PDA

View Full Version : BKK to Mukdahan

kodiak
December 26th, 2006, 23:28
I will be coming to Thailand in Feb and my BF wants me to go to his house in Mukdahan....? Trying to see what is the best way to get there.......is there a train that goes that way ......or is it best to avoid all of that and just fly...? I will not have a lot of funds as normal this trip...and just thinking to save a little....??? Any help is greatly appreciated..!!

December 26th, 2006, 23:51
Its 512km from bangkok. I went from sisaket and it was quite a drive. (you can fly to ubon and take a bus) If you haven`t been before theres a market for cheap shopping and some good restaurants but not much in the way of nightlife. You might want to take a ferry across the river and spend a day in Laos.

heres a link you might find helpful:

http://isan.sawadee.com/mukdahan/

Smiles
December 26th, 2006, 23:56
You've chosen a rather off the beaten track place to head for Kodiak. Mukdahan is as about as far north east as it's possible to get, right up there on the Laos border. Never been there, but I've heard it's quite beautiful and pretty quiet.

BY TRAIN: No train! You could take the train (from Bangkok) to Ubon Ratchathani and a bus to Mukdahan from there. The other train option would be from Bangkok to Khon Kaen and ~ again ~ a bus ride. The Khon Kaen option looks like slightly less distance on the map.

BY AIR: No airport? (At least a visit to the 'Airports of Thailand' site doesn't show one). Mukdahan may have a non-paved airport for Piper cubs and the like :blackeye:.
Nearest airports look like Ubon Ratchathani, Khon Kaen or Sakon Nhakon . . . and a bus from there. ( http://www.aircraft-charter-world.com/a ... ailand.htm (http://www.aircraft-charter-world.com/airports/asia/thailand.htm) )

BY BUS: I don't know for sure, but I would be very surprised if there was not a aircon bus from Bangkok to Mukdahan. But all roads hardly lead there, so I would also guess it would be a "change" route: i.e. something like the bus to Kalasin or Roi Et, then change for Mukdahan. Also the bus is quite cheap comparatively.

http://www.photodump.com/direct/sawatdee/thaimap.jpg

Cheers ...

llz
December 27th, 2006, 00:19
From the Lonely Planet & Rough Guide guides, I guess it would be easier to find a bus from Ubon than from Khon Kaen ; from Ubon it would be a 2 1/2 hours trip.
There are definitely direct busses from Bangkok to Mukdahan and there will be more and more, now that the bridge to Laos is open. Bo Kor Sor operates one bus every hour and there are private companies (VIP 999) too, go to Morchit to have the information (second floor). You will need 10 to 11 hours to arrive in Muk.
Anyway your friend should know everything about bus schedules (except if he came directly from Isan to Pattaya).

December 27th, 2006, 03:39
I would think your bf would have the info you need to get you there. The getting there will not be the expensive part, it will be the after you get there that could get expensive. You will be expected to pay for a party and gifts for the family. Any outings you would take with the bf would also include his family and friends and there again it could add up some. Would you be staying with him in his village or is there a town with hotel near by?

December 27th, 2006, 03:54
You can use a bus from airport. For this you just walk to the way out and simply follow the sign leasing you to shuttles busses for the transportation centre. From there you can use the comfortable new yellow bus no 821 heading for Nong Khai and leave at Nakhon Ratchasima (Khorat) a least twice daily (mornings 06.00 h, evenings 22.00 h) and change for the next bus to Mukdahan. From Khorat to Mukdahan you can catch a bus at every hour. This is the most easy option.

You can take a comfortable VIP bus from Pattaya bus terminal twice daily direct to Mukdahan. I love this very scenic route with great sweeping views. The tour is fairly comfortable; no motorway till Khorat, where you stop for a break. It costs you about 600 TBT per person including some refreshments and a hot meal.

From Bangkok North-Eastern bus terminal Mor Chit 2 you can take a bus about every hour more or less around the clock via Udon Ratchathani direct to Mukdahan. Additionally there are busses to Ubon Ratchathani from where you always have a connection to Mukdahan. The ticket is available for around 550 TBT and will also include some refreshments and one meal. The journey is a bit boring with e very view exceptions ad takes about 7 hrs.

I would strongly recommend a blue VIP bus with a low number of eats (36 or 40). There are sleepers available 24 seats are the best, but also costly) which are OK from Bangkok.

The bus terminal in Mukdahan is about 5 km out of the town centre. It will costs you about 40 TBT.

From Bangkok Hualapong Railway station you can use train for Ubon Ratchathani. I would not recommend a slow train but tickets for sprinters and sleeper are often sold out one day before. You should use the train service at least once. It is also a very scenic tour but slow. I personally do prefer the use of sleeper fan low berth which costs as nearly as much as a bus ticket. But there is always a specific fun factor going with it. I usually never sleep alone…

Mukdahan is a small busy place. At right side of the bridge the monkey Wat is popular at day and night. The night food bazaar opp. The Ploy Palace Hotel is a fruitful hunting ground. You should not miss a trip to the TV tower before 10 o’clock. After the dust will take some of the splendid views into both, Laos and Thailand. Don’t worry, there is a lift. You don’ need to climb up all the stairs.

