PDA

View Full Version : Davis Hotel - a 5* hotel ?

December 9th, 2006, 07:14
It seems to be the cheapest 5* hotel ( about 3,000 baht a night )

Has anyone stayed at this hotel before ?.
Is it a real 5* hotel ? Thanks.

http://www.davisbangkok.net/hotel_gallery.html

Lunchtime O'Booze
December 9th, 2006, 08:25
where is it ? how did you find it? thru a friend ? more importantly...wot about overnight guests ?

fedssocr
December 9th, 2006, 09:50
it certainly looks nice from the website. The basic rooms do seem to be fairly basic, but the suites and higher level rooms seem to be fairly luxurious. but the location seems to be less than ideal.

December 9th, 2006, 11:25
Sukhumvit soi 24 ain't bad as a location. It's the same soi as Regency Hotel. Depending on how deep it is along the soi, it could be a reasonable walk to the Skytrain station at Phrom Pong, or a short taxi hop away. From Phrom Pong it's just a few stops more to various massage establishments.

December 9th, 2006, 11:59
I would call it 4.5 stars. Although not a name brand, it is certainly very nice.

The location is not great, though. It is at the very bottom of Sukhumvit Soi 24, so it would be a long hoof up to the Emporium. Nothing a 10 or 20 baht motorcycle ride couldn't solve.

Don't know about the joiners policy.

December 9th, 2006, 15:44
There is no official star system in Thailand. I strongly suspect that you are reading Asiarooms which has it at 5 stars and a smidgeon under 3000 baht. The hotel website does not claim to be 5 star but a 'Bangkok's first Boutique Hotel'.

When I was a young man 5 stars meant the ultimate in luxury. service and facilities and I think there were 6 in the UK of which 5 were in London. The meaning has diluted and it now seems to mean extreme luxury. Some hotels in the Middle East are claiming to be 7 stars?

Asiarooms definition of 5 stars is:
"These hotels offer only the highest level of accommodations and personalized services. The hotel locations can vary from the very exclusive locations of a suburban area, to the heart of downtown. The hotel lobbies are sumptuous, the rooms complete with stylish furnishing and quality linens. Amenities often include: in-room movies, CD stereos, garden tubs or Jacuzzis, heated pools and more. The hotels feature fine cuisine restaurant(s). Room service is usually available 24 hours a day. Fitness Centers and valet and/or garage parking are typically available. A concierge is also ready to assist you."

Whatever it is top 4* or lower 5* The Davis does have a good reputation though the location does leave something to desire for many. I wonder if you can actually get rooms at 3000 baht peak time of year.

December 9th, 2006, 16:35
Is the Davis Hotel the place John Chrysanthamumyumyum Karr, or whateverthehellhisnameis, was staying?

How you know 2006 was a dull year:
I think 'He' just made Baba Wawa's, 12 Most Interesting People of 2006, list--And I can't remember his name!...and not interested enough to google it...

chuckwow, can it really be you! I used to go out with a ladyboy who looked just like you!
`ad to put a paper bag over `er `ead...with a hole for `er mouth--So I could kiss `er! And still didn't work...If I forgot and gave `er eye-holes!

December 9th, 2006, 16:44
Haha...no. Karr was staying in a fleabag apartment building near the Malaysia Hotel.

December 9th, 2006, 22:14
Thanks !.

The best rate for this particular hotel I have found is 2,800 baht inc tax and breakfasts from www.wotif.com (http://www.wotif.com) which shows instant availability and reservation. However, prices may not be the same every day and may change everyday depending on room availabilities I guess. Wotif can also accepts bookings made 4 weeks in advance only. I used it a couple times recently and it was good and reliable.