PDA

View Full Version : Tarntawan Hotel

sydneyboy
December 26th, 2005, 16:09
Has anyone stayed at the Tarntawan since the renovations? Has the bathrooms been renovated as well? Is there a major improvement? Your comments would be appreciated.

gearguy
December 27th, 2005, 01:19
Stayed thre in Nov. seemed to me to be same-same.

Very poor hot water in my room; I was only staying two nights, otherwise would have left.

I'l probably stay there again, as it's the most convenient, but I sure wish they'd put some $$ into
improvements.

TrongpaiExpat
December 27th, 2005, 10:21
I was there too in November and had booked a week with a double bed. When I checked in I was told, sorry no have big bed, only two small but on the new 8th floor, all new. I was told tomorrow we have big bed for you.

The room has new carpet and bed(s). There is a nice bedside AC control.

Next morning I got the same-same response, we very busy, no have big bed, see me tomorrow.

Next morning same-same. I checked out and moved over the the Pinnacle for half the price. Where I happen to be back to this week, if anyone needs any thing?

From what I could see, at least on one side of the 8th floor all the rooms have twin beds. Seems a very strange idea in a Gay hotel?

sydneyboy
December 27th, 2005, 14:23
I have never had the problem of "double beds" at the Tarntawan but other requests have been ignored or "deferred" eg front facing room, non smoking floor etc.

I am still interested in other peoples experience because for all its faults i have found it good value and the staff very pleasant but the decor and the bathrooms were in urgent need of refurbishment.

December 27th, 2005, 14:28
thats your problem,dont start blaming us on here cause of the hotel,its not our fault.

December 27th, 2005, 14:52
I visited a friends room on the 7th floor a few weeks back and it had been recently re-done and looked splendid. It was the rather safe but effective beige cream any white but had a nice air of comfort and high quality. The bathroom was very well light and sparkling clean and shiny. There were all the usual trimmigs big flat tv inroom safe slippeers and robes and takeable toiletries. He was very happy with the place and had no problems. I wonder if it was a 'superior room' at a supplement?

http://www.tarntawan.com/

sydneyboy
December 27th, 2005, 15:07
Mr Sydney, I was not "blaming" anyone. I thought that was very obvious. I was seeking other peoples experience and offering my own. That was what most sensible, rational and positive people who subscribe to a forum such as this seek to do. Unfortunately there are negative, bitter exceptions to every rule without naming names.

December 27th, 2005, 15:12
I have stayed there four or five times now over the past eighteen months or so. The rooms were always lovely, but I have twice had the single bed problem.

I do agree that it seems a very strange thing to do in a gay hotel, even without the problem of having someone with you all night, I am so used to a large bed at home that I tend to fall out of small beds and give myself mild heart attacks!!

Not sure that it really earns the high price, I have never yet had a room with a safe in it. It is purely the convenience for me, and the fact that I am too lazy to move elsewhere!!

December 28th, 2005, 02:28
I should really hear you apologise to me"sydneyboy".

December 28th, 2005, 05:40
Have just returned after two weeks at the Tarntawan. The room we had has been updated very nicely - (on the 8th (top) Floor) and my friend and I enjoyed the visit very much. The staff and service were, as always, superb.

The only complaints we had were (1) Noise from the adjacent room at early hours of the morning. This due to mostly to the connecting (locked) door, which not only permitted the excessive noise to penetrate but also the cigarette smoke! We were given another (similar) room without connecting door just down the hall and this proved to be great. (2) We agree, the hot water pressure was awful as usual - and it was a chore getting the right "mix" to take a shower -- forget taking a bath, by the time the tub had enough water in it you were too tired to bother. (3) The arm chairs in the bedroom are not for prolonged sitting - found them to be most uncomfortable after a while - but in Bangkok, who sits around their Hotel room for very long?

We have enjoyed several visits to this Hotel and will continue to return. The food is very good. Free Internet. And the free happy hour cocktail party on Wednesday (sometimes Thursday) is an added nice touch.

Although some think that this Hotel is a strictly Gay Hotel, this is really not the case. Very gay friendly - yes, and you do run into gay friends there you have met on previous visits. But, they also cater to a "mixed" clientele, which personally doesn't bother us in the least. We will probably be back in April next year.
Hayjon

December 29th, 2005, 00:42
I've been coming here for the past four years and will continue to do so. I've always had a double plus bed and have never had any problems with water pressure. I always request a room on a high floor because I like to see the BKK skyline and have always been given what I want. The renovations have improved the rooms considerably; the hgh-tec controls are particularly useful. The staff are friendly and helpful and the location could not be bettered.

sydneyboy
December 29th, 2005, 04:05
Thank you Nelson and all the other contributors (with the one egregious exception). It is clear that peoples experieces vary. I have stayed there 7 or 8 times in the past 4 years and have never had problems with double beds or water pressure and as I said before I have always found the service excellent .It is true that it is not an exclusively gay hotel which does not concern me. My only concern was with the quality of the rooms pre renovation, they were looking rather shabby.

I must say I also believed the tariiff at 2400b a night (they offered me 2000b on my last visit )excellent value bearing in mind its location. I find it strange that some people consider this expensive.

Dick
December 30th, 2005, 17:23
I spent a few days with the bf at the Tarntawan prior to visiting Pattaya a few weeks ago. Hadn't been there for 12 months. The special friends rate now slightly up since November but still tremendous value. The standard refurbished rooms are bright, well appointed, and very pleasant... only point I would make is that the entry area to the room between front door, bathroom, fridge, closet, etc. and main carpeted living area now features matt ceramic tiling to help make the floor non slip as you leave the bathroom... the tiles don't look or feel clean underfoot although they obviously are, but credit to the management for thinking anti-slip safety. When booking (any hotel) don't forget to request '1 big bed' ~ the Tarntawan's standard offering is Queen sized. Staff continue to offer brilliant service, and most faces you remember and remember you. That longevity of service tells me they're happy working there. BF loves the place. Breakfast for two included and cooked to order any time is a nice touch.

Has anyone noticed the Tarntawan appartments located just around the corner in Soi Tawan... immediately on your left as you turn the corner. I believe its owned by the Tarntawan hotel and is being groomed for longer term visitors. Anyone stayed there yet?

After returning to Bangkok bf and I tried the Montien just off Suriwong Road. Had always wondered what it was like. Has had I believe a notorious reputation for not allowing overnight guests (boy or girl). I booked through
http://www.thailand-hotel.net/bangkok/h ... 623th.html (http://www.thailand-hotel.net/bangkok/hotels/hotel_1623th.html)
and at 1750Baht including VAT and Service for a double room with 1 big bed, found it tremendous value when you consider their rack rate is 3,600Baht. You have to pre-pay a deposit with the balance paid 2 weeks prior to arrival, and any amendments will attract a penalty, but as our itinerary was sorted that didn't present any problem. No coffee/tea making facilities in the room, and you don't get breakfast for that 1750B rate, but Dicks is just around the corner with breakfast at 120B, or you can drown yourself in coffee at Starbucks at the corner of the entry road to the Montien. The rooms are slightly bigger than Tarntawan, a little plusher with more furniture and a large Queen sized bed with a lovely deep mattress that hugs you to sleep. No problems provided you name your partner when booking and you both turn up for registration together. We weren't the only gay couple and I saw at least three other man and smiling Thai boy couples. Staff all very beautiful even cute, efficient and very courteous; and definitely no snobbery that I might have expected to see from its reputation. In fact a joy to stay there. Only niggle is that whilst like the Tarntawan, their (free) safety deposit is down by the cashier's desk in reception, they do offer an in-room safe deposit... which you can rent for 100B per night! Bloody cheeky if you ask me. Being more upmarket, you don't of course use their laundry at 175B per shirt (you can buy a shirt in the market for that)... not when the laundry near the bf's loom only charges 30B. Nor do you use the mini-bar at 130B for a fruit juice when you can buy it in the 7/11 for 18B. But that aside, very nice thank you, and we would definitely stay there again... just as we have no hesitation in going back to the Tarntawan. And the Montien certainly helps those in a 'relationship' to keep to the straight and narrow if ever on occasion, tempted to 'cheat'.
Montien for couples; Tarntawan for Butterflies?

December 30th, 2005, 17:30
I've stayed at Tarntawan on the odd occasion when I've had the builders in or there's been some other problem at home, and recommend it to whomever asks - but warn that they must insist on the "big bed" and complain vigorously and often if it doesn't eventuate. I have to tell you a 3some on one of the twin beds just doesn't cut it. Don't talk to the Thai staff, go straight to the Western owners and make it clear that Sawatdee Forum will be one of the many places where you will trash their reputation if the situation is not fixed. The last time I stayed there the cover of the lavatory pan was already broken

On the plus side - no joiner's fee (even for multiples) and great security when guests leave, not having stayed overnight

atri1666
December 30th, 2005, 22:13
The last years I stayed many times and never problems with big bed or hot water or visitors. Always friendly personal. But this december first time stayed in Tawana Ramada because Tarntawan is now for me overpriced. I payed 32Euro for night in Ramada and Tarntawan wanted 48 Euro. Also no problems in Ramada and also very helpful and friendly personal. When you check in your thai-friend at reception there is no joinercharge in Tawana-Ramada.

December 30th, 2005, 23:00
Don't talk to the Thai staff, go straight to the Western owners and make it clear that Sawatdee Forum will be one of the many places where you will trash their reputation if the situation is not fixed.

Aaaaaaah I can just imagine,they must be shakin in their boots after you telling them that.

December 30th, 2005, 23:39
When you check in your thai-friend at reception there is no joinercharge in Tawana-Ramada.
Well yes - if you check in with your boyfriend there won't be a problem at any hotel. It's when you're returning with the "boyfriend" who changes every day (or possibly every hour) that you encounter the "joiner's fee" issue

SteveSF-old
December 31st, 2005, 07:49
Echoing the previous ON TOPIC poster's, I love the location, very much like the attentive staff, but find the rooms to be a bit disappointing for the price charged. I last stayed there in June, 2005, and would consider it again. I would also recommend a high floor, as the rooms on the 2nd or 3rd floors to the left of the elevator (as you exit the elevator) are very tired, with noisy, dripping air conditioners.

December 31st, 2005, 09:20
I'm in the wrong thread :oops: