PDA

View Full Version : Buddha's blessings for the 'double James Bond year 2-007'

December 30th, 2006, 05:58
Buddha's blessings for the 'double James Bond year 2-007'

By METTANANDO BHIKKHU

Nothing in the world takes place without meaning; and there are always reasons behind every event. This belief is shared by most religious traditions: Buddhism, Christianity, Islam and others. Hinduism, in particular, deeply holds that names and numbers are holders of the elements intrinsic to particular persons and events. Therefore, names are very important.

Following this line of thought, the upcoming year of 2007 can, indeed, be very adventurous, as it does not only mean the 2007th Year of Our Lord, but also the double James Bond Year.

Full article http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/30Dec2006_news20.php

Dboy
December 30th, 2006, 11:13
year of YOUR lord.

December 30th, 2006, 15:01
....is the most widely used calendar in the world. A modification of the Julian calendar, it was first proposed by the Calabrian doctor Aloysius Lilius, and was decreed by Pope Gregory XIII, for whom it was named, on 24 February 1582 via the papal bull Inter gravissimas. Its years are numbered from the traditional birth year of Jesus, which is labeled the \\\"anno Domini\\\" (AD) era[1] and sometimes \\\"common era\\\" (CE).

The Gregorian Calendar was devised both because the mean year in the Julian Calendar was slightly too long, causing the vernal equinox to slowly drift backwards in the calendar year, and because the lunar calendar used to compute the date of Easter had grown conspicuously in error as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/300px-Tomb_of_Pope_Gregory_XIII.jpg
Tomb of Pope Gregory XIII in St. Peter\\\'s Basilica.

The Gregorian calendar system dealt with these problems by dropping a certain number of days to bring the calendar back into synchronization with the seasons, and then slightly shortening the average number of days in a calendar year, by omitting three Julian leap-days every 400 years.

courtesy wikipaedia.com

One is at liberty to use whatever calendar one wishes to. Happy Year of the Pig.

Bob
December 30th, 2006, 18:42
the papal bull

I've seen that term all my life and, for the first time (given the Church's attitude regarding gays, it's handling of its massive
pedophile problem, and even Benedict's recent "foot-in-mouth" comments about Islam), the word "bull" takes on new meaning for me. How true.
(not taking a swipe at you, WP, just commenting on my own religion....)