PDA

View Full Version : Admitting defeat at Suvarnabhumi: (for BoyGeenyus) ...

Smiles
December 30th, 2006, 05:37
This quote from the Bangkok Post thanks to a post on GayThailand (by GayButton: http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/index ... topic=1175 (http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1175) ). I tried mightily to access The Post website but to no avail, so here is the next best thing ... the text itself.

This account sounds a lot more than " ... all new airports have their teething problems ... " which is the regular riposte heard from those who are keeping their fingers crossed.

To be more personal, Mr Boygeenyus has been disparaging anyone on this Board expressing negative comments about the new airport . . . but 4 months on it seems the official sentiment is now bordering on abject horror. Mr Thaksin's face is beet red.

AIRPORT BOASTS FADE TO IGNOMINY

Slipshod Work Could Force Partial Closure

Suvarnabhumi airport's opening on Sept 28 was a major event of 2006. But boasting about its world-class facilities quickly faded as revelations of slipshod construction led to a countdown to its partial closure for repairs. Planning for the airport, at Nong Ngu Hao (cobra swamp) in Samut Prakan, began over four decades ago, with its opening repeatedly postponed from 2000.

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra took a personal interest in pushing for its early opening, including putting pressure on the builders by camping out at the site with his cabinet.

His government made much of the airport having the largest single terminal and tallest air traffic control tower.

Despite the change of government after the Sept 19 coup, authorities managed to open Suvarnabhumi on schedule.

But it was not long before they found that the previous postponements were not enough to ensure a well-built, efficient airport.

New problems kept surfacing.

The passenger terminal roof leaked and there was inadequate lighting at night. During the daytime, sunlight pouring in through the terminal's glass structure makes working conditions uncomfortable for immigration police in the departure zone. They must depend on makeshift sunshades.

The floors of the terminal have numerous cracks and the concreting is rough and unfinished. Taxiways and airport parking bays are also cracked, a consequence of building the airport on top of a swamp.

The revolving doors have proven impractical with 17 of the 26 having broken down, and their glass panes have also cracked. Airports of Thailand (AoT) will replace them with sliding doors _ at a cost of at least 10 million baht.

There are too few toilets and the toilet areas are too far apart. Authorities have admitted that space originally designated for toilets was instead given over to shops.

Excessive shopping outlets and food and beverage facilities make for narrow walking passages in the terminal. Passengers must struggle through the shopping areas to reach their departure gates. Arriving passengers exiting customs are channelled into narrow walkways squeezed between shops and vending outlets. The crowded passages are packed with touts for expensive airport limousines.

The fire-fighting systems and fire exits are also different from the original design.

Recently, Deputy Transport Minister Sansern Wongcha-um admitted that essential repairs and improvements to the three-month-old airport would require its partial closure. Pending completion of the task, the 92-year-old Don Muang airport would have to be reactivated.

AoT board member Yodyiam Theptranont, who has closely studied Suvarnabhumi's problems, said the estimated cost of the work was at least 1.5 billion baht.

The problems are being discussed with airport designers and contractors, who will draw up detailed lists and set priorities.

The countdown to Suvarnabhumi's partial closure is already ticking away.

Apart from the physical problems, Suvarnabhumi has managerial and workflow problems as well.

Staff are still unfamiliar with the luggage handling system. At peak hours, check-in queues for Thai Airways International stretch outside the terminal.

Queues for public metered taxis snake outside on the ground level in a semi-orderly fashion, with chits issued to drivers and passengers, but drivers of illegal taxis prey on arrivals indoors. Ongoing construction leaves laborers working near passengers and this has led to complaints of sexual harassment.

Cheers ....

December 30th, 2006, 17:57
During the daytime, sunlight pouring in through the terminal's glass structure makes working conditions uncomfortable for immigration police in the departure zone. They must depend on makeshift sunshades.

I've been to meetings where those who design modern corporate complexes have shown themselves to not even know which direction the sun rises from, let alone where north is on a map of their developments.

And I relish in absolute delight (or at least I'm sure that the Colonel thinks so) at smoker misfortune. It looks like the area outside where the taxi queues are will be OFF LIMITS to smokers with the new rules. Hopefully I will never have to stand in line and wait while the people behind, in front, and to the two lines each side of me all smoke at once (and use the floor, I might add to litter their butts for others to step on).

January 3rd, 2007, 09:54
Dear. I'm surprised and disappointed that you cannot see through this report to the underlining politics.

The present regime says the airport needs 1.5 billion baht in repairs. I read that as, "the previous regime lined their pockets with hundreds of millions of baht in baksheesh; now it's our turn".

In any case, the comfort of immigration police does not feature very high on my list of what makes an airport great. What does? Ease of access. Fairly priced food and beverages. Attractive environment. Efficiency.

Suvarnabhumi ranks high in all of them. The immigration cops can sweat through their tighty whities for all I care.

January 3rd, 2007, 09:56
Dear. I'm surprised and disappointed that you cannot see through this report to the underlining politics.

The present regime says the airport needs 1.5 billion baht in repairs. I read that as, "the previous regime lined their pockets with hundreds of millions of baht in baksheesh; now it's our turn".

In any case, the comfort of immigration police does not feature very high on my list of what makes an airport great. What does? Ease of access. Fairly priced food and beverages. Attractive environment. Efficiency.

Suvarnabhumi ranks high in all of them. The immigration cops can sweat through their tighty whities for all I care.

Smiles
January 3rd, 2007, 10:16
"DEAR"???

(Sounds like a Hedda preposition.)

Glad to see that you have finally been able to access the Board.
I expected a disparaging reply much sooner . . . feverishly wondering whether you had succumbed to a sexually transmitted disease (the more likely), or ~ secondly but sadly ~ been hit in the noggin by shrapnel from a terrorist bomb while chomping on a 'pain au chocolat' in Discovery Center in Siam Square.

" ... Be careful out there ... " & cheers ...

January 6th, 2007, 08:19
You should know by now that, as a convert to Siamism ("more Cathoilic than the Pope"), boygeenyus is quite incapable of admitting anything at all could be wrong with the Thais. Such a thought smacks of "hating Thailand". Us grown-ups know that every country has its blemishes, and in the case of places known for their corruption it's a lay-down misere that a large infrastructure project, such as an airport, will be flawed from inception to delivery. Teamed with Dr Toxin's mad insistence that a half-finished facility be opened according to his whim, and the latest announcements from the Thai government were inevitable. Regrettably (for us all) boygeenyus' emotional and intellectual development atrophied in the tropical heat almost from the moment he set foot in the kingdom as a mere stripling, and we have to suffer such condescension as your thread topic suggests (unless, like me, you have the young fool almost permanently on {Ignore})

January 6th, 2007, 08:28
DELETED

January 6th, 2007, 11:58
You should know by now that, as a convert to Siamism ("more Cathoilic than the Pope"), boygeenyus is quite incapable of admitting anything at all could be wrong with the Thais. Such a thought smacks of "hating Thailand". Us grown-ups know that every country has its blemishes, and in the case of places known for their corruption it's a lay-down misere that a large infrastructure project, such as an airport, will be flawed from inception to delivery. Teamed with Dr Toxin's mad insistence that a half-finished facility be opened according to his whim, and the latest announcements from the Thai government were inevitable. Regrettably (for us all) boygeenyus' emotional and intellectual development atrophied in the tropical heat almost from the moment he set foot in the kingdom as a mere stripling, and we have to suffer such condescension as your thread topic suggests (unless, like me, you have the young fool almost permanently on {Ignore})

The poor old dear is beginning to sound like broken record. Not surprising, since he's had me on ignore since the late 1950's.

Smiles
January 10th, 2007, 22:51
" ... unless, like me, you have the young fool almost permanently (???) on {Ignore}) ... "
Sneaking peeks 'every so often' undermines your moral superiority.

Cheers ....

January 11th, 2007, 06:55
Sneaking peeks 'every so often' undermines your moral superiorityFeelings of "moral superiority" are best left to hypocrites ... like boygeenyus, for example. I know I'm a sinner and this flesh is frail :bounce:

And before we get clowns who will start up about how wonderful Buddhism is vs. Christianity because it doesn't have the notion of sin, I'd point out that the notion of sin ("falling short") and the notion of the cause of suffering ("the wheel that's out of kilter", as Steve Hagen puts it in his excellent Buddhism, plain and simple) are conceptually so similar as to be indistinguishable for practical purposes

Lunchtime O'Booze
January 11th, 2007, 07:12
I've read the same book !!

I like the slight edge that Christianity has over Buddhism on the sinful side though...although brought up in a non-religious home my first partner was a devout Catholic and revelled in sin as he always said he could repent on his death bed. Having it both ways ( which he did) seemed like a pretty good policy.
:cheers: