PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question re: Flying

colmx
December 28th, 2006, 01:34
Hi All
I'm due to fly to LOS on Friday
Its been 7 months since my last trip and the airline rules have changed considerably since then.
I have a list of things that i usually bring with me in my carry on luggage.
(bear in mind that i have to fly Dublin-Paris-Bangkok
and that I'm a very fussy eater - so i like to bring some food with me to keep me going!)

Is there any of these that i am now no longer allowed to bring in my carry on luggage?
-MP3 Player Headphones
-Spare AAA battery
-Mobile Phone
-Digital camera (accessories in suitcase)
-Small tube of hand cream
-Lip Balm
-Ear plugs and eye mask
-Mini-toothbrush kit
-Some Strepsils
-Some Paracetamol
-Some Antihistamine (makes me sleepy)
-Some small bread rolls
-Some cheddar cheese
-6 Pack of individually wrapped Biscuits
-Small Packet or 2 of crisps (chips to you americans!)

BF has a computer now - so i won't bring my laptop (would i be allowed to carry it onboard if i wanted to?)

I also usually have 500ML of water with me - but i presume i'll have to buy that (at exhorbitant price!) inside the security check area now?

I know it a seems like a stupid question - but i don't want to:
Have to leave my Mp3 player, new cam or mobile at some stupid x-ray machine!
And I don't want to starve when air france hand me a mouldy dinner only fit for the bin!

Bob
December 28th, 2006, 05:16
Not sure about the YUK, but you're okay for US standards. You're correct about the water - no liquids (pop, water, etc.) but you can buy those between security and the gate and take them onboard.
No problem with the electronic devices (but, for the first time, I was told on two different airlines that I wasn't allowed to operate my digital camera during the flight - either to take photos out the window or to simply review photos on the lcd screen - because it was an "electronic device." I cheated a bit on that order (if my camera screws up the avionics or communications on an airplane, I sure as hell don't want to fly on it!).

Hmmm
December 28th, 2006, 07:38
US, UK and continental European regulations were all different when I was traveling several months ago. UK (esp. Heathrow) and US airports were the strictest, but not necessarily about the same things. The regulations have since changed again.

Current regulations still seem focussed on fluids / creams / gels. Restrictions on electronic devices seem to have been removed.

What I did at the time was print out the regulations from each airlines' website. If necessary I also checked the airport web sites themselves. It was a pain in the ass but at least I knew where I stood.

Dublin looks to be less strict that Heathrow. Good to see that you can't carry a catapult on board out of Dublin ....
Dublin Secrity Info (http://www.dublinairport.com/plan-your-trip/key-information/airport-security.html)
Heathrow Security Info (http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/controller/dispatcher.jsp?CiID=fb9da11b4763d010VgnVCM10000036 821c0a____&ChID=b0eba11b4763d010VgnVCM10000036821c0a____&Ct=B2C_CT_GENERAL&CtID=448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____&Ch=Security+control&ChPath=Home%5ELHR%5EAirport+Information%5ESecurity +control&ChIDPath=caf397dc2eb12010VgnVCM100000147e120a____)

Not sure about Paris. Haven't been through CDG for a while.

Dick
December 28th, 2006, 09:47
British Airways have a useful FAQ site here (https://lfn.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/lfn.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2408&p_sid=lYwaYdqi&p_lva=2355&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfc m93X2NudD03JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0 mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ 2U9MQ%2A%2A&p_li=#).
London airports are the toughest and their rules apply to any flights via London. So if you comply with those you should be safe whichever your route through Europe. The link addresses many of your questions.
Do heed the carry on bag size restrictions.
Enjoy your holiday.

December 28th, 2006, 10:02
If your flight went over a country like Pakistan, as do very many flights to Bangkok from Europe.
Then you are forbidden to take areal photography. The crews will just give this warning once.

Make sure all fluids are 3 oz size or smaller and all in a quart sized ziplock bag
(the same bags used by dope pushers) which must be visible to the Homeland Secirity in the USA.
Not a black plastic bag. Not a gallon sized bag. Out and visible.

December 28th, 2006, 14:34
Can I carry a leatherman tool in my luggage? Why is this message two feet wide?

Hmmm
December 28th, 2006, 17:05
This thread is two feet wide because of the British Airport Authority's attempt at the record for the world's longest URL in my post above. I think they get the record.

colmx
December 29th, 2006, 02:26
Hi Guys
Thanks for the input!

All packed up now and killing time till its time to sleep!

