PDA

View Full Version : Udon Thani International Airport

Sen Yai
January 9th, 2007, 13:29
Singapore's low-cost airline Tiger Airways (http://www.tigerairways.com/home/) starts flights direct from Singapore to Udon Thani today:

On arrival in Udon Thani, Tony Davis, chief executive officer of the Singapore Airlines-backed-Tiger, said the latest destination provides "new tourism and trade opportunities."

"It is a great honour to be the first international carrier to serve Udon Thani and the people in North-East Thailand as well as provide greater access to Vientiane and Laos," he said
Full story in the Bangkok Post (http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=115866)

I also found this comprehensive diagram on the official UdonThani.com (http://www.udonmap.com/getting_to_udon.html) website explaining the complex arrangements for the plethora of services and facilities facing arriving passengers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/udonairportarrival.jpg

TrongpaiExpat
January 9th, 2007, 13:57
I recently flew in and out of Udon Thani airport, it's quite nice. There has been a recent remodeling of the terminal, nice comfortable seats.

It's a quiet airport, not many people or traffic. Easy to get in and out.

I had arranged a Budget rental car and they met me at the exit with the car parked at the curb. Fast and efficent.

Michael
January 9th, 2007, 17:45
There has been a recent remodeling of the terminal.... .

I thought there'd been a few small changes at the terminal, until I walked up to the outdoor restaurants and found myself walking past the old terminal building now empty!

January 9th, 2007, 23:33
I recently flew in and out of Udon Thani airport, it's quite nice. There has been a recent remodeling of the terminal, nice comfortable seats.

I had arranged a Budget rental car and they met me at the exit with the car parked at the curb. Fast and efficent.

Sure, Udon Thani Airport is very good indeed. And gay.... At upper floor the very friendly and good looking ladyboy the the coffee shop (right side to) is always good for a nice chat or so... :-)) The snacks are OK, nice range of drinks including freshly made tea's and coffee (Bon Caf├и filter coffee). And all of it is surprisingly moderately prized.

January 9th, 2007, 23:34

Sure, Udon Thani Airport is very good indeed. And gay.... At upper floor the very friendly and good looking ladyboy the the coffee shop (right side to) is always good for a nice chat or so... :-)) The snacks are OK, nice range of drinks including freshly made tea's and coffee (Bon Caf├и filter coffee). And all of it is surprisingly moderately prized.

TrongpaiExpat
January 10th, 2007, 00:40
Ttom: Funny you mension the lady boy at the coffee shop. The BF and I went in there and had some coffee and a snack. I would not call her good looking though.

There was this very good looking Nok ticket agent that sent my gaydar pinging.

Lots of middle aged farangs pushing baby buggies at this airport with Thai family in tow. One old coger was holding what I though was a baby but it turned out to be a monkey.

Strange folks these Udon Farangs!

January 10th, 2007, 01:47
Will be in udon Thani mid february for first time.

Any sightseeing recommendations? Bars etc?

January 10th, 2007, 03:05
Ttom: Funny you mension the lady boy at the coffee shop. The BF and I went in there and had some coffee and a snack. I would not call her good looking though.

There was this very good looking Nok ticket agent that sent my gaydar pinging.

Lots of middle aged farangs pushing baby buggies at this airport with Thai family in tow. One old coger was holding what I though was a baby but it turned out to be a monkey.

Strange folks these Udon Farangs!

Last time I’ve bumped into him he was quite smart looking. Yes, he is not s stunning beauty but I have seen worse … 

Sure, Chaoi Noi from Nok is a stunning cuty. We’ve meet him before at Bar Berry (not opp. Robinsons) and I catched a strange view from my supervisor.

As before at Dong Muang and now at Suvarnabhumi, and still at CM or Phuket airports, there is a lot going in in Udon Thani too. There always a few around of easy hanky panky; airport staff, taxi drivers or off duty soldiers, policemen of other security staff. Plenty of smiles but In a discret manner might help a lot – and you nee dto be quick.

Foreign husbands are very popular in Isaan. There are giving the true boost to the local economy, probably more than any NGO other government will do. Due to the high costs of flying (bus still costs less then 1/3) mostly officials, business peoply or foreigners with family are using the airport.

My supervisor likes it too; it’s a status thing to do. I still prefer the train or bus if I need to travel fast.