PDA

View Full Version : renting a car. Do's and Do nots advice please

December 20th, 2006, 12:25
i will be back in LOS in few days. am frequent visitor but have never rented a car. sometime i am planning to do this time round. can you give me and advice, re insurance, rough costs and whether i should use credit cards. thanks. neo

TrongpaiExpat
December 20th, 2006, 12:39
Where in LOS?

I use Budget every now and then. www.budget.co.th/ (http://www.budget.co.th/)

I am pretty sure that you need to use a credit card at most places.

Get an international DL, but I have rented many times with out one and a
good copy of your passport.

I have found out that you don't ask is the hotel desk or the hotel tour travel desk where to rent a car. They have on several occasions told me they they can arrange a rental and then latter hit me with the "no have" but do have a private tour. Your better off asking a tuk-tuk driver where the rental car places are located.

In Chiang Mai I noticed a lot of small places with big signs saying RENTAL CARS. Then when you ask it's another "no have" but have tour.

December 20th, 2006, 16:58
"Be cocky and funny", they say. How? - I keep asking ... blah, blah, blah ... For more FREE information you are welcome to visit a continuously updated blog at....Am I the only one stuck with shyness out there?

I think I've just been out-dingbatted!

December 21st, 2006, 04:49
i will be back in LOS in few days. am frequent visitor but have never rented a car. sometime i am planning to do this time round. can you give me and advice, re insurance, rough costs and whether i should use credit cards. thanks. neo

I would not recommend rent a car by any means.

I you stay in Bangkok, it is less hassle using taxi. And it is less expensive too. You do not need to worry about Thai road signs or parking space or any damages. If you need a taxi for a whole day or more, you might find a taxi driver who will be happy to drive you around for about 1 000 to 1 200 TBT per day.

If you like going somewhere also, they will be happy to drive you. For a comfortable taxi ride from Bangkok to Udon Thani – about 650 km – I usually pay less than 4 500 TBT per day, including petrol, food etc.

Petrol is expensive (by Thai standards). If you use a car for several days without long distances, you can arrange a price per day and pay by yourself for petrol or gas

Look out for take with a sticker attached “red heart and I Love Farang”, there are more than hassle free. Keep phone number of good taxi and call them if you need extensive rides or services just one or two days before. For me they always turned up on time.

If you are heading for Pattaya, I can recommend

Gems & Phon Taxi & Van
62/121 Moo 6, Pattaya Phone: (+66) 3873 4472, Fax: (+66) 3873 4472
Mobiles: (+66) 81761 6455, (+66) 81305 5613 or email: gemsphon@loxinfo.co.th

It’s a very reliable and moderately priced gay taxi service. The cars are all well serviced and comfortable. You can arrange airport pick-up and they will driver you everywhere you like.

I travel a lot but prefer bus or train. Even I do know Thailand quite well but if I can I try to avoid any self driving.

Since many years Thailand and Iran are having the worst traffic accidents rate topping any international statistic. They do have there very own traffic rules which are sometime very obscure.

And I love looking around. With someone else in front driving, it is much more convenient.

dave_tf-old
December 21st, 2006, 11:30
Since you didn't indicate whether you would be driving this rental, I'll echo Ttom's concerns.

My experience is limited to one rental in Khon Kaen (in the Northeast) which we kept for about 4 days. The rental office may have been affiliated with Budget or similar, but may not have been either. I didn't make the arrangements. All I had to produce was my DL and a photocopy of my passport, as well as put down a about 4000 baht (as I recall) as a security deposit.

One of my companions was the driver...he was from the area and knew very well how to get around. To be honest, even in a small city like Kohn Kaen I would have been terrified to drive. Perhaps if I didn't live in the US and drive on the other side of the road, I might have been more comfortable. This from a guy who's put 500,000 miles on vehicles in the last 13 years...I tell you that just so you know I am not afraid to drive...just afraid to drive in traffic in Thailand.

I did get behind the wheel once we were out of town and on the rural highways. It was a pleasure, but even then I had an able navigator. It went without major incident (we almost die only two time!), but was enough to convince me I had the right idea about not trying in in traffic.

If you are friendly with somebody who is able to drive you, I think having a car (outside of Bangkok) is a decent investment. Best I recall (and this was about three years ago) the rental was about 1000 baht a day--give or take 500. LOL.

If you are planning to drive yourself...more power to you.

TrongpaiExpat
December 21st, 2006, 13:26
It was a pleasure, but even then I had an able navigator.

Me at the wheel and the BF holding the map. The last trip:
It went something like this:

--left or right?
map not say, up to you
--Should I go straight?
not sure
--What's that sign say?
nothing
--Is this the right way acording to the map?
map not look same road, stop over there and I ask man.

After an exchange of a few hundred words he gets back in the car and tells me that we are lost.

--Man tell you that?
not ask, he not from here.

December 21st, 2006, 14:56
You need either an international or a Thai driving licence.

The care rental will neither check your licence nor inform you regarding any regulations. This is entirely up to you.

If something went wring, you need to pay for. And as a foreigner driving around, according to common Thai logic, you must be rich – and therefore able to pay.

Be aware that insurances in Thailand are neither up to western standards nor paid for !

Boxer
December 21st, 2006, 17:05
As a visitor go for Avis or Hertz or Budget pay by credit card and deposit on card too. About 1500 baht a day on ave. Have current home licence AND International with you if no Thai licence. Do NOT leave Passports or licences with Companies only copies. Insurance is on the car Check it is there in date too, not driver so you are covered for most things as long as you hold the licence as above, but little if any on what we call Third Party Claims. YOU hit someone and you pay all costs. Very little chance of saying it is their fault as you are falang and YOU were there so YOU pay, most times. Check also that car has current licences displayed as if Police stop you its 1500 baht for not displaying in date licence. Dont be afraid to ask agent to explain so you know. If going upcountry driving is easy but allow plenty of time to get anywhere. Fill up Petrol when in towns. Forget it if you wanna drive in Bangkok, Pattaya or other big towns, dangerous hard work little parking and signs impossible so enjoy! Remember you can hire a car and driver for very little on a day or three rate to go anywhere you want without the hassle. UP to you! Boxer car and motorbike driver.

TrongpaiExpat
December 21st, 2006, 23:45
YOU hit someone and you pay all costs. Very little chance of saying it is their fault as you are falang and YOU were there so YOU pay, most times.

I have been hearing this warning in various forms from farangs ever since I first traveled to Thailand in the mid 80's.

Has anyone had personal experience, or personally knows a person who was involved in an accident that was NOT his fault but had to Pay some injured Thai person because he is farang?

December 22nd, 2006, 02:48
YOU hit someone and you pay all costs. Very little chance of saying it is their fault as you are falang and YOU were there so YOU pay, most times.

I do know several people who did face problems. I learned some bad lessons that way too, and did pay. A foreigner never understands Thai customs and functional Thailand in detail - according to Thai logic; everything must therefore a foreign persons fault.

A foreigner usually/naturally is in a supreme position - and will be held responsible even his driver is doing something very stupid. A well off or “older” Thai person would take his responsibility automatically without any doubt. If not, the police, all people around will teach some lessons.

This has nothing to do with being wrong or right, within or without the law. Do never compare any situation in Thailand with any similar an experience somewhere else.

And Thailand is different, with a fine tuned class system: There are foreigners, there are foreigners working even legally in Thailand, there are Thai with experience with foreigners or have lives abroad, there are local people, there are Thai people from different regions. There are older, younger, famous and who else.

The Thai logic is even driving me crazy sometimes – and believe me, it takes a lot to alter my adrenaline level. I don’t fear anything anywhere, but I am always on alert and try to avoid unnecessary discussions as much as possible.

Therefore I never drive by myself in Bangkok, Nakhon Sawan, Pattaya, Phuket or Southern of Surat Thani. And something else in mind: On road, “hit and run” is normal!

Since 1999 my Thai driving licence is perfectly OK.

I love amazing Thailand.

December 22nd, 2006, 08:23
On the same topic, has anyone found a good, relatively honest car hire company in Phuket?

Brad the Impala
December 22nd, 2006, 10:17
All the major rental companies have offices in Phuket, but I have been using Nine Car Rent. They are a smaller local company who have provided a good service at a good rate. http://www.ninecarrent.com/ (http://http://www.ninecarrent.com/)

I think the don't drive advocates are over cooking the negatives. I have driven all over the south for years without a problem.