Luckily I have the Company of Kazakstans Borat to pass away the next 1.5 hours! :albino:

See ya all in Thailand!

colmx
January 31st, 2007, 05:02
To follow up on my last post:

On the way home from BKK, 2 weeks ago I bought a litre of Johnny Black in Bkk airport Duty ...

Brought it on Board My flight and flew to Paris no problems...

In CDG before boarding my flight to Dublin my bottle was confiscated - according to the French security staff one may only fly on an inter-EU flight with Duty free purchased in the EU...

So beware next timen on your flights home...

I'm sure the nasty piece of work who stole my whiskey is enjoying it!

Also i notice that its possible to take water through the security checkpoints in Suvarnabhumi - make sure you do as theres none for sale inside teh checkpoints!

I nearly died of thirst waiting for a drink from the lazy Air france cabin crew.

Next time I'm def flying with SAS - AF make Lufthansa seem nice :compress:

colmx
January 31st, 2007, 05:03
To follow up on my last post:

On the way home from BKK, 2 weeks ago I bought a litre of Johnny Black in Bkk airport Duty ...

Brought it on Board My flight and flew to Paris no problems...

In CDG before boarding my flight to Dublin my bottle was confiscated - according to the French security staff one may only fly on an inter-EU flight with Duty free purchased in the EU...

So beware next timen on your flights home...

I'm sure the nasty piece of work who stole my whiskey is enjoying it!

Also i notice that its possible to take water through the security checkpoints in Suvarnabhumi - make sure you do as theres none for sale inside teh checkpoints!

I nearly died of thirst waiting for a drink from the lazy Air france cabin crew.

Next time I'm def flying with SAS - AF make Lufthansa seem nice :compress:

January 31st, 2007, 06:57
CDG = Charles De Gaulle Airport which serves Paris

"In CDG before boarding my flight to Dublin my bottle was confiscated - according to the French security staff one may only fly on an inter-EU flight with Duty free purchased in the EU" Colmx

I though the rule was that you may only fly within the EU with goods on which local taxes had been paid. Duty free is for passengers exitting the EU? Did you pass through Charles De Gaulle "in transit" or enter France? If you were "in transit' it seems a very harsh ruling which needs challenging.

I have many friends who travel from Manchester or Birmingham UK via Amsterdam to Bangkok. None have had any such problems there whether in transit or overnighting.

January 31st, 2007, 07:53
I had no problem with Thai bought booze at CDG but i did have a problem getting between terminals for heathrow connection - bloody late bus and all. ..unhelpful staff etc .... never went there again!

colmx
January 31st, 2007, 19:44
Hi Wowpow
These are new rules and I agree they need challanging

As per oogleman - I will never fly air france again - definately the worst i have flown to LOS on from:
-SAS
-KLM
-Lufthansa
-China Airlines
-BA
-Quantas
-Swiss
-Thia

(Yes I'm a complete slut when it comes to flights to LOS - would fly any airline to save a few quid!)

Kust booked SAS flight for my next trip in April...
Great timings for Dublin-Bkk via copenhagen
Songkran here i come!

January 31st, 2007, 20:26
I'm astonished that your JW was confiscated in CDG. Did you take the confiscator's ID. Hope you write to Air France requesting confirmation that the confiscation was correctly applied and fully documented or reimbursement at Irish retail prices. Ask also when and how the airline brought this regulation to your attention.

I did flights via Zurich on Swiss at Christmas/New Year. As Switzerland isn't in the EU then I wouldn't have met the same regulation.

Glad you have discovered proper whisky ;)

jinks
February 1st, 2007, 00:41
-MP3 Player Headphones
-Spare AAA battery
-Mobile Phone
-Digital camera (accessories in suitcase)
-Small tube of hand cream
-Lip Balm
-Ear plugs and eye mask
-Mini-toothbrush kit
-Some Strepsils
-Some Paracetamol
-Some Antihistamine (makes me sleepy)
-Some small bread rolls
-Some cheddar cheese
-6 Pack of individually wrapped Biscuits
-Small Packet or 2 of crisps (chips to you Americans!)

And I don't want to starve when Air France hand me a mouldy dinner only fit for the bin!

In this world you get what you pay for.
Air France will be giving you a cheeeeeep seat.

Therefore - Fly Business relax and enjoy.
I do :colors:

colmx
February 1st, 2007, 01:39
Hi jinks
I try to go to Thailand 3 times a year and Bf comes here once a year...
So the Cheap seats are the only way i can afford to fly (and give away bottles of Jonnie Black!)

Northstar,
Didn't get the ID number of the person doing teh security screening - but did ask to see a supervisor who showed me a leaflet describing their new security procedures...

