PDA

View Full Version : 22K gold in Thailand?

January 27th, 2006, 23:00
I will be in Thailand on 6 Feb. and really excited about the trip.

I want to bring Boy Special a gold chain. All of my Chinese friends in Singapore and in Malyasia prefer 22K (.976) gold over 14k and 18k gold that is common here in U.S. Is it the same in Thailand?

If I bring 14k or 18k gold will Boy Special not appreciate it as much since it isn't 22k? If so, I guess that I would be better off buying him 22k when I'm in Thailand.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your suggestions.

January 27th, 2006, 23:27
Gold in Thailand is 22 K and Thai prefers 22 K more as 14 K and 18 k. There are many shops and good assortments, You friend will love to go shop for gold whit you in Thailand

January 28th, 2006, 05:15
Baz is right... Thais love gold... they sell it for baht which they love more.

Dick
January 28th, 2006, 05:53
If you want to give him a gift of gold, buy it only in Thailand. He won't like foreign gold, and any impact you intended will be lost.
Most Thai gold you see in the shops is 96.5% pure (a little above 23 karat) and as Thai gold, is readily/easily traded by weight at todays value in the gold shops. You're paying the premium/jewellers profit margin when you buy it. Gold Bhudda's and other adornments that you might add to a chain, are often slightly lesser in content because of their subject matter, at 20 carat.
The real value of gold to Thai people, is it's instant re-sale value. So a neck chain is like wearing cash around your neck for all to know. They wear it as 'insurance' for hard times. If you give him gold that is not Thai, he will not appreciate it for what it is because (a) it isn't Thai, and (b) doesn't command the same retail value as Thai gold in Thailand. Nor will his friends who see it.
And as other posters have suggested, he will enjoy the thrill of helping you choose what to buy, and can express any preferences as to the length or style of chain, of which there are many.
Believe me. Do yourself a favour. Don't waste your money on non Thai gold, either for him, or yourself.

January 28th, 2006, 05:56
Thanks for your advise! That is exactly what I wanted to know. I know that Malays and Singaporeans prefer Asian gold and really look down upon non-Asian gold (14k or 18k). Now I know that Thais are the same! I'll wait until i am in Thailand to buy the gold.

As a side note (inquiry) I thought that I saw something here about export restrictions taking Thai gold out of the country. If I want to buy some gold can I bring it home with me?

Thanks again!

Hobie

January 28th, 2006, 06:13
Hoby 99, there is a other topic about gold on this forum " If you good man buy me gold mak mak " , and a good information link about Thai gold .

http://gold.yabz.com/index.htm

Link post by Joe. M in " If you good man... "

Dick
January 28th, 2006, 06:16
If I want to buy some gold can I bring it home with me?

I do. Just wear it. Whose to say you haven't been accustomed to wearing it for years?
I don't think there would be any problem taking it out of Thailand... but you run the risk of your home country's Customs querying it if challenged.
So best not to travel with all your gold at the same time!

sing_lofty_sing
January 28th, 2006, 06:23
My God hark you lot!!! if a Thai treats your gift by looking down his nose at it then that boy or girl isnt worth being with. Im sorry a gift is just that , So you buy your friend a gold chain and pendant from the UK of which a lot of gold is 9ct. So its a gift your giving him same as a box of chocci's is a gift. So the value isnt great so bloodY what!!!! ITS A GIFT GUYS. not a pay cheque.

January 28th, 2006, 06:28
On each trip I buy Thai gold and wear it home. Never had a problem. I always buy a nice assortment of gold baubles when visiting the LOS.

In fact on the last trip went through a full security check, the new gold chain with the gold-plastic encased Buddha drew a nice smile and wave through the rest of the security check. The security man said something to the gate attendant and my seat was upgraded from economy to business! BTW, the buddha was gift from a BF. It has always brought me good luck.

Boxer
January 28th, 2006, 12:06
10200 baht a baht weight is price at moment. Buy here for boy for sure he can see the price then. Dont forget the buddha on the end of the chain from 4000 baht.

Up2U
January 28th, 2006, 14:24
"My God hark you lot!!! if a Thai treats your gift by looking down his nose at it then that boy or girl isnt worth being with. Im sorry a gift is just that , So you buy your friend a gold chain and pendant from the UK of which a lot of gold is 9ct. So its a gift your giving him same as a box of chocci's is a gift. So the value isnt great so bloodY what!!!! ITS A GIFT GUYS. not a pay cheque."......a Thai would have difficulty selling your UK gold and would get only a fraction of the value. Your gift in his eyes has as much value as a pair of fake Levi's.

January 28th, 2006, 20:58
I believe these boys only like the Thai gold as they can tell the value of it.

I bought at vast expense a beautiful ( western)gold necklace for my (ex) boy special from a boutique at the Dusit Resort and it did not come cheap. Only the best I thought for my lover, and presented it to him with a great flourish. He wore it but with a sulky look for many hours and when I finally said "whatsa wrong darlink ?"..he turned all cat's eyes and snarly and said "you give me cheap gold necklace and think I'm to silly to know"

Well dear did I go right off !!! ..yes I went right of back to my Dusit suite muttering and got stuck into the gin.

Hours later and after a tongue lashing from a mamasan he turned up in tears saying how worthless he was (unlike the necklace). Poor lad was in tears the whole time as we drove to the airport the next day sobbing loudly..I felt really awful..and sniffing tears as we parted at immigration. I turned for one last look and I could see he was having it appraised at a gold shop with a huge grin on his face.