December 22nd, 2006, 10:45
Why hasn't Botting chimed in here?

dave_tf-old
December 22nd, 2006, 11:44
Brad...if I was spending lots of time in Thailand outside of Bangkok and Pattaya (and probably Chiang Mai and Phuket as well) I'd definately want my own wheels. I'm all about freedom on holiday and really hate planning everything with military precision. But I'd also have to take things slowly and work my way up to cross-country travel. That would be something of an adventure in itself, but hardly something I'd want to tackle over a few days. The thought of a month in KK without being able to get out on my own is a bit depressing.

In the tourist areas? Why bother? Even if I lived in Bangkok, I wouldn't want a car. Every 10th vehicle is a taxi. Light rail and buses are cheap. Drivers are cheap. And with a Taxi, you get 'close enough' in the middle of a traffic jam, you just get out, pay, and walk the rest rather than worrying about crawling that extra 50 meters and finding a place to park. That's all the freedom ya need.

TrongpaiExpat
December 22nd, 2006, 13:33
Brad that link did not work. This might: phuketdir.com/ninecarrent/index.htm (http://phuketdir.com/ninecarrent/index.htm)

and then go to the home page from that link.

It's only in Phuket?

Brad the Impala
December 22nd, 2006, 14:54
Trongpai, thanks for the updated link. Strange the original one worked earlier today. Yes, they only operate in Phuket, and are local people. Anything much over two weeks it's worth checking the price for a month. Currently paying 20,000 Baht for a month for a three year old Honda Civic. They respond quickly to emails.

I very much enjoyed your exchange with your navigator. I have been blessed with a Navigator with a much better sense of direction than I.

Dave, I certainly agree that I wouldn't want to drive in Bangkok, nor in Pattaya, except in the unlikely event of being there for more than a few days.

December 23rd, 2006, 15:01
DELETED

December 26th, 2006, 18:01
If you are renting longterm; one month or more, then don't pay more than 17,000 baht per month. The car agencies owned by foreigners will most likely try to charge you much more and claim that it is much safer. This just is not true. You usually get the same type of car and the same insurance coverage (and sometimes better) from a Thai owned business. This has been my experience. Also, if you are willing to look a little bit outside of Pattaya, you may well find an even cheaper price!

Good luck!

TR The Rose :drunken:

December 29th, 2006, 09:31
DELETED

paulg
December 30th, 2006, 04:36
TTOM- "I try to avoid unnecessary discussions as much as possible."

Then are you making up for it on this board?,spewing your dulcite whining tones for all us to hear.You have done nothing bloody post on here motor mouth.

Thanks ttom for your input. I am considering doing a trip north and northwest in april/may with a thai friend.

He does not have a drivers licence and somehow I am getting more interested in hiring a car with driver and sitting back and relaxing

Trongpai my wife was like that when we first got married, and then got worse.

TrongpaiExpat
December 30th, 2006, 17:12
Rose you are wrong about farang owned rental companies. To make a sweeping statement like that is misleading. There are good and bad with both farang and Thai companies. Most of these roadside rentals, or car parks of nightclubs, will be expensive and usual do not have the correct insurance. Most places with offices will be ligitimate rental companies and have correct insurances. I am interested to know why you consider yourself an expert on Thai insurance policies?

Off hand, I would say because you gave his cheeseburger a credible bad review.

How does one tell if there is the correct insurance?

lonelywombat
December 30th, 2006, 18:04
Rose you are wrong about farang owned rental companies. To make a sweeping statement like that is misleading. There are good and bad with both farang and Thai companies. Most of these roadside rentals, or car parks of nightclubs, will be expensive and usual do not have the correct insurance. Most places with offices will be ligitimate rental companies and have correct insurances. I am interested to know why you consider yourself an expert on Thai insurance policies?

Off hand, I would say because you gave his cheeseburger a credible bad review.

How does one tell if there is the correct insurance?

When people ask me why I dont move to Pattaya full time, I cannot help but think of all the sarcastic lonely shits that get their rocks off by abusing places and people in this and other forums

What does cheeseburger have to do with car rental. Nothing unless you are bitchy viscous queen with a hatred of everyone and everything in LOS

Get a life Trongpai

December 30th, 2006, 21:10
TTOM- "I try to avoid unnecessary discussions as much as possible."