I'm still considering writing to AF - but not sure if its worth the effort - just thought I'd bad mouth them instead!

Michael
February 1st, 2007, 04:42
............... And I don't want to starve when Air France hand me a mouldy dinner only fit for the bin!In this world you get what you pay for.
Air France will be giving you a cheeeeeep seat.
Therefore - Fly Business relax and enjoy.
I do :colors:jinks
Alas, not all of us can afford to travel business class!
I have simple needs: enough leg room to get comfortable: and enough booze (or sleeping pill) to get me off to sleep. I've found that there's a significant difference flying economy on different airlines. Quantas, was probably my favourite, the booze was especially good: Aussie Shiraz and was free flowing and the food OK (about as good as it gets for me on any airline). EVA Air regularly has the best economy prices and leg room (if you ask), but the food & booze are crap.
Colmx
I'm a fellow 'airline slut' but with far less experience than you. I'd love to hear your opinions, especially on your best and worst experiences.

February 1st, 2007, 04:49
i go to thailand 3-4 times a year from the states. i usually end up flying one leg on japan airlines, economy class. i can't imagine any airline having less leg room than JAL has...it is torture for me. i always dread and hate that 6 hours from narita to bkk.

colmx
February 1st, 2007, 05:14
Hi Michael
I actually forgot i also flew EVA from Amsterdam to Bkk
Without doubt my favourite airline to fly is SAS
Unfortunately there are no direct flights from Ireland to Thailand

When you book online with SAS you can actually bring up a plan of the plane and pick the seat you would like to sit at - Just like the cinema in Pattaya - this is great if you book early enough

On my last set of SAS flights i was able to get a Windowed Exit seat - on the outbound and return Leg... needless to say i was very happy about that!

Other things i like about SAS:
-Their flight leaves Dublin at 18.30 - This means i can work a half day (and keep more holidays for my next trip)
-The transfer time in copenhagen is only 1 hour
-If the flight from DUB is late they delay the BKK flight for you
-They have what seems to be "Husband and Wife" pairings as cabin crew - all seem to be lovey dovey and happy!
-Good entertainment - with Seatback screens
-On my return flight they get me back to dub at 10AM - this also means i can work another half day (and keep yet more holidays for my next trip!)

I didn't like flying with China Airlines - the aircraft was quite old and had no personal Screens

Lufthansa similarly had no seat back Screens (but i think thats changed now) 5 hour stopover in Frankfurt on the return leg (at leat they have 3 x sex shops there!)

The time i flew with Swiss the plane was more than half empty - i managed to get 3 seats to myself - unfortunately there was a long 6 hour stopover on the outbound leg in Geneva

Eva was probably the second best flight airline i have flown

BA was full of Yobs, but good entertainment and drinks

Quantas had very little leg room - and also plenty of wine!

KLM too left me with a 5 hour stopover in Amsterdam - but at least i was able to go to the City Centre for a quick cruise around some of my fave haunts!

I don't remember what Thai were like, just remember the fat scottish woman who fell asleep on my shoulder!

Michael
February 1st, 2007, 05:42
Thanks Colmx
Your experiences are very similar to mine. I guess it's down to your personal preferences. If I can get off to sleep, I don't give a damn if there's a video screen on the seat in front of me. That's why I like Eva, at Heathrow I can easily get an extra leg room seat (on account of my 6ft height). At Bangkok I was told that all seats were fully booked, but switched seats just before takeoff when I realised that two emergency exit seats were unoccupied.
I also suffered yobs on a BA flight. They kept shouting "GAY BOYFRIEND" to get attention of the camp flight attendant who, surprisingly, kept plying them with even more free alcohol.

February 1st, 2007, 16:54
As per oogleman - I will never fly air france again - definately the worst i have flown to LOS ....

Have to agree, Air France are the pits (even worse than BA). I flew once with them because there was a 'special offer' business class fare (I normally fly LHR-BKK premium economy on EVA or economy on THAI). The customer service on transfer at CDG was non-existant and every request for help or advice was greeted with a Gallic shrug of the shoulders and hands raised palm up in the air. The cabin service during the flight was appalling - on a couple of occasions had to 'bell' the flight attendant twice before there was a response. The food was pretty awful - whoever said French cuisine is the best can't have ever flown with the national airline!

The Air France business lounge at BKK was far too small and dirty and was a disgrace - insufficient seating, crap 'snacks', crap coffee and dirty tables (incidentally I see that KLM share the same lounge so be warned !).