PDA

View Full Version : Airport Taxi Advice Please

Blueskytoday
December 6th, 2006, 11:39
HI:
Upon exiting Immigration and customs at the airport in Bangkok.,,,
What is the easiest and fastest way to get a metered taxi downtown??
Thanks

December 6th, 2006, 12:15
From the Arrivals Hall go down one floor by lift or moving walkway, which grips the trolley magnetically, exit and you see the Meter Taxi Kiosk and two lines of taxis. At the kiosk state your destination. They give you a scrap of paper with that on. A guy then loads you onto a taxi and gives you an official paper with complaint proceedures and details of taxes. The taxi should put his meter on - best to check. He will likely ask you for the toll money 60 baht. When you arrive at your destination you pay the meter fare plus 50 baht airport tax. I went to the Tartawan Place Hotel on Suriwong at rush hour - a rather quiet one - and the total cost was about 370 baht. It is not usual to tip Thai taxi drivers.

It's wise to have small money in your pocket for the fare, tolls and luggage porter. ATMs seem to only give out 1000 baht notes and change can be difficult to obtain.

TrongpaiExpat
December 6th, 2006, 12:57
and gives you an official paper with complaint proceedures and details of taxes.

Those complaint forms must carry some punch, many drivers make it a point to ask to see it and not give it back.

There now several taxi desks. If one seems busy move onto one closer to the entrance. It moves along pretty quick since they have two loading lanes.

There's also the airport bus. Used to be around 100B to your hotel. Since so few use it, it might not take much longer than a taxi. They are new, not the same old ones used at the old airport.

I wonder if the airport high speed train will ever compete with taxis. I understand that it is going to Makkasan station and from there you would have to take a taxi and depending on where your hotel is located might take longer that just taking a taxi to your hotel direct.

December 6th, 2006, 13:54
as for the lack of change from ATMs, I always withdraw 9900B, so i get a few 100B notes included as well as 500B and the rest in 1000B notes.
Had the opposite problem in Saigon, some ATMs dispense only 50,000VND notes (thats about $3 USD!).

December 6th, 2006, 18:34
http://www.boxertravels.net/airport/transport.htm for full details of all transport options Limos, taxis, public bus, Airport express bus, regional bus services etc.

December 7th, 2006, 02:53
HI:
Upon exiting Immigration and customs at the airport in Bangkok.,,,
What is the easiest and fastest way to get a metered taxi downtown??
Thanks

Do never follow touts. There are still some around trying to lure people into unofficial vehicles. They are all going to overcharge you if you are lucky, that’s there business.

Simply follow well the posted directions to taxi stand at way out. Boxertravel’s info is indeed good advice.