PDA

View Full Version : Tooth Fairy? Dental work in Bangkok saves $23,880

January 13th, 2007, 10:36
In Thailand, U.S.-style care without the expense - By Karen Garloch
McClatchy Newspapers (MCT)
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - When Paul Reeve needed major dental work, he shopped around.

The best deal came from a University of North Carolina Chapel Hill-trained dentist who would do the work for $10,000, instead of $37,000 quoted by others he questioned in the Charlotte, N.C., area. The hitch? The dentist works in Bangkok, Thailand.

Reeve, 59, a retired entrepreneur who lives on North Carolina's Lake Norman, had visited Bangkok before and likes to travel. But he liked the savings even better.
Calling around, he learned that U.S. prosthodontists - who specialize in restoring natural teeth - charge about $1,700 each for crowns. Thai prosthodontists charge about $375 each.

Reeve needed 22 crowns, and it wasn't covered by insurance. In Thailand, he could get the whole package - including airfare, hotel and meals - for one-third the cost of the dental work alone in this country. "I didn't have to be a math genius to figure out that a dental makeover was going to cost me about as much as buying a small German sports car," Reeve wrote on a Weblog about his trip.

But cost alone wouldn't have convinced him to make the trip if he hadn't had confidence in the Thai dentist. Reeve's sister, a dental hygienist in Atlanta, helped narrow his search to three prosthodontists, including Dr. Chatchai Kunavisarut. The 2000 graduate of UNC dental school got raves from former professors, and that sealed the deal. On Aug. 14, Reeve left Charlotte for Bangkok. It took 22 hours, including a four-hour layover in New York. It took two more hours in heavy traffic to get from Bangkok airport to the four-star Emerald Hotel.

The next day, Reeve met Kunavisarut at the seven-story Bangkok International Dental Clinic, a three-minute walk from his hotel. The operating room was clean and white, and the dentist "spoke perfect English and was professionally friendly and prepared," Reeve wrote. Reeve spent about three hours in the dentist's chair that day as Kunavisarut removed old crowns and prepared his teeth for new ones. Reeve made the first payment - 100,000 baht or $3,775 - and returned to the hotel with pain pills.

Over the next 16 days, Reeve spent about 50 hours in the chair as the dentist prepared his teeth, tried out temporary crowns, installed permanent crowns temporarily, and then installed them permanently. Kunavisarut also filled, evened off and whitened six of Reeve's lower teeth, which didn't get crowns. Dentists and other clinic employees worked full days, even on weekends. "The Thai people are like Energizer bunnies," Reeve wrote.

Between dentist appointments, Reeve found time for cooking school and exploring. He saw Buddhist temples, rice fields and water buffalo and ate fried grasshoppers.

On Aug, 19, when he got his temps, Reeve thought the worst was over. Then came Aug. 20. "I knew something was up when Kunavisarut injected me several times deep into my jaw and my whole head went numb. Off came the temps and Kunavisarut started drilling away."

On Aug. 29, Dr. Kunavisarut installed crowns with a temporary bond so Reeve could wear them for a while and make sure they fit. Back at the hotel, Reeve looked at his new teeth and didn't like the color. He called Kunavisarut and returned to the clinic that night. The dentist removed the crowns and returned them to the lab, in the same building. Two days later, he reinstalled the 22 crowns permanently. "My jaws felt like they had been put in a vise, and my gums hurt like hell," Reeve wrote. "But the results were worth it."

Back in Mooresville, his jaw muscles got worse. Reeve couldn't get his mouth open wide enough to eat a sandwich. A doctor friend injected a muscle relaxer that resolved the problem. But it raised the question of what to do about post-procedure complications. "Dr. Chatchai said, `I stand by my work,' but the problem is, I can't just go to Thailand and have him take care of me," Reeve said.

In retrospect, Reeve said he should have stayed longer than 16 days - the Thai dentist suggested a month - to reduce the strain on his jaw. Despite that, Reeve liked the experience so much he's looking into starting or investing in a medical tourism company.
---

PAUL REEVE'S COSTS IN THAILAND

Air travel: $1,650.
Lodging: $986.
Food: $850.
Dental work (including 22 crowns, root canal, teeth whitening, mouth guards, six fillings and pain medicines): $10,034.
Grand total: $13,520.

U.S. COMPARISON

Estimate for 22 crowns (not including other dental work, exams or medicine): $37,400.

http://www.belleville.com/mld/bellevill ... 446380.htm (http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/living/16446380.htm) via Google News

Lunchtime O'Booze
January 13th, 2007, 11:16
I've had several crowns done at the dental clinic attached to the Dusit Resort and saved a packet on western prices.

What I like even better-and I have no complaint about any western dentists-is the care given by the dentist and the assistants there. The young dentist who also works at Bumrungrad a few days of the week, is the most gentle needle sticker I've ever encountered. Not many dentists massage your jaws after either !!

However I don't believe implants are much cheaper in Thailand..has anyone else found this ?

I also read that the poorer East European countries are getting in on this act now and offering cheap dental and cosmetic surgery packages.

January 13th, 2007, 14:27
"The Thai people are like Energizer bunnies," Reeve wrote.
Hmmm. Perhaps he enjoyed the nightlife, too?

January 13th, 2007, 16:44
You can have good dental care it all over Thailand. The best choices are probably in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai or Phulet. The material is usually imported from Europe. They all are used to any kind of foreign patients. Any dentist can speak English, some German or other foreign languages.

My dentist in Udon Thani talled me that he is using composite materials since 2000 as standard instead of the classic amalgam fillings which are a lot cheaper and easier to do - and still common in many countries! But amalgam contains a lot of quick silver which can harm the body.

