View Full Version : Calling Thailand from the UK

December 31st, 2006, 02:30
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good service for calling Thailand with from the UK? I had been using a "Hello from UK" phone card - it used to be pretty reliable, but recently, its been completely pants. It seems to take 3/4 attempts to get through - and when I eventually do, I can hardly hear the person on the other end of the phone, grrrr

billyhouston
December 31st, 2006, 04:53
You might try:

http://www.bestminutes.co.uk/index2.php

or, if you are prepared to install some software on your computer,

http://www.voipdiscount.com/en/index.html

I use VoipDiscount for up to an hour a day UK-Thailand

December 31st, 2006, 04:56
I use tele stunt , 3pence a min payed on your bt phone bill

December 31st, 2006, 05:09
Find a shop that has a paypoint (yellow sign) and ask for an iPhone card (top uppable)

Cost less than a penny a minute even to mobiles.

Jetsam
December 31st, 2006, 05:10
I use www.webcalldirect.com (http://www.webcalldirect.com), you can use you own mobile or landline phone and it cost close to nothing to call for long time , only drawback is you have to deposit 10 euro/dollar I don't remember what, but positive thing is you will never get an outrageous phone bill.

December 31st, 2006, 05:37
thanks a lot for the suggestions,

will look into them!

Steve

December 31st, 2006, 15:23
1p a minute to the BF's mobile.
I have been using this for a long time now - good clear line - only cut off a couple of times after an hour of talking.
There is a 5pence connection charge.
Billed to your BT account (in my case NTL)

Call 0844 8612121 and follow the instructions. ie enter the desired number (00 66 8********) and then press #.

Takes very little time to get connected.

Cheers

December 31st, 2006, 18:18
----it used to be pretty reliable, but recently, its been completely pants. It seems to take 3/4 attempts to get through - and when I eventually do, I can hardly hear the person on the other end of the phone, grrrr

Just a thought, if they are recent could the connection/quality problems be due to damage/aftermath of the Taiwan earthquake ? :geek:

December 31st, 2006, 19:13
thailand (mobile) 0844 439 91 91 - 3p per minute but remember the minimum connection charge if this applies
thailand (landline) 0844 462 28 28 2p per minute but remember the minimum connection charge if this applies

December 31st, 2006, 19:48
thailand (mobile) 0844 439 91 91 3
thailand (landline) 0844 462 28 28 2

The 3 & the 2 quoted by Whitedesire at the end of the number is not part of the telephone number but the cost of the call.
Telesavers charges:
3p mobile
2p landline
And I believe there is a connection charge also - 5pence

cheers

January 1st, 2007, 10:19
... will alter that NOW. Connection charges would apply from any provider, generally it is in the region of 3p with BT depending on which tariff you choose. I think other providers have a connection charge of around 3p also. This is generally a minimum charge rather than a connection charge. For instance, if you stay on the phone for 10 seconds you will be charged the minimum connection charge of 3p. However, if you use the phone for say 3 minutes, you will "ride" the connection charge out.

I noticed also that if one has a Orange contract mobile phone and they spend 30 quid a month and have an 18 month contract can get Broadband free, and more importantly for an extra 5 quid can get free local calls and free international calls to over 100 destinations which includes Thailand.

January 1st, 2007, 17:28
Why not using www.skype.com (http://www.skype.com) ?? It's for free or otherwise dirt cheap. Works for landlines or/and mobiles.

If you are calling often, there is costswise hardly any alternative. It works also inside the UK or nearly everywhere world wide.

January 1st, 2007, 20:26
... but the other person has to be a member of skype also to get free calls, also on that basis, it is similar to MSN or Yahoo messenger really. Although their calls are cheap (if not the cheapest) when you ring people without the other person being a member of skype.

There are lots of ways now, no need to use expensive minute charges by expensive providers. Even BT have the VOIP facility now, so I suspect cheap and free calls.

January 1st, 2007, 23:11
... but the other person has to be a member of skype also to get free calls, also on that basis, it is similar to MSN or Yahoo messenger really. Although their calls are cheap (if not the cheapest) when you ring people without the other person being a member of skype.

There are lots of ways now, no need to use expensive minute charges by expensive providers. Even BT have the VOIP facility now, so I suspect cheap and free calls.

If the reciver is on Skype it is free (in US or CAN it's free for all) - otherwise using Skype you can contact more or less any phone numer (mobile or landline) you like for a fraction of costs usually charged for a standard or even discounted call.

Whith Yahoo of MSN messenger you need a internet connection for "free calls" otherwise i can be costly.

January 1st, 2007, 23:11

If the reciver is on Skype it is free (in US or CAN it's free for all) - otherwise using Skype you can contact more or less any phone numer (mobile or landline) you like for a fraction of costs usually charged for a standard or even discounted call.

Whith Yahoo of MSN messenger you need a internet connection for "free calls" otherwise i can be costly.

January 2nd, 2007, 04:07

You might be only to answer me this, but what is the difference with your statement and mine!

January 14th, 2007, 02:34
1p a minute to the BF's mobile.
I have been using this for a long time now - good clear line - only cut off a couple of times after an hour of talking.
There is a 5pence connection charge.
Billed to your BT account (in my case NTL)

Call 0844 8612121 and follow the instructions. ie enter the desired number (00 66 8********) and then press #.

Takes very little time to get connected.

Cheers

Hi,

I tried this yesterday - the line was very good, much better then what I'd been using. But is it really only 1p a minute? I don't want a nasty surprise when the phone bill comes. I was wondering if 1p a minute goes to the company, then maybe BT wallop me for calling an 0844 number? If not, I don't see how anyone can make money?!

Steve

Michael
January 14th, 2007, 05:02
Hi,
I tried this yesterday - the line was very good, much better then what I'd been using. But is it really only 1p a minute? I don't want a nasty surprise when the phone bill comes.
Steve
I've tried it too and look forward (?) to receiving my BT bill!

January 14th, 2007, 05:15
As I said in a previous post - I have been using it for many months and NTL bill me for 1p a minute, and that's to the BF's mobile.

:cheers:

January 15th, 2007, 23:25
Hi Rogered,

Thanks for the hot tip - and sorry I doubted you!

Just checked my BT bill online, and soooo cheap - and the line quality is perfect,

12 JAN 23:39 Add to Address book 0844 8612121 01:08:55 0.612
13 JAN 01:00 Add to Address book 0844 8612121 01:17:14 0.683

Definately the way forward!

Steve

January 16th, 2007, 01:08
It used to be 0.5 pence a minute. It was twice as good then.

rogered :drunken: