PDA

View Full Version : Update: Pattaya Street Kids - New Year Party Appeal

Dick
December 4th, 2006, 05:35
With the Moderator's permission, some blatant advertising!

PATTAYA STREET KIDS SUPPORT PROJECT

Registered Charity No. 1104335
A project to help and protect the street kids of Thailand

2007 NEW YEAR PARTY APPEAL

This will be the seventh year in succession that we are organising a New Years Party for the 380 children at the Hauy-Pong Children's Home in Hauy Pong, Thailand.

We are expanding the New Year celebrations this year to include a further 180 children at the Pattaya Street Kids' Home. This party will be for all of our sponsored school students, and also the children from the Koh Pai Slums.

Every New Year since 2001 we have organised a New Year's Party for all of the children to ensure that they have a really magical day during the New Year Holiday. Each year the party has become more and more important to the children, for it is the one day of the year that they can forget about their problems and enjoy themselves with a fantastic meal and a disco and karaoke.

The day is to give the kids one special day when they can forget their normal living conditions, much of which is no more than plastic sheeting supported by a few bamboo sticks or huts made from corrugated iron sheets and odd bits of timber, and give them the opportunity to join with others in a really fun-packed day. All of the children will receive some gifts to round off the day and they will be assured of having had a really memorable day.

The entire day costs just ┬г2.50 per head and any sponsorship money that is donated in excess of our budgeted costs for the parties will be used to buy the children extra gifts of their choosing. We hope our 2007 New Year's Parties for the kids will, with your help, give them a truly memorable start to the New Year in knowing that someone is thinking and caring about them.

With grateful thanks,

The Trustees.

November 2006

We confirm that the trustees involved in organising this party do so on a voluntary basis.
This means that 100% of your donation will be used for the children

How to Sponsor a child for the Party (http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/howtosponsor.html)

December 4th, 2006, 22:23
Nice one Dick, a really good and worthwhile event to sponser. Its nice to think these kids get at least 1 day a year when they can be happy and enjoy themselves. Again well done for bringing it onto the board.

December 4th, 2006, 22:26
Arrr, worthwhile cause, matey!

Smiles
December 4th, 2006, 22:59
Arrr, worthwhile cause, matey!
Agree wholeheartedly (for once).
Dick, please check PM's.

Cheers ...

December 5th, 2006, 19:13
With the Moderator's permission, some blatant advertising!

PATTAYA STREET KIDS SUPPORT PROJECT

Registered Charity No. 1104335
A project to help and protect the street kids of Thailand

2007 NEW YEAR PARTY APPEAL

We confirm that the trustees involved in organising this party do so on a voluntary basis.
This means that 100% of your donation will be used for the children

How to Sponsor a child for the Party (http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/howtosponsor.html)

A timely reminder Dick.

I sponsor a couple of kiddies for their education through this charity which I learned of through a posting on this forum last year. I have been impressed with both the charity's work and its communication with sponsors. Also it is nice to see that all of the donations are used for the kids without deductions for administration fees.

A challenge to the board! How many of you will be prepared to donate the price of two beers to give the kids a bit of help and show you do care? Go for it :cheers:

piston10
December 6th, 2006, 05:05
I was thinking of sending a donation to this Project before the thread was started and fully understand and welcome the positive reaction of posters. The Project website tugs at the heart-strings and (where I am, anyway) it's Christmas. However, I feel I don't know exactly what lies behind this charity.

If you google Pattaya Street Kids Project you find among the first few sites listed one that takes you to 'Streetkids for Christ'. On the first page of this site you find the PSKP listed, with the words 'linked to The Victory Church'. A bit more googling soon reveals that this organisation is a large, American, fundamentalist Christian network, the aims of which I would probably abhor.

It's impossible to know what the force of the word' linked' is, but it seems to suggest that at least one of the aims of the project is Christian evangelising. The site of the PSKP says nothing about the religious orientation or purpose of the charity. Does anyone have any information or personal knowledge about the true state of affairs?

Personally (and I recognise this is a personal viewpoint) I'm not completely happy about donating to an organisation that may not be capable of differentiating between 'saving children and 'saving children for Jesus'. Saving them in order to ensure fuller, richer and more happy lives as Thais (which inevitably means as Buddhists) should, as I see it, be the aim; I have very little time for Christian evangelising of non-Christian populations, for all the usual reasons - which I shall not go into here.

