PDA

View Full Version : Expiry of sim card

December 18th, 2006, 23:17
my 123 Freedom AIS sim card expires end of January, does anyone know how long they keep them connected for, I arrive in mid feb and wondered if it will still be connected, or is it continuous?

2lz2p
December 19th, 2006, 05:38
I'm not real sure, but have often been told that you have at least 30 days from the expiration date to add money to the phone and continue to use the number.

If by chance, you have a friend living in Thailand that does internet banking (I use Bangkok bank), they can add money to any AIS 1-2-call -mumber - To set up, they need to go to bill pay and set up a new account by selecting AIS and entering the telephone number as the first reference number. Once set up, go to bill pay - the first number set up will show as AIS12C in the vendor list -- a subsequent number would show as AIS12C(1). Select the one for the number you wish add funds, the next screen will show the number and has another section showing the packages available (300, 500, etc. baht). Select the amount you want to add and submit. Another screen will ask for confirmation. Once you confirem the additional money and extended time period are immediately added to the number by AIS.

Enjoy your upcoming trip. :colors:

December 19th, 2006, 06:31
If I have 30 days, which I suspect is probably right (unless someone can confirm), I will be alright. The Bank thing is ok, but will skip that one. I might see if a friend can buy me a card, and tell me the pin numbers over an email, that is one option. If I cant get a friend I might ask someone on here to do that and we meet up in Pattaya and I give them the 300 bht - can an englishman be trusted for 300bht one may ask!!

December 26th, 2006, 06:17
if you are just adding more time to your current AIS 1-2-3, I bought additional time from a Pattaya mobile store last week and was told the smallest option was a 90 bht card which should hold you over till you get back to Thailand.

December 27th, 2006, 08:36
... Mr Bill ... 90 bht will only last the most 2 weeks. Ive been out of Thailand for a few months, so that option is no good. Besides, I cannot buy it can I, as Im in the UK. Anyway, Im working on it at the moment, hopefully someone will get me a card.

Dick
December 27th, 2006, 10:09
White Desire:
I might see if a friend can buy me a card, and tell me the pin numbers over an email, that is one option.
WD. I doubt very much if your Thai sim card will work i.e find it's network, here in the UK. My DTAC Happy doesn't. So I don't think you would be able to top up your sim with the code from a top up that a friend in Thailand might by for you.

Brad the Impala
December 27th, 2006, 12:00
I see it as being only mildly inconvenient if you lose your original Thai Mobile number.

Copy all your contacts from the Sim card to the handset, and on return simply send one text, copied to all contacts, with the new mobile number.

2lz2p
December 28th, 2006, 09:45
White Desire:

I sent you a private message to email me if you would like for me to add funds to your existing number.

sjaak327
December 29th, 2006, 00:04
White Desire:
I might see if a friend can buy me a card, and tell me the pin numbers over an email, that is one option.
WD. I doubt very much if your Thai sim card will work i.e find it's network, here in the UK. My DTAC Happy doesn't. So I don't think you would be able to top up your sim with the code from a top up that a friend in Thailand might by for you.

Apparantly AIS is working in the UK, I'm sure AIS is working in the Netherlands, my sim works to the point that I can receive text messages and calls, but I cannot call out, I'm also able to check my balance, so I'm assume topup is possible too.

December 29th, 2006, 03:10
yep, they are working, i.e. you can get a line on your mobile, but not sure if you cannot purchase online, as the web site always seems conjested whichever computer Im on.

February 22nd, 2007, 07:52
I topped my phone up recently with 300 bht and got an expiry date of February 2008, normally its only a month and you keep having to top up. Strange.

alittlebi-old
February 22nd, 2007, 08:34
Apparantly AIS is working in the UK, I'm sure AIS is working in the Netherlands, my sim works to the point that I can receive text messages and calls, but I cannot call out, I'm also able to check my balance, so I'm assume topup is possible too.

MAKE CALLS: VERY EXPENSIVE
As of May, 2003, AIS (one 2 call) had implemented a new program called freedom planet. This allows you to use your Thai Sim and make calls from other countries. Previous receiving calls was no problem -- but now you can make calls as well.

The instructions that were sent to me via AIS were:

*131*(Country Code)(Area Code)(Number)# then send or yes.

TOP UP - IF YOU ALREADY HAVE CARD:
Enter * 120 * Pin 13 digit from card -- then # and send/yes.

If accepted, you will receive a Short message service message on your screen informing you of the amount of your new credit and the new expiration date of your account.

alittlebi-old
February 22nd, 2007, 08:49
(I use Bangkok bank), they can add money to any AIS 1-2-call -mumber - To set up, they need to go to bill pay and set up a new account .....

Thank you for this!! I have always used Bangkokbank internet banking (for years now) and NEVER knew about this trick!

I sent a load tonight and it was received within 60-seconds. Outstanding.

BTW - the most you can extend your expiration date is one year from the date of recharge.

February 22nd, 2007, 14:29
You can buy some more time at any corner shop in Thailand.

All you need is setting your mobile for inernational rooming which covers more than half og the globe. You can check balance and valitidy of you card from everywhere for free. If you notice the the card's validity is nearly empty, you can use the refill and add some more time to your account.

Not all refills qualify for extensions. You should add 300 or 500 TBT. They will tell you more at the shop where you`re buying some more time.

February 25th, 2007, 18:33
I topped my phone up recently with 300 bht and got an expiry date of February 2008, normally its only a month and you keep having to top up. Strange.

New promotion that gives you a one year expiry date from when you top up. May have to call 1,2 Go in order to take advantage of this. Promotion runs through June 2007.

February 26th, 2007, 02:27
I don't understand why worry about exipiry of sim card....sim cards are cheap, 12call costs 500, Happy costs 200, just buy a new one if the old card expired...not a big deal.
And if you are tourist, chances are you will meet new people every time you visit LOS, and only keep in touch with very few thais. So what's the problem here.