corps in Bangkok, with associated stringers and contacts countrywide.

Have any of these organisations reported on ttom's bombs?

January 14th, 2007, 19:56
While I understand that there may be some muzzling of local press in instances like these, there is a huge international press corps in Bangkok, with associated stringers and contacts countrywide.

Have any of these organisations reported on ttom's bombs?

To receive the necessary work permit the accreditation with the Department of Public Information is compulsory. The Department of Public Information reserves the right to deny or withdraw accreditation of journalists from media organizations whose activities run into conflicts with official media guide lines without any further explanations.

Most journalists are based in Bangkok. They relay on information received from own networks or official media sources like agencies, local press or TV broadcasts.

Some of the incidents I wrote about went also briefly through the local TV stations; this is confirmed by Thai friends of mine who informed me accordingly.

Please be aware that recently many local TV and radio stations had been closed, unless they agreed in writing to follow strictly all the rules regarding the regulations of media.

This is nothing knew, the handling of media was always very restrictive.

Even a foreign journalist need to think twice if he reports directly not using the official and only permitted channel which leads to the Department of Public Information, otherwise his work permit is on risk and visa cancelled.

You could also join the Foreign Press Association of Thailand. There club at Sukhumvit is pretty entertaining.

By the way, my official International Press card is NEITHER made in Thailand NOR bought from Khaosarn Road.

I frequently receive messages like this from trustworthy friends:

January 14, 2007, 4:26 pm
Well amongst all the rumours a fact for you. The heightened security I referred to at Childrens day was caused by the discovery at Nong Sang, only 4 kilometres from Phui Lom a cache of explosive devices numbering 22 in all., 19 complete , ready to use bombs and 3 incomplete devices. Local villagers scavenging the area had noticed unusual activity and reported it to the police. The devices were found hidden in a cave, 3 mtrs underground. An Army spokesman reportedly said they were large enough to have blown parts of a car, if used that way, onto the roof of a three story building.
Photo shows army bomb disposal engineers examining the objects.

http://upload5.postimage.org/222163/NongSeangBombsdefused.jpg (http://upload5.postimage.org/222163/photo_hosting.html)

Bob
January 14th, 2007, 20:46
I have seen several blurbs on the net in the last few days about various bomb incidents all over - but, as you know, nothing is being said in the Bangkok Post, the Nation, or other major news outlets. I did my usual Sunday morning chat on MSN with my bf in Chiangmai and he confirmed that there were several (3+) bomb incidents in Chiangmai and that he's aware that the press is reporting nothing for fear of hurting the tourist business (he acknowledged that the number of foreigners seems to be down and everybody is worried about further problems causing further problems to the tourist industry). I actually believe that the news isn't being reported because the current government doesn't want to look like it has no clue what it's doing.

On the other hand, the current mickey-mouse government and junta of Thailand has pulled so many bone-headed moves in the last couple of months so there is nothing surprising about their naivete in thinking that word about the bombings won't get out.
It will get out - along with the added bad press that Thai authorities are actively surpressing the news. How stupid (but, in my view, rather expected in recent times).

January 14th, 2007, 23:11
I frequently receive messages like this from trustworthy friends:

January 14, 2007, 4:26 pm
Well amongst all the rumours a fact for you. The heightened security I referred to at Childrens day was caused by the discovery at Nong Sang, only 4 kilometres from Phui Lom a cache of explosive devices numbering 22 in all., 19 complete , ready to use bombs and 3 incomplete devices. Local villagers scavenging the area had noticed unusual activity and reported it to the police. The devices were found hidden in a cave, 3 mtrs underground. An Army spokesman reportedly said they were large enough to have blown parts of a car, if used that way, onto the roof of a three story building.

Thanks, ttom, for posting this information. As Bob says above, it looks like there is a deliberate effort to suppress knowledge of these incidents, in part to limit damage to the tourist industry. I am scheduled to fly to Thailand this week for my vacation and to be honest I'm having second thoughts. It's not the threat of terrorism that scares me as much as the suppression / coverup of information that makes it difficult for people to make an informed decision. If I can just make it in safely and ensconce myself at Babylon, hopefully everything will be OK. :love8:

January 15th, 2007, 15:42
Well, bomb attacts on innocent people happened everywhere in the world. You are nowhere safe. The sickening idea behind all this is simple: destabilising, destroying confidence.

You can never be sure that something will get blasted away; for this neither USA nor Europe is safe.

I am not frightened at all with.

I even love and still do my regular travelling to Pattanai, Yala or Sonkhla. But I am more patient with the increase of security checkpoints and some more formalities, like proper registering with hotels or guesthouses.