PDA

View Full Version : Chiang Mai

January 27th, 2006, 21:37
Could someone please give me the name of the hotel, in Chaing Mai, which has a large tree in the grounds.The rooms are located around this tree. It was posted on the old board, regarding the name of the hotel and its excellent service and comfortable rooms. If i remember correctly i am sure the type of tree is incorporated in the hotel's name. I am planning on visiting Chiang Mai, in April and would like to stay there. But i cannot make a reservation if i do not know the name of the hotel in question. Thankyou you all in advance for your assistance.

TrongpaiExpat
January 27th, 2006, 21:46
Could it be the Chatree Hotel, now called the Gate?
www.chiangmai-online.com/cmgate/ (http://www.chiangmai-online.com/cmgate/)

Chatree Guest House or Chatree wing was just remodeled. That was the original hotel. The rooms are very nice but the one we had last month had horrible water pressure and the hot water took forever to come out. We were on the 4th floor and everything was brand new. Other than the water pressure problem, it's an excellent value if you book via the above site.

Consider: pjs-place.com/ (http://pjs-place.com/) if that's within your budget.

January 27th, 2006, 23:33
Rates even lower on this site:
http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/chian ... _gate.html (http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/chiang_mai/chiang_mai_gate.html)

I do not believe this hotel is related to a tree. The Chatree was the old name and I think that is just a Thai name that happens to have the word tree in it. Same way that chuk wow has nothing to do with ground chuck steak.

That said, this is a great value hotel, never heard of a problem with joiners, and convenient location to old town CM, but not especially near the gay areas, the river, or the night market. Have only stayed in the new wing, can't comment on the even cheaper guesthouse building.

TrongpaiExpat
January 28th, 2006, 00:08
This is a little confusing. The old Chartree wing, the original hotel is what they are calling the new deluxe rooms. The add on hotel, in front is what is now the old wing.

It's also hard to compare the price in general between the hotels web site and Asiarooms. Asiarooms has prices in dollar but converted to Baht range from 623 to 1,169 depending on the dates and calls it the standard room. The hotel web page lists two prices 650 Standard and 800 Deluxe.

So, best to check both sites for your dates and see what comes in cheaper.

January 28th, 2006, 00:30
I don't understand the confusion.
There are two buildings.
The Chatree building which is the original guesthouse.
These rooms are cheaper.
Then the newer (not new!) Chiang Mai Gate Hotel building.
A little more money.
The hotel reception is in the Chiang Mai Gate Hotel building.
Another thing about this hotel, very boring breakfast buffet, especially after a few days.
But the price is right.

TrongpaiExpat
January 28th, 2006, 01:05
I don't understand the confusion.
There are two buildings.
The Chatree building which is the original guesthouse.
These rooms are cheaper.
Then the newer (not new!) Chiang Mai Gate Hotel building.
A little more money.
The hotel reception is in the Chiang Mai Gate Hotel building.

OK, maybe I am not being clear. I was just there a few weeks ago. The original building, the Chatree wing, has just been totally remodeled and that is what they are now calling the new deluxe rooms.

The original building had rooms with Thai style showers, quite worn but generally clean. The remake was a complete change. Nice bathrooms and nice furniture. Nicer the then building in the front where the reception is located.

So, what was new, is now old, and called standard and what was old is now new and called deluxe.

January 28th, 2006, 10:43
Thanks, that does explain it.
I haven't been there since they obviously remodeled the Chatree Guesthouse wing.
Maybe the booking agents are confused too (or not up to date).

January 28th, 2006, 15:14
I use to stay there when the ole Macho Boy Bar was just a short walk away. The Chatree has a nice pool and never had a problem with overnight guest staying with yu. There was also a bar called the Lantern near by but I believe it also has disappeared. Catching a tuk tuk is easy but it is a little out of the way now.

pandorasbox-old
January 28th, 2006, 16:32
Another hotel with a tree in the name could be the Tamarind. This is also a nice hotel which friends of mine have used in the past.

TrongpaiExpat
January 28th, 2006, 21:13
Macho Bar, Lanterns and now add the Coffee boy and Cherry House all gone. Back then Chiang Mai has a certain quality, a laid back alternative to the glitter and thumpa thumpa of Bangkok and Pattaya. The Lanna boys were gentle and friendly.

Adam's Apple go go bar survives and on my visit the show was back but I hear it's touch and go with all the shows in Chiang Mai. The Social order machine hits hard in Chiang Mai, Thaksin's' home town.

Still, Chiang Mai has it charms. Take a boy from Bangkok or Pattaya with you there are lots working in the bars in BKK and Pattaya.

January 28th, 2006, 22:42
tamarindvillage (http://www.tamarindvillage.com)

January 29th, 2006, 23:28
Thankyou Guys, It was the Tamarind Village, i was seeking in Chiang Mai.