PDA

View Full Version : Yet another honest Thai taxidriver

December 10th, 2006, 09:30
Honest Taxi Driver returns bag containing over 200,000 Baht to Norwegian Tourist with the help of the Tourist Police.

A nice story now from the Tourist Police Station located half-way up the Pratamnuk Mountain. Police Captain Wattana oversaw this case which begun with a visit to the station by Khun Soopat, a taxi driver who had picked up a Foreign man from the Suvanabumi Airport in Bangkok and brought him down to a Hotel on Walking Street, South Pattaya. Mr. Per Kristian Rustan aged 52 from Norway left the Taxi and all appeared normal as Khun Soopat returned to Bangkok. He soon realized that a small bag had been left behind by the Norwegian and inside was 900 US Dollars, 70 EuroтАЩs, 100 Pounds Sterling and 200 Norwegian Krona. Khun Soopat made his way back to the Hotel but could not locate Mr. Rustan so he made his way to the Tourist Police Station where Police assisted him in locating Mr. Rustan who was reunited with his bag and its contents at the Tourist Police Station. As a token of his appreciation, Mr. Rustan offered Khun Sopat 200 US Dollars which was gratefully received.

Pattaya City News

Reward 3.6%!! Is that enough?

December 10th, 2006, 09:43
Dont know what conversion rates they used - but that doesnt add up to 200,000 baht! Nowhere near!

Jetsam
December 10th, 2006, 14:03
Dont know what conversion rates they used - but that doesnt add up to 200,000 baht! Nowhere near!

Indeed , it's 43.613,54 baht, so a reward rate of 16.39 %

December 10th, 2006, 18:19
Regardless of the exchange rate and the reward percentage it is nice to see:

1) There is at least one honest taxi driver about. Rumour has it that another one was found recently in Bangkok - maybe it was the same guy !

2) The Norwegian had the conscience and decency to reward the taxi driver with a resonable sum for his honesty.

December 11th, 2006, 12:53
Regardless of the exchange rate and the reward percentage it is nice to see:

1) There is at least one honest taxi driver about. Rumour has it that another one was found recently in Bangkok - maybe it was the same guy !

2) The Norwegian had the conscience and decency to reward the taxi driver with a resonable sum for his honesty.

Forget about finding an honest one (actually, rarely had a problem with dishonest taxi drivers), I recently had one that could actually speak fluent English!

December 12th, 2006, 22:58
I recently left my wallet in the taxi, the wallet contains my contact info (thai mobile number), two credit cards, 160 HK dollars, 800 US Dollars. Two days later, I got a phone called from the Taxi call center. Then I went and got my wallet back, everything is intact, but USD 800 is missing. Where is the honest taxi driver when I need one?
I mentioned this story to a few thai friends, they all said this is normal, nobody would expect the driver to return the money.

(I know I was stupid to carry around so much cash, I was fresh out of the airport then....will not do it again)

TrongpaiExpat
December 13th, 2006, 00:14
The next passenger might have found it in the back seat, took out the money and left the rest. Then another passenger finds it and gives it to the driver.

December 13th, 2006, 01:05
The next passenger might have found it in the back seat, took out the money and left the rest. Then another passenger finds it and gives it to the driver.

So let me re-phrase my post: Where is the honest Thai person when I need one?

:bounce:

December 13th, 2006, 01:58
Scott:
My maxim is never to trust;
Tarts
Taxi Drivers
Tuk Tuk Drivers
Trannies
Thanksin
Touts
Thais....
Well... you get the idea!!!
G

December 13th, 2006, 03:36

So let me re-phrase my post: Where is the honest Thai person when I need one?

:bounce:

Of course the passenger who found your wallet could just as likely be farang, so where is an honest person when you need one?

December 13th, 2006, 04:31
Of course it could be anybody, Thais or Farangs. In my opinion, it is more likely the taxi driver who first found my wallet. The wallet is a over-size wallet with several layers and compartments. The dollar is kept inside the inner most layer and zipped. It would take some search to find the dollars with all the papers and cards mixed within different layers. But in the end, as I mentioned in my first message, I do not blame anybody but myself and my own stupidity.