PDA

View Full Version : Advice - Hua Hin to Phuket

January 6th, 2007, 12:28
Hi

We will soon be spending a week in Bangkok on business followed by a week in Patong and having never been there before, would like to spend a day or two in Hua Hin in between .

In view of a huge amount of flying we are doing on this trip, we are considering hiring a car to drive south from Hua Hin to Phuket. If there are any interesting places en route we would not mind stopping there overnight. Is there much to see?

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

At the very end of our trip after arriiving back from China we have one night, one full day and most of the following evening before our flight home. Have not been to Pattaya for two years so considering spending that brief time there rather than Bangkok. Would like a hotel (or guest house) up to B2000 or 3000 a night within staggering distance of at least some bars, perhaps Boyztown. Le Cafe Royale, Flamingo, Penthouse??? Again, suggestions or comments appreciated.

Thanks

January 6th, 2007, 17:10
You will love Hua Hin; it is a sparkling, well keeped and easy going town.

From Hua Hin to Phuket expect a long drive of around 700 kms. If I travel this route I usually allow myelf some time due to the various scenic spots along the route.

I usually stop at Wat Thammikaran near Khao Chong Khrayok and enjoy the marvellous views over the province and town. I love a break at Ao Noi which is a dreamingly peaceful fishing village in nearly unspoiled natural settings and long clean white beaches.

From Ao Noi I usually go to Chumphoon and stop there. If weather is good I take a boat trip to Kho Toa which is a beautiful island and perfect for diving, snorkelling or just having a peaceful day at the beaches.

From Chumphoon I use the winding road leading to sleepy Rannong. After three hours (with breaks enjoying the sweeping views) I usually arrive at Rannong. I like both the hills and seas side of Rannong. There are so many hot springs and it is worth spending some time and enjoying a refreshingly bath in natural hot water.

From Chumphoon I alternatively travel down to Surat Thani and spend one or two dayтАЩs o Kho Samui. I am not particularly found of this island but my supervisor likes it. It is not bad enough for me that am going into arguments. The drive from Surat Thani also windy and long whit several nice spots on the way worth to stop for a break.

From Rannong the coastal road along the Andaman Sea is leading to Khao Lak which is in my humble opinion a disaster zone: for rather boring mass tourism a very important natural reserve whith large mangroves areas have been wrecked. Khao Lak itself is rather flat, has some beaches and provides some water sports including diving.

From there you might arrive soon at the bridge connecting Phuket with the main land. From Rannong it takes about 4 hours easy driving time due to the traffic.

All roads are in fairly good conditions, well signed and easy to follow. Accommodation is everywhere available. I never book in advance which is driving my supervisor crazy but we never ever had any bad accommodation. At some places, like Koh Tao, we stay with friends.

For Pattaya the Ambiance Hotel at Boyz Town would be choosen by me. But my supervisor and I would prefer a stay The Rabbit resort, Avalon Resort or furthermore Tui's Place; all are more or less next to each other set about 5 kms away from Pattaya at the Dongtan beach - which is the gay beach of Pattaya. There are easy going, comfortable, provide excellent service in an perfect setting. I would not stay at the Room Club.

I would not go the other way round from Phuket to Pattaya due to the very different scenic route if you haven't been there before.

From Phuket you can fly to Bangkok or U-Tapao near Pattaya; travelling time from both is due to road conditions and distances more or less the same.

January 6th, 2007, 17:11
You will love Hua Hin; it is a sparkling, well keeped and easy going town.

From Hua Hin to Phuket expect a long drive of around 700 kms. If I travel this route I usually allow myelf some time due to the various scenic spots along the route.

I usually stop at Wat Thammikaran near Khao Chong Khrayok and enjoy the marvellous views over the province and town. I love a break at Ao Noi which is a dreamingly peaceful fishing village in nearly unspoiled natural settings and long clean white beaches.

From Ao Noi I usually go to Chumphoon and stop there. If weather is good I take a boat trip to Kho Toa which is a beautiful island and perfect for diving, snorkelling or just having a peaceful day at the beaches.

From Chumphoon I use the winding road leading to sleepy Rannong. After three hours (with breaks enjoying the sweeping views) I usually arrive at Rannong. I like both the hills and seas side of Rannong. There are so many hot springs and it is worth spending some time and enjoying a refreshingly bath in natural hot water.

From Chumphoon I alternatively travel down to Surat Thani and spend one or two dayтАЩs o Kho Samui. I am not particularly found of this island but my supervisor likes it. It is not bad enough for me that am going into arguments. The drive from Surat Thani also windy and long whit several nice spots on the way worth to stop for a break.

From Rannong the coastal road along the Andaman Sea is leading to Khao Lak which is in my humble opinion a disaster zone: for rather boring mass tourism a very important natural reserve whith large mangroves areas have been wrecked. Khao Lak itself is rather flat, has some beaches and provides some water sports including diving.

From there you might arrive soon at the bridge connecting Phuket with the main land. From Rannong it takes about 4 hours easy driving time due to the traffic.

All roads are in fairly good conditions, well signed and easy to follow. Accommodation is everywhere available. I never book in advance which is driving my supervisor crazy but we never ever had any bad accommodation. At some places, like Koh Tao, we stay with friends.

For Pattaya the Ambiance Hotel at Boyz Town would be choosen by me. But my supervisor and I would prefer a stay The Rabbit resort, Avalon Resort or furthermore Tui's Place; all are more or less next to each other set about 5 kms away from Pattaya at the Dongtan beach - which is the gay beach of Pattaya. There are easy going, comfortable, provide excellent service in an perfect setting. I would not stay at the Room Club.

I would not go the other way round from Phuket to Pattaya due to the very different scenic route if you haven't been there before.

From Phuket you can fly to Bangkok or U-Tapao near Pattaya; travelling time from both is due to road conditions and distances more or less the same.