Before any treatment starts you might get a fair quotation. There are always several options how to do dental works.

Recommend for tourists is a contact the chosen dentist as soon as you are arrive in Thailand. Just walk in and have a look first. The dentist needs to know your time scale. Have some days left to try after the treatment has finished just to get used to it and have maybe a final check.

Since many years I only use dentists from Thailand. I check up twice annually (including removal of tooth stone etc. it costs 500 TBT only) and if there is some treatment needed, I never paid more than 2000 TBT for the complete job.

In Pattaya German Dental (between Pattaya and Jomtien, before Soi down to Siam Thani at the left) is probably one of the best if you need some high class artificials.

Have a word with one of the long staying foreign business owners, like
in Pattaya the Davids (at La Cage or Come In a Sunee Plaza or Jim from Ambiance or Tim or Richard from Panorama or Amor) or in Phuket Ulf or B├╢rje from Connect or in Chiang Mai talk to Arthur from House of Male. I found all of them to be straight forward, and honest.

In Bangkok I found the Verizon Dental Clinic at Silom Soi 6 also to be very good. The dentist works also in one of the large hospitals. I used this clinic after recommendations quite a few time while living and working not to fare away from there.

January 13th, 2007, 18:17
In Pattaya German Dental (between Pattaya and Jomtien, before Soi down to Siam Thani at the left) is probably one of the best if you need some high class artificials.

Although I have not had any major high-tech reconstructive work done, I have had, over the last 15 years, lost fillings replaced and a couple of crowns fitted at the dentists immediately across Second Road from the Royal Garden Plaza (name escapes me!). They are extremely efficient and their prices are low. My UK dentists has twice commented on the quality of the work (done whilst in Pattaya) and said it was of a very high standard - so much so that I now deliberately try to wait until my next visit to Thailand if I want routine work doing. The cost savings are well worth it - a crown which my UK dentist recommended and would have cost me approximately ┬г80 was done for me in Pattaya for approximately ┬г26 (and that included a complete hygiene routine, de-scale and polish).

Lunchtime O'Booze
January 13th, 2007, 20:26
check the prices at Bumrungrad who have a website and usually have specials posted there. But implants aren't much cheaper. I'm sure you can have a tooth made of anything you want-gold or even like Mick Jagger have an emerald implanted except people kept telling him he had a piece of spinach caught in his tooth.

Knowing your luck wx40afp you wil probably get mugged for your gold tooth.

January 13th, 2007, 21:32
I want a real tooth glued in the missing place,does anyone know what this is called?
Is his what you call a crown? i want a gold tooth,do they still make these?

A complete replacement tooth (normally screwed into the gum where a tooth is missing or extracted to provide a space) is called an implant. I don't know if gold implants are available.

A crown is a (usually porcelain) cap which is fashioned to fit over a badly chipped or worn tooth which cannot be realistically or cosmetically repaired by filling. Gold crowns are available but they are extremely expensive!

January 13th, 2007, 21:49
I realise this is barely on topic but it may be a cautionary tale. You need to hope that wherever you have your dental work done you don't meet this guy! Although not mentioned in the piece I would imagine that she has a good case for a law suit! If it had been me I would be banging on my solicitor's door!

Dentist removed teeth of grumbling patient
Woman, 87, was denied anaesthetic

A dentist who pulled out an elderly womanтАЩs teeth without anaesthetic тАЬto teach her a lessonтАЭ has been struck off. David Quelch left the retired nurse, who was 87, with blood pouring from her mouth from two extractions after she had complained to her doctor about the quality of previous treatment by the dentist.

After a three-day hearing the General Dental Council found Mr Quelch, 54, guilty of serious professional misconduct and ordered his name to be removed from the register.

The woman, referred to as Patient A, gave her evidence via a video link. She said: тАЬMr Quelch told me to sit in the chair and raised my feet above my head. I told him I had pain and he told me he was going to extract my teeth. I objected. I didnтАЩt think it was necessary. He ignored my remarks and pulled out the tooth. I was bleeding profusely.

тАЬHe lowered my head and pushed my chest and proceeded to extract the other tooth against my will. I was very upset and alarmed.тАЭ

She said that she asked to spit blood into a bowl at the side of the dental chair but Mr Quelch had refused and said: тАЬNo, donтАЩt spit in the bowl, you might have Aids.тАЭ

She added: тАЬI said I didnтАЩt want my tooth removed тАФ he pushed me back, pushing me hard across my chest and extracted the second tooth. All I wanted was a filling.тАЭ

A nurse was pushing down on her head throughout the procedure, she said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 04,00.html (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2545004,00.html)

January 13th, 2007, 22:11
... did he get laid while he was in Bangkok and how much did this add to his costs?

January 14th, 2007, 07:33
homintern - Are you suggesting that money boys are cheaper in North Carolina. Sex in Bangkok would have increased his savings! North Carolina $100 for 1 hour Bangkok $40 max.

January 14th, 2007, 07:52
homintern - Are you suggesting that money boys are cheaper in North Carolina. Sex in Bangkok would have increased his savings! North Carolina $100 for 1 hour Bangkok $40 max.Is he gay? I must have missed that in skimming the original story

January 14th, 2007, 07:54
22 CROWNS!!!!!!
Holy chit no wonder the guy's jaw hurt!

Does this guy know about toothbrushes and dental floss? :toothy5:

(Actually I need a bridge for a lost tooth and Im seriously thinking about getting an implant next time Im in the Land of Smiles)

dab69
January 14th, 2007, 23:58
curious about laminates prices (12),
probably want to go to the dentist
west of Big C but don't have his
contact