January 28th, 2006, 22:08
As others have said, thais prefer their own gold, because they know the value and can change it or sell it, when they need money. I have travelled with my b/f in Laos and in Myanmar, where the gold are just as nice as in Thailand and much cheaper, but he would not have it, because he cannot sell it in Thailand to a good value.
So therefore: if you want give him gold, buy thaigold. :blackeye:

January 28th, 2006, 22:08
As others have said, thais prefer their own gold, because they know the value and can change it or sell it, when they need money. I have travelled with my b/f in Laos and in Myanmar, where the gold are just as nice as in Thailand and much cheaper, but he would not have it, because he cannot sell it in Thailand to a good value.
So therefore: if you want give him gold, buy thaigold. :blackeye:

bucknaway
January 28th, 2006, 22:25
Would you guys buy me some gold?

I had a friend in Chiang Mai.... I say "HAD" because I don't talk to him anymore.

During my trip in 2004, he and I spend time together in Chiang Mai and he told me his sad story of hard times. We all have hard times and no one gives us money... well not me anyway. So I encouraged him to spend less time with me and more time working. I did it in a kind and friendly way. He and I have been friends for a few years and chat online when I am not in Thailand so we are able to communicate in a way that fast friends could not...

Anyway, when I was in the mall... He grabbed my arm in a friendly way and tried to direct me towards a Gold seller and sung out the words.... "Something for me" He said it with the sill of a top-notch moneyboy... My reply was "Ha... No.... (I said something cute also but I forgot what it was). And we walked on.

Then before I left, he told me about his money problems. I told him I am not rich and I he is not a moneyboy.

I also told him that if he is my friend than stop asking me for money. I also asked him if he is a moneyboy then he should tell me and should not be a secret to me.

We chatted on the internet a few times in 2005 but I could tell he did not know who he was talking to and I felt it best to just let it go...

My last message to him was I will only accept him as a friend, I do not want to have a moneyboy in Chiang Mai. (For the record... He does very well for himself).

bucknaway
January 29th, 2006, 02:44
If the friendship is genuine then a gift is a gift. If your friendship is a rental then your gift is a coupon.

When is a gold chain not a gold chain?

When is a gift not a gift?

When is a friendship not a friendship?

When I value a friendship, I value every gift given. If a friend were to give me a gold chain, it would never enter into my mind to sell it. Come hell or high season. (That was a joke... Hell or high water was changed to High Season... Get it? It was a... Oh nevermind..... )

My God hark you lot!!! if a Thai treats your gift by looking down his nose at it then that boy or girl isnt worth being with. Im sorry a gift is just that , So you buy your friend a gold chain and pendant from the UK of which a lot of gold is 9ct. So its a gift your giving him same as a box of chocci's is a gift. So the value isnt great so bloodY what!!!! ITS A GIFT GUYS. not a pay cheque.

bucknaway
January 29th, 2006, 02:52
Hey, for those that enjoy the benefits of giving a gold chain.. Why not try this... Have the "FRIEND" go with you to a gold shop, let them pick out the "GIFT" and have the shop keep do something special to it or a charm made for it with your initials & date... Then tell the shop keep you will be back for it in so many days... Tell your friend that the gold is for him and you will give it to him as a gift on your final day with him.

Now you have a guy that "WANTS THAT GOLD TIP!" I mean "GIFT" and will do just about anything for it.... If you know what I mean.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/paulindelaware/iconsex-missionary.gif

Hey... it is worth a try..

This way you both will feel as good as gold http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/paulindelaware/peek.gif

January 29th, 2006, 05:47
One other thing to appreciate is that Thais view gold gifts differently to Westerners. It is like money in the bank and not an item of sentimental value linked to the person who gave it.

Some Westerners get very upset if they give a valuable gold necklace and it is not worn on the next visit. This is particularly so for some who like to have a boyfriend walking around covered in jewellery to display their largesse.

He may have changed it for a design he considers prettier or more fashionable.

He may have sold it for some reason and bought one of lesser value. It is difficult/impossible for a Thai to refuse his parents need for money. If Mama need operation gold goes.

He may be a gambler.

I don't know OP's particular situation but I have always felt that it may be better to pay for a friend to learn some skill at a school which he can use to get a good employment

January 29th, 2006, 21:13
Gold sales drop sharply in Thailand

www.chinaview.cn (http://www.chinaview.cn) 2006-01-29 20:38:17

BANGKOK, Jan. 29 (Xinhuanet) -- Sales of gold during the Chinese New Year holiday have dropped drastically compared with the last year's holiday sales, apparently due to its soaring price, according to the president of the Gold Traders Association.

Jitti Tangsitpakdi, president of the Gold Traders Association, was quoted by the Thai News Agency as saying on Sunday that high gold prices had depressed sales during the popular Chinese holidaythis year as people's purchasing power declined. He predicted that sales of gold, which is a favorite present during the annual celebrations, would tumble between 20 to 30 per cent this year.

Owners of gold shops in the Yavaraj area, Bangkok's Chinatown, saw their businesses going on quite actively Saturday afternoon and the festival traffic was heavy as people living in the area scheduled many exciting activities to celebrate Chinese New Year.

On Saturday, gold bar was being purchased at 10,200 baht (255 U.S. dollars) and the sales price was 10,300 baht (257.5 U.S. dollars) per baht weight (15.2 grams). Ornamental gold was bought at 10,081.40 baht (252.035 U.S. dollars) and sold at 10,600 baht (265 U.S. dollars) per baht weight.