PDA

View Full Version : Anti Coup Protests

December 4th, 2006, 18:18
Anyone think this could turn nasty?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/12 ... 020662.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/12/04/politics/politics_30020662.php)

Protest will go ahead: anti-coup group

"Let them talk. I will deal with them my way. I don't want to make any comment at the moment," he said. A lawyer for Newin Chidchob - a former member of the Thaksin Cabinet - yesterday filed a police complaint against an activist who accused Newin of funding the rally.

Meanwhile, Isaan Liberation Front leader Thaikorn Polsuwan suggested a possible return by Thaksin because of a lack of competency and experience in the CNS.

He said the CNS' political analysis was flawed and the body had poor intelligence and advisers on Thai-land's grassroots.

He said Thaksin might attempt to return to power by letting the CNS govern, then claiming public opposition to junta rule and instigating protests by the middle-class and elite. The Thaksin camp could then create political upheaval and a counter-coup, Thaikorn said

In a related development, the September 19 Anti-Coup Network yesterday insisted the mass demonstration against the coup would proceed despite CNS efforts to stop it.

Network leader Assoc Prof Ji Ungpakorn said he would lead the protests at Sanam Luang and Democracy Monument on Sunday. He said the junta had tried to stop the network from protesting. "They release daily threats and reports they have sought negotiations with us.''

Ji said his group was entitled to protest dictatorship and the junta could not stop them. "We announce here that we will not negotiate with any dictators because they have no legitimacy. Their power was acquired undemocratically,'' he said.

He said the conflict was between the public and the junta and not personal

December 4th, 2006, 21:25
Anyone think this could turn nasty?

You bet your sweet man boobs it could. Like I said in response to Ceddie's jubilation at the "just and popular" coup ... it will all end in tears. And I ain't talkin' Thaksin tears.

December 4th, 2006, 21:31
A day of mayhem and violence could be disastrous. Lets hope both sides keep their people in check and a peaceful demo ensues.