Then are you making up for it on this board?,spewing your dulcite whining tones for all us to hear.You have done nothing bloody post on here motor mouth.

Thanks ttom for your input. I am considering doing a trip north and northwest in april/may with a thai friend.

He does not have a drivers licence and somehow I am getting more interested in hiring a car with driver and sitting back and relaxing

Trongpai my wife was like that when we first got married, and then got worse.

April and May are usually still two good month for travelling both the Isaan region and Lanna country. During this time, farm work all over Thailand will be in full swing. And with the slowdown of tourists, you might pay a lot less for rental and driver.

A very good option is getting someone with a van. The extra space makes it more comfortable and higher seating provides better views. With lower seating, the view from cars is very different and after a while it is getting rather boring.

If you need some more specific information’s, please send me a message.

This is the main reason for me using busses as much as possible. Even small places in Thailand are well connected. And there is always additional local transportation available.

And I travel light due to the fact that nearly everywhere laundry can be done overnight for a very low price or even for my not small frame I can add some clean clothing if needed.

All together travelling by bus or sometimes train turns out well in both ways, economically and practically.

December 31st, 2006, 20:19
Have a look at the recent statistics.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/31Dec2006_news09.php

Around Sonkran the number of casulties is even worse.
Do not expect the listing of any accident.
Regarding self driving inThailand think twice at least !

January 1st, 2007, 20:24
As a visitor go for Avis or Hertz or Budget pay by credit card and deposit on card too. About 1500 baht a day on ave. Have current home licence AND International with you if no Thai licence. Do NOT leave Passports or licences with Companies only copies. Insurance is on the car Check it is there in date too, not driver so you are covered for most things as long as you hold the licence as above, but little if any on what we call Third Party Claims. YOU hit someone and you pay all costs. Very little chance of saying it is their fault as you are falang and YOU were there so YOU pay, most times. Check also that car has current licences displayed as if Police stop you its 1500 baht for not displaying in date licence. Dont be afraid to ask agent to explain so you know. If going upcountry driving is easy but allow plenty of time to get anywhere. Fill up Petrol when in towns. Forget it if you wanna drive in Bangkok, Pattaya or other big towns, dangerous hard work little parking and signs impossible so enjoy! Remember you can hire a car and driver for very little on a day or three rate to go anywhere you want without the hassle. UP to you! Boxer car and motorbike driver.

Yes, very good advice indeed.

In addition there is also SIXT International in Thailand which’s a good one I’ve been using occasionally. They have stations in Bangkok and at the airport.
Another one:

If you are resident in a country belonging to the European Union, you should book though an agency in your home country, (any travel agent or maybe an automobile club should be able to handle this too) and buy there also all necessary insurances. With you booking you will get either a booklet with vouchers or simply a booking code. It works similar to hotel bookings. You can limit your deposit that way too and down do nearly nothing according to the rental company policy.

In case you are getting into trouble, your local travel agent or car rental agency is your contract partner which is held responsible. This is according to EC consumer law. Therefore it’s less trouble while dealing with them instead with a local agency in Thailand. I book this way even while travelling in Thailand and it always worked out nicely for me.

International car rentals do operate new vehicles (under warranty) and following strict maintenance and repair guidelines while the independent local ones are following more likely the mixtures of commonsense but primarily there own wallet. …..

January 1st, 2007, 20:24

Yes, very good advice indeed.

In addition there is also SIXT International in Thailand which’s a good one I’ve been using occasionally. They have stations in Bangkok and at the airport.
Another one:

If you are resident in a country belonging to the European Union, you should book though an agency in your home country, (any travel agent or maybe an automobile club should be able to handle this too) and buy there also all necessary insurances. With you booking you will get either a booklet with vouchers or simply a booking code. It works similar to hotel bookings. You can limit your deposit that way too and down do nearly nothing according to the rental company policy.

In case you are getting into trouble, your local travel agent or car rental agency is your contract partner which is held responsible. This is according to EC consumer law. Therefore it’s less trouble while dealing with them instead with a local agency in Thailand. I book this way even while travelling in Thailand and it always worked out nicely for me.

International car rentals do operate new vehicles (under warranty) and following strict maintenance and repair guidelines while the independent local ones are following more likely the mixtures of commonsense but primarily there own wallet. …..

January 2nd, 2007, 10:42
DELETED