You will love the locals.

kodiak
December 27th, 2006, 23:53
Thanks to all for the great info.......Yes my BF can give me info also....but he will of course suggest only to fly....and i wanted to know the options myself...beforehand This info is great...!! Im only going to be in Thailand for two weeks ...and not sure about spending too much time travelling to Mukdahan and back.......but i think BF will really be dissappointed if i say no....and will actually give me a better perspective of his situation there.....and maybe i will become more understanding when he gets lonely.....or just completely bored.....as i know happens to him often..? He is not a bar boy.....and is only 18 years old.....I met him just last year in Pattya....His sister lives in Chon Buri....he likes to dance and listemn to music......I send him money every month.....in hopes he will not fall into the BKK trap and feelance for money etc.......but im not sure if i am just enabling him to do just that...? I just bought him a far too expensive phone Samsung X820 for 10,000 baht ...but he can download music on it...and keeps him a little bit busy ........... I told him i would not play the phone game with him....so if it gets lost or stolen or broken...or taken to shop needing money...i would not be getting another for him....He kept his last phone for almost 3 years....so we will see...? Not exactly sure of his living situation.....i talk with him on video cam...anat his house sometimes...and looks to ge like regular house with several bedrooms....? But he says when i come better to stay in local hotel....so i will take his advise on that..!! I know he goes with his mom somtimes for work....I beleive in rice fields or something like that....so I really dont know what to expect....?

Thanks for all the great info...

kodiak
December 27th, 2006, 23:54
Thanks to all for the great info.......Yes my BF can give me info also....but he will of course suggest only to fly....and i wanted to know the options myself...beforehand This info is great...!! I'm only going to be in Thailand for two weeks ...and not sure about spending too much time travel ling to McLuhan and back.......but i think BF will really be disappointed if i say no....and will actually give me a better perspective of his situation there.....and maybe i will become more understanding when he gets lonely.....or just completely bored.....as i know happens to him often..? He is not a bar boy.....and is only 18 years old.....I met him just last year in Patty....His sister lives in Ch on Bur....he likes to dance and listen to music......I send him money every month.....in hopes he will not fall into the BK trap and fee lance for money etc.......but I'm not sure if i am just enabling him to do just that...? I just bought him a far too expensive phone Sam sung X820 for 10,000 baht ...but he can download music on it...and keeps him a little bit busy ........... I told him i would not play the phone game with him....so if it gets lost or stolen or broken...or taken to shop needing money...i would not be getting another for him....He kept his last phone for almost 3 years....so we will see...? Not exactly sure of his living situation.....i talk with him on video cam...an at his house sometimes...and looks to GE like regular house with several bedrooms....? But he says when i come better to stay in local hotel....so i will take his advise on that..!! I know he goes with his mom sometimes for work....I believe in rice fields or something like that....so I really dint know what to expect....?

Thanks for all the great info...

neddy3
December 28th, 2006, 04:59
Though the question is from BKK:

If it suits your purpose, there is even a bus to Mukdahan from Pattaya.

It leaves from the same Pattaya terminal as the buses between BKK and Pattaya.

I believe there are 1 or 2 buses per day to Mukdahan. Buses look modern and comfortable.

Smiles
December 28th, 2006, 09:59
" ... and not sure about spending too much time travel ling to McLuhan and back ... "
Not sure if the Thais follow the obtusities (sp?) of Mr Marshal Mcluhan (actually, I don't think anyone does any more ... including Canadians, of which he is one), but if you are pronouncing "Mukdahan" as "McLuhan" on a regular basis then I suggest you'd best speak (by PM) to Khun Colmx, who will be able to give you the skinny on the Thai appreciation of all things Irish. Otherwise, your boyfriend will not be impressed . . . and neither will The Family (after the 5th bottle of Black Label ... that you have bought).

Cheers ...

kodiak
December 28th, 2006, 10:44
Actually smiles it was the spell check that changed mukdahan to mucluhan....but i was afraid to change anything more....my other replys were sent to hell.......like many others...so i let it be Funny......

December 28th, 2006, 15:29
Mukdahan doesn't have a airport. And flying from/to any other airport nearby would cost you a lot of money andeven more time.

If you are into the fastest option, you might need to take a taxi from BKK airpirt to Mukdahan; which will costs you around 4500 to 5000 TBT per trip. Be careful do not trusts any touts hanging around the airport. Just contact the official tax counter.

for the same amount but not very much less your boyfriend might be able to find someone within his family to be able to pick you.

Good luck ..

kodiak
December 28th, 2006, 20:54
NOk air shows BKK to Udon Thani for only 2100 baht each round trip.....if im looking at that correctly.....i couldnt beleive it when i saw it.........but it appears to be correct

so BF was right when he says to just fly...and then take take taxi Udon Thani to Mukdahan...?

Smiles
December 28th, 2006, 21:27
That'll work ... NOK AIR is a fine little airline.
Taxi will work also, but Mukdahan is by no means just-around-the-corner. Bus would be far cheaper, but up to you.

Have a good trip & cheers ....

sjaak327
December 29th, 2006, 00:01
Judgin from the map, the closest airport is Sakhon Nakhon, now PB air flies this route, if time is of the essence I would give it a go, great little airline by the way (I have flown with them from Nakhon Phanom).

pbair (http://www.pbair.com)