PDA

View Full Version : Review of Pattaya Go-go bars

December 18th, 2006, 05:09
I am posting the following information for the benefit of infrequent visitors and those who will soon visit Pattaya. It may also be useful to someone who will not stay long enough to visit all of the 32 go-go bars in Pattaya.

Readers should understand that in some cases bar ownership, staff and practices change frequently and my information may become outdated. This information was gathered over a two-month period between mid October and mid December of this year. I have tried to avoid personal preferences and describe conditions based on the broader observations as seen by many of my "farang" friends over the past 10 years. However, readers should recognize that, for example, the term "lady-boy" will not always mean the same thing to everyone. With that in mind I will start with my definitions.

Katoey: These people were born male but as a result of hormone treatments, breasts implants and genital surgery they now live as females. They are usually seen as performers in cabaret shows and they do not work as dancers in go-go bars.

Lady-boys: Lady-boys are males who have a strong preference for female traits. Their dress, speach, an d actions are those of the female gender although there is a wide range of variation. Some appear only slightly feminine while dancing go-go but when they are seen on the street their actions and dress reveal their gender preference. Others may take medication to promote breast development and their posturing and movements while dancing clearly indicate that they are lady-boys. Sopme lady boys can serve as either tops or bottoms but most are strictly bottoms.

Muscle boys: This term is used to refer to those individuals who have spent a lot of time in the gym and does not apply to someone who simply worked on a farm to develop his body.

Heavy boys: This term indicates that a boy is paunchy or plump by European or American standards.

Pushy staff: If waiters or mamasans question me twice in quick succession about my need for another drink or "which boy do you want"? then I consider them pushy.

Additional explinations that will help the reader understand my descriptions of the bars.

Number of boys: My numbers are only a rough estimate. On any given evening some boys may simply not come to work or they may come in later than my visit. Some may have already been taken off by a farang. Freelance boys who are not paid a salary by the bar but may come and dance when they wish may also contribute to the numbers. Also the mamasans like to overestimate the numbers of dancers when asked how many boys dance for the bar.

Size of Bar: Much of the older architecture in Thailand has been done with a column/wall spacing about 12' (4 meters) wide. When I refer to a single bay bar it means that the bar is only about 12 feet wide. When I refer to a "large" bar it means that the bar is at least 2 bays wide or greater then 24 feet wide.

Appearance of boys: I ahve not attempted to indicate the attractiveness of the dancers other than to state the approximate number of lady-boys and muscle boys. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Costume: "Briefs" indicate bikini type with no fly. UW means standard jockey type with a fly. Boxers indicates some upper thigh coverage.

Animation: In some clubs the dancers simply stand and make no attempt to "dance'. I call this "S & M"-----meaning stand and model. If the dancers move to the music and smile at the farangs and sometimes attempt to talk or joke with them then I consider them animated.

I did not attempt to consistently indicate the ventilation because this condition can change drastically from early evening when there are few customers to later on when the bar may have a show and be full of customers. I have only indicated a few bars that are always stuffy.

Drink prices and "off" fees vary slightly but I have not listed them individually because I assume that the primary purpose of visiting thest bars is for the boys and that a rational person would not avoid a particular bar only to save 20 or 40 baht or the equivalent of one American dollar. That said, a mixed drink (gin/tonic or whisky/coke etc) is usually 120 baht in most go-go bars. However, if the bar has a show (cabaret etc) then you should expect to pay 150 baht at all times for all drinks. "Off" fees vary from 200 baht in some of the less commonly frequented bars to 300 baht in some Boyz Town bars.

There are 15 go-go bars in the Boyz Town area and 15 more in the Sunee Plaza area. Jomtien Complex has one and there is one more in Day Night. See maps at pattayagay.com.

Jomtien Complex

Name: Over the Rainbow
Locaton: Jomtien Complex
Size: Large
Bar interior: Very Good
Lighting: Excellent
Music: Good---tends to be loud
Number of dancers: 6-10
Age of dancers; 18-25
Appearance; No lady-boys, --well built---only 1 slim
Costume: form fitting white boxer shorts
Animation: Good dancing-----limited contact with farangs
Seating: Couches at wall and tables and chairs near stage
Toilet: Very clean
Show: Cabaret type, very good performers who sometimes perform in Bangkok and at Boyz Boyz Boyz in Boyz town. Excellent lip sync and music and some comedy.
Staff: Not pushy but responsive.

Day and Night

Name: Red Dragon
Size: Single bay
Interior: Nicely decorated and well maintained
Lighting: Very good
Seating: Comfortable upholstered bench type. Spacious
Music: Good---Not excessively loud
# of dancers: 12-15
Age of dancers: 18 up
Appearance: 2-3 lady-boys and 1 heavy
Costume: Bikini briefs
Animation: Most dancers good---Some stand and model
Toilet: Very good
Show: None
Staff: Responsive and not pushy

catawampuscat
December 18th, 2006, 12:10
Quite an undertaking and so far well thought out.. so many are subjective in their opionions and your start seems objective..

also educational, I had been told that "go go" was not allowed in Jomtien but since Over the Rainbow has go go , I stand corrected..
I had recently commented on one poster's report of Jomtien that "go go" was a no no and hope he reads this and understands
my error.. I think it was Jinks ..

December 18th, 2006, 14:09
Go-go bars are not allowed in Jomtien by the City Council. Host bars are allowed. They wish to keep Jomtien a more select area than Pattaya. Maybe they were bribed by the baht bus drivers as so many Jomtien residents and visitors hop to and fro Pattaya for the vibrant nightlife.

December 18th, 2006, 14:23
Go-go bars are not allowed in Jomtien by the City Council. Host bars are allowed. They wish to keep Jomtien a more select area than Pattaya. Maybe they were bribed by the baht bus drivers as so many Jomtien residents and visitors hop to and fro Pattaya for the vibrant nightlife.

I was led to understand that the ban on go-go bars in Jomtien was all part of the zoning regulations imposed when Fuhrer Purachai started his social order clean-up campaign a couple of years ago.

December 18th, 2006, 18:39
What kind of zoning regulations exist in Pattaya in general, and Thailand in general? I believed from observations that there WERE no zoning rules in the entire country. What kind of permission allows go-go bars in one area of town, but not another?

I'd be delighted to learn there ARE zoning laws, even if they are almost minor ones, because it could foreshadow more western-type zoning in the future. (Said like the true Pollyanna I can be at times.)