PDA

View Full Version : Silom Night Disco opens - formerly Freeman

December 4th, 2006, 18:10
http://www.pattayagay.com/weeklyreport-dec306.html

SILOM NITES DISCO OPENING THIS WEEK
IN FORMER FREEMAN DISCO SITE

"Word was received a week ago about a Disco being called "Silom Nites Disco", about which we had not had prior word. Our inquiries brought a very kind response from Jim Elder of @Richard's Pub, which is as follows:

"Silom Nites is the old Freeman Disco, located on Silom Soi 2/1. It is not being run by BBB Group; it is now being managed by G Star Group. It was supposed to open Nov. 25, but a slight delay; it is now to open Dec 5. I will keep you informed about it and the new exciting Silom Soi 2/1. HamiltonтАЩs Hideaway was the old Voicemale Karaoke. Hamilton had been located on the 3rd Floor of Telephone Pub, but due as Soi 4 is slowly dying out, and not popular amongst the Local Expat community like it was, it did not work out. Silom Soi 2/1 is becoming the place for locals (non-money boys) and expats. That is the one reason we are calling @Richards Pub тАЬYour Neighborhood PubтАЭ.

I appreciate the information very much, though I am not sure the part about Silom Soi 4 "slowly dying out" is really correct. We'll regard that as an opinion, and wish the best for both Silom 2/1 and for Silom Soi 4 businesses. That businesses in both areas seem so interested in promoting gay issues and helping with Bangkok Pride is great to hear".

I suspect that the naughty "Silom Soi 4 slowly dying out" maybe more of a wish by @ Richard's than a fact. The newsletter contains details of the multiple seasons celebrations at Balcony Pub and Telephone Bar.

TrongpaiExpat
December 4th, 2006, 20:47
Shame on Jim Elder for that katty remark. Very unprofessional.

Balcony and Telephone are going strong from what I see and not so with Richards.

What closed on soi 4 is the new Roxy. It never had any business. It was a stupid concept for a bar, I told the co-owner who was promoting it on this board and got flamed by him.

December 5th, 2006, 16:20
Shame though, Roxy was quite a nice place, obviously a lot of money spent on it. But I couldnt see it making a profit, never very busy.

allieb
December 5th, 2006, 19:27
Had dinner in the Roxy with 8 friends when it first opened. 2 first courses had been served when the main courses started arriving. Some people got their main courses first and some the first. An hour into this nightmare we had been served 3 main courses and 4 first courses. We decided to cut our losses, pay for what we had and leave. Most of us had to go to another place and start again.I'm glad its closed

Sen Yai
December 6th, 2006, 01:21
It was supposed to open Nov. 25, but a slight delay; it is now to open Dec 5......

The last I heard, the opening has been delayed again and will now be "....sometime before Christmas"

December 7th, 2006, 15:26
Shame on Jim Elder for that katty remark .... Balcony and Telephone are going strong from what I see and not so with RichardsWhenever I'm there @Richards always "had a good night last night". The fact is that when Richard ran Telephone it was successful despite him, but he's become a legend in his own lunchtime and somehow thinks he can repeat the trick (if only he could remember what it was)

TrongpaiExpat
December 7th, 2006, 20:05
Shame though, Roxy was quite a nice place, obviously a lot of money spent on it. But I couldnt see it making a profit, never very busy.

Yes, the decor was very nice. They went with a sit on the floor with pillows concept without looking at the customer base. Half of which if they sat on the floor would need a few boys at each arm to get back on their feet. Then they went with a drink host concept without doing research to see if anyone wanted that. The show was camp lady boy lip sync and that goes very well with the Thai crowd but not with all farangs and this was a farang venue.

December 7th, 2006, 22:46
Even though the owner of Roxy's was quite a pleasant guy (and extremely wealthy to boot) he was a hetero trying to cater to a mainly gay clientele. The theme of having people sitting and laying on the floor outside always bemused me to say the least.
Each to his own, but I think that was the final nail for failure in a Soi such as 4.