PDA

View Full Version : Come Fly With Me

Lunchtime O'Booze
January 11th, 2007, 07:04
CHIANG MAI :Briton, 35, jumps to his death
A British tourist committed suicide yesterday morning by jumping from his room on the sixth floor of a condominium in this northern city and falling to his death on the roof of an adjacent building, police said.

The naked victim, identified as Mark Anthony, age 35, leaped from his apartment room, breaking his neck and wrists in the fall.
Police said he had lived in the central Chiang Mai condominium for more than six months.

They also said he had undergone a medical check-up at a provincial hospital two days earlier and had been stressed after returning to his room, apparently after learning that he was suffering from a chronic disease
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/01 ... 023468.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/01/07/national/national_30023468.php)
I always find these stories extemely sad. I must admit to various times in my life contemplating topping myself..others have even offered to assist..one tried once..but jumping. I can't imagine anything worse. A bottle of whiskey and handful of pills readily available in Thailand must be so much more pleasant ! :geek:

January 11th, 2007, 07:14
Mark Anthony? Wasn't there a story about the death of a cove called Julius Caesar in the previous day's paper :compress:

January 11th, 2007, 09:00
more jumpers that woolworths!

January 11th, 2007, 14:17
The thought of having to return to the UK only to wait for months and months in order to be seen and cured by the NHS could be more painful than jumping.

January 11th, 2007, 15:01
Told by his doctor he was dying; he committed suicide.

There's a sort of irony there: sick irony.

If I were told I was dying, I'd sell everything & spend all my money (On fun.) first. As I recall; before he contracted HIV, Liberace, after being told he was dying of some other ailment, did that very thing--And, after nearly everything was spent, found he'd been misdiagnosed. At least, he was still around to earn it all back.
But, what the hell, Granny always told me I'm too pretty to live--And too mean to die--and the pity the poor devil if I do.

January 11th, 2007, 15:50
The thought of having to return to the UK only to wait for months and months in order to be seen and cured by the NHS could be more painful than jumping.

Depends on the illness and of course how long it has been allowed to progress. I was diagnosed with possible stomach cancer at Pattaya Memorial after collapsing with a bleeding gastric ulcer whilst on holiday in Thailand. On return to the UK I was seen by my GP, referred to a consultant, had two investigative procedures and ultimately a total gastrectomy - all of which were completed within 10 weeks and all done on the NHS. That was two and a half years ago. Whilst the NHS has its many critics (quite rightly in some respects), I cannot fault the treatment I received.