In the end I probably will send them a donation, because, like everyone else, I want them to have a lovely time. Just imagining the party for a moment is enough to disperse one's darker thoughts. The heart takes over from the ideology. Nevertheless, I would have to think very hard before sponsoring a child to be educated out of his/her culture. Many members are much nearer to this Project than I am and may know it personally. I should be grateful for any knowledge of it that helps to solve my dilemma. Thank you.

Bob
December 6th, 2006, 06:01
From the website, the mission of the charity is quite straight forward:

The purposes of this Charity are:

A. The relief of financial hardship among children under the age of eighteen years living in the area of Pattaya, by providing those children with goods and services they would not otherwise receive through lack of means.

B. To advance the education of children under the age of eighteen years living in the area of Pattaya by providing and assisting in the provision of facilities (not provided by the Government of Thailand) for their education.

As long as that's what occurring and there is no religious evangelising going on, then I'd have no problem supporting it.

P.S. for Piston10. I agree with your comments 100%.

Dick
December 6th, 2006, 06:17
is a UK Charity run by a voluntary committee made up of a few good natured people acting as Trustees. One for example runs a small family business, another is a policeman, and so on. Their connection is that they have been on holiday to Thailand, and have come together to do something themselves about the poverty they have witnessed.

The Mercy Project in Pattaya is one of the 'good causes' on the ground that helps the kids from the slums. The 'Foundation' as it is known locally by Thai people, is staffed by a Canadian man and wife team who have been working in Thailand for over 12yrs if I recall correctly, and belong to and are funded by the Victory Church of Canada. The Mercy Project is one of the beneficiaries of some funding from the Pattaya Street Kids Support Project for specific projects. If you check PSKSP's website and read some of the reports, you can see where there is need and which projects are supported. The PSKSP also provides supplies or equipment to the Hauy Pong Childrens home in Rayong that it is unable to acquire itself. In short, it puts money where it is most needed. It also provides a vehicle for anyone wishing to sponsor a less well off child, so as to facilitate their schooling... education is free, but clothes and shoes to wear to get to school for example, aren't. The sponsorship scheme is administered on the ground in Pattaya by the Mercy Project, with the assistance of adult Thai volunteer staff.

The New Year Party is funded by the PSKSP. Every cent that you donate goes directly to provide the party and the gifts for the kids. Likewise if you donate or sponsor for other projects, 100% of your money goes directly to provide for the kids.

As they say in Thailand, Piston10... don't think too much! This is a really worthwhile cause, and if you had any doubts about giving, I very much hope the above additional information will ease your burden. The husband and wife Victory Church team consider their 'Mission' as merely showing as good Christians, a little Mercy to those who are suffering in sometimes appalling conditions. They are really kind caring people.

I too sponsor a child, and I have seen first hand some of the work of the Mercy Project, and the Hauy Pong Childrens Home. All the staff are dedicated, and both the 'foundation' and the Hauy Pong Childrens Home rely on donations from both overseas and the Thai business community to help them do what they do. This Kids Party is the PSKSP's baby, and as the letter from the Trustees illustrates, it really does make one day a year in the kids' lives special. At least one of the Trustees travels out from the UK during the New Year Period to help 'hands on' with the organisation of the Party. And as Trustees, all the money spent by the PSKSP is accounted for and its Projects monitored.

┬г2.50/$5 can really make a difference in someone's life. If you can find it in your heart, Please Give! It's easy with PayPal.

piston10
December 6th, 2006, 07:48
Dick, thank you for that swift and reassuring reply. I'm convinced and have already put pen to cheque book - as I hope others will.

BTW, about 'tinkin too much'. No hope of it stopping until I'm flat out in a box with a bunch of lilies on my chest.

December 6th, 2006, 13:00
d
I was thinking of sending a donation to this Project before the thread was started and fully understand and welcome the positive reaction of posters. The Project website tugs at the heart-strings and (where I am, anyway) it's Christmas. However, I feel I don't know exactly what lies behind this charity.

If you google Pattaya Street Kids Project you find among the first few sites listed one that takes you to 'Streetkids for Christ'. On the first page of this site you find the PSKP listed, with the words 'linked to The Victory Church'. A bit more googling soon reveals that this organisation is a large, American, fundamentalist Christian network, the aims of which I would probably abhor.

I should be grateful for any knowledge of it that helps to solve my dilemma. Thank you.

It I may add to the reassurance given above by Dick.

When a year ago I was thinking of sponsoring two kiddies through this project I made direct contact with one of the trustees via Email to ask similar questions. I have pasted the relevant parts of the reply below:

'There are a number of similar names organisation if you search the web but our charity only works onder the name of the Pattaya Street Kids Support Project and we are registered as such by the UK Charity Commission.

We run our education sponsorship scheme through the Mercy Project because they have a ready up and running infrastructure in Pattaya, if we were to set up our own office and staff then the costs would have to me met from donations which as you will know are 100% used for the kids, we do not deduct any administration costs, the trustees meet those costs themselves.

Our only connection with the the Mercy Project is as above, we tap into their infrastructure and use their good offices and staff to faciliate our access to the schools, the slum children and the slum kids. This way we always have an up to date picture on the work that needs doing in Pattaya and we try to respond accordingly.

Religion: We absolutely DO NOT promote any religion it does not come into the equation, if a child needs support in any way then we try to help, the child's religion or lack of it never enters our decision making . In fact out constitution and registration as a non-religious charity specifically forbids us to promote any religion or religious activity. In fact I am not aware that even the trustees know if their fellow trustees have any religious beliefs or not, it has never been discussed as it of no relevance to our thinking. What we do all believe is that religion is far to often a bar to some charities being able to help the very people they are set up to support. Using the same thinking we never ask our supporters for personal information other than that need for us to keep in contact with them and again religion and creed is of no interest to us.

When we first set this project up I personally had many long meetings with the directors of the Mercy Project which is an offshoot of the Victory Church and we made it clear and it was agreed that in no way would we support any evangelical work. This is one of the reasons that the MERCY project is set up as a seperate foundation from the Victory Church as this way we can work with Mercy project without the religious parameters of the church.

Our trustees make decisions based only on the needs of the child whether the child has any religious leanings is never considered.

As a trustee I visit Thailand 3-4 times a year to check on our work and other trustees also visit. As these visits form part of trustees holiday travel all the costs are mer from the trustees personal funds.

In using our funds we never make donations to any organisation to assist its administration. We identify a need in either education, food or clothing and we then have that need confirmed and source the service. We then instruct on the delivery of that service and then we pay the supplier direct. We are at present looking into supporting the building of a child care centre at the KoPai slum in Pattaya and in April 2006 I will be back in Pattaya to see if the work that we agreed to finance there has been completed and at that time we will pay the supplier. We have 100% control over our funds and how they are used.

You will find links to our website on many websites both religious and non-religious and these have been placed by wellwishers wanting to bring our project to the attention of others. As we are a trustee financed charity we are not able to spend vast sums in advertising on the major search engines so these links do help bring people to our site.

If you have any other question about the project please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be delighted to answer any queries you may have............

Based on that reply and other information I have gathered for myself I am satisfied that the charity has no religious leanings and does in fact concentrate on the welfare of the children whatever the child's religion may be.

December 6th, 2006, 14:31
Dick,

Thank you for the notice. How can I make a contribution? Much success.

Festively,

Daxus

Dick
December 6th, 2006, 20:38
Daxus

If you follow the How to sponsor a child for the party link in the opening post, it will take you to the Support Project's web page with the information you seek. For ease of reference, I list some options here:

To make a donation by Pay-Pal (www.paypal.com (http://www.paypal.com)) simply quote the email address: streetkids@ntlworld.com when asked for the Beneficiary's email address. Please remember to include details as to how you wish your donation used in the 'Notes' box in the Paypal online payment form e.g. 'for New Year Party'.

To make a donation to the Project by Wire Transfer, the account details are:
Account Name: Pattaya Street Kids Support Project
Account No: 50943711
Barclays Bank PLC
Sort code: 20-98-74
IBAN: GB30BARC20987450943711
SWIFT BIC: BARCGB22
USA ROUTING: 026002574

To make a donation to the project by post, please make cheques payable to 'Pattaya Street Kids Support Project' and post to the address below:

Pattaya Street Kids Support Project
4 Ferring Lane
Ferring
West Sussex BN12 6QY
United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1903-763286
Fax: +44 (0)1903-201896

My thanks to all who have contributed or who will do so.

(A/C details updated Dec 8th with IBAN & SWIFT codes)

piston10
December 7th, 2006, 05:26
Thanks for the quotation from the email of the PSKSP trustee. It makes all the difference. The whole arrangement seems very unusual, and it's not surpring it's difficult to work out on one's own. But I (and others, I hope) now have a pretty fair sense of the charity. I know that in such a complex organisation there are things that can be said and not said and sensibilities to be considered. Perhaps a pity,nevertheless, that a few of these points don't come over more clearly from their site. But all's well that end's well.

Lunchtime O'Booze
December 7th, 2006, 12:43
from the old Pattyagay days--but are the accounts published anywhere on the net ?

I can't see them on that site and the aims are commendable but I like to know how my money is spent. I can see that the kids benefit but how much goes ( if any) on adminstration costs ?.

(I've been burnt before by a wretched Aussie cow who runs an Asian kid's charity--and the vile creature uses 90% of the donations to fund a luxury lifestyle in Thai and Indonesian hotels. I'm working on a strategy to expose the rotten bitch.)

Lunchtime O'Booze
December 7th, 2006, 15:23
Can you help ?
I'd rather do it by private message but I have already spoken to the AFP about her. She was also an AFP informant and was responsible for making some claims about an American writer and an English TV star in Sri Lanka which turned out to be baloney but caused them heaps of trouble. My local MP says they don't have anything to do with her anymore.

The way she works is by being "sponsored" by a lot of companies like airlines and hotel chains and receives free flights and accommodation to attend conferences. She also gets a government grant but gives less than a tenth to charity. She got my gander up when I met her the last time and she started making some claims about Father Chris O'Reilly and his "Youth Of The Streets" charity. Father O'Reilly is the most honest man on earth and spent 4 months building houses in Phuket and sleeping on a mud floor after the tsunami. He even used his entire life savings to buy wood and nails and won't take a penny for himself except to eat.

What do you suggest ?

Dick
December 8th, 2006, 05:56
for posting further clarification of the integrity of the Pattaya Street Kids Support Project in the (locked) 'Scam' thread. Ordinarily, it would be natural to disregard any aspersions cast by those whose aim might be to run down anything good, but this is a bone fide charity that puts 100% of the funds donated to help where it is needed. It's too important a cause to see it belittled. I very much hope that this additional positive feedback will help sway more readers to offer a modest contribution of ┬г2.50/$5.00/200Baht (or more) to fund a place at the New Year Kids Party.

To make a donation by Pay-Pal (www.paypal.com (http://www.paypal.com)) simply quote the email address: streetkids@ntlworld.com when asked for the Beneficiary's email address. Please remember to include details as to how you wish your donation used in the 'Notes' box in the Paypal online payment form e.g. 'for New Year Party'.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/trickydickie/IMG_1152.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/trickydickie/IMG_1136.jpg
The above pics were taken at the Hauy Pong Childrens home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/trickydickie/IMG_1140.jpg
This one may provide an idea of how much grass there is to cut!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/trickydickie/IMG_1133.jpg
More mattresses are needed for a new dormitory.
And as you can see from the pics below, donations are always welcomed at the Hauy Pong Childrens Home. These pictures show support provided for specific projects by the US Navy, and the Jesters.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/trickydickie/IMG_1141.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/trickydickie/IMG_1138.jpg

Where do you think the underage kids rounded up from the streets and bars of Sunee end up? A great many stay in the Hauy Pong Childrens Home where they are cared for, and if they can't be put back with their families, remain in the home and are provided with a caring, stable environment where they are helped to learn a trade, so that at 18 they have a chance to fend for themselves. The home looks after more than 500 boys and girls of all ages.

The Support Project offers the educational sponsorship programme to help keep those with a fighting chance, in school and off the streets. And for the kids, it's good to know that someone out there has taken an interest in them. You can sponsor a child for as little as ┬г5/$10/400Baht a month. And yes you can meet the child you sponsor if you've a mind to. A few from this Board already do. It doesn't matter that you're the other way inclined... what matters is your good heart - they're not limited to breeders.

Please give something if you can afford to do so. It will make a difference. My thanks.

Lunchtime O'Booze
December 8th, 2006, 07:10
I don't see you have a right to "disregard any aspersions cast by those whose aim might be to run down anything good" when you are asking for charity donations. People have every right to ask about the donations. If you remember back to Hedda's days he was adamant that a charity everyone was being asked to donate should account for it's money. No-one should just accept the charity is OK just because you say it is. Every crooK under the sun ends up in Pattaya and they aint all straight or hetro.

However you have expained that 100% of the money goes to towards the kids so it sounds kosher!

Dick
December 8th, 2006, 07:51
Nothing wrong with people asking where their money goes if they have or are intending to contribute. Agreed. And I hope the information already posted by Naughty, jinx, and myself together with what can be read on the Project's website, makes clear enough what sponsors are contributing to. But please don't mix a genuine question with those who appear to want run down any good work. There's a big difference between asking a genuine question and labelling a charity a scam. Maybe I should have said 'Ordinarily, it would be natural for me to disregard any aspersions...' in other words refrain from comment. I've never felt the need to resort to the ignore button even for trolls of the highest order, as ordinarily I would rely on self restraint. But I judged I might not be alone in my feelings as I did in this instance.

I'm very pleased you have endorsed the Project as 'kosher', but am now worried that religion might prejudice you from otherwise showing generosity. But given the accredited transparancy, I hope you will be persuaded.

Lunchtime O'Booze
December 8th, 2006, 09:13
so I'm certainly going to donate. A couple a quids a bit small..they're worthy of more than that and I'll send it to them.

You've given your karma a good boost today !! :cheers:

Dick
December 10th, 2006, 22:40
I have copied below a message that has gone out to known sponsors from the Trustees of the Pattaya Street Kids Support Project:

On behalf of all of the children in Pattaya that this project is
helping, the charity trustees wish to express their sincere thanks for
your interest in the project and your support that has enabled us to
continue helping these kids.

The children that we are helping can usually only dream about the things
that many other children throughout the world take for granted
especially at this time of the year. Thanks to your help we will be
able to give hundreds of the children a magical few days and our
students will know that your support is enabling them to continue with
their education without which an education would not be possible.

The trustees wish you a peaceful and safe holiday season and we look
forward to updating you in January on our Christmas and New Year visit
to Pattaya.

The Trustees
Pattaya Streeet Kids Support Project.

Children Needing Sponsors (http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/childrenneedingsponsors.html)

Dick
December 18th, 2006, 02:06
Whilst corresponding with the Treasurer of The Pattaya Street Kids Support Project about another matter, he mentioned that since the beginning of December, they had received 'unexpected' donations via Paypal, amounting to ┬г193.00 for the Children's New Year Party. He assumes this sum is attributable to donors who read this Board.
My thanks to everyone who contributed. That money is the equivalent of 77 places at the Kids' Party.
Just thought you would be interested to know the response from this Forum.
Thanks everyone.

Jetsam
December 18th, 2006, 02:43
This one may provide an idea of how much grass there is to cut!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/trickydickie/IMG_1140.jpg

This is clearly a scam because this grass don't have to be cut http://images.fok.nl/s/wink.gif

December 18th, 2006, 06:05
Well done Dick. It warms the cockles to see how much was raised and the interest shown by the number of hits on this trail. Many of us are very fortunate in life and it is a pleasure to give something to those less lucky particularly at Chrismastime. Let\\\'s hope that this becomes and annual event! Maaybe a few photos of the kids at party would be nice.

If they have invented grass that does not need cutting they could make a fortune.

Lunchtime O'Booze
December 18th, 2006, 14:03
Good God.. we can do better than that !!

Mrs O'Booze is going to have to go without her housekeeping money. Come on chaps !!! :cheers:

(what are they growing in the hydroponic greenhouse donated by the US sailors ?? :cyclopsani: )

Dick
December 18th, 2006, 17:13
I'll let someone else plant the seed that it could be grass!

piston10
December 19th, 2006, 06:54
I fully back L. O'B.'s encouragement to donate, but I think the figure of ┬г193.00 is only the amount received 'unexpectedly' via Paypal. There are a number of other ways of donating. I sent a cheque to the English address and the Treasurer would have had no idea that I was connected with the Forum. Others may have done the same. I earmarked it for the Huay Pong home party, but said use it for anything else if the you have adequate funds for the party. I received an acknowledgement from the Treasurer, dated 9 December, that included:

"I am pleased to say that the budget for the party at the Hauy Pong home has been achieved and we are now well on the way to meet the budget for the parties planned for both the scholarship students and the children from the GoPai slum in Pattaya. Any money in excess of our planned budget for these events will be used to buy children extra clothing and gifts that are appropriate for their immediate needs."

So the parties are covered - no doubt thanks in large part to the members of the Forum.

AMARETTO-old
December 20th, 2006, 19:48
For all members living in France, you can sponsor the street kids project via : http://www.orphelinatpattaya.org/

Dick
December 20th, 2006, 20:22
Dear Amaretto

Thank you for the link. It's good to see the French are doing their bit too. If you refer to Naughty but Nice's post above wherein he quotes a letter from the Pattaya Street Kids Support Project in the UK, it says the UK Project is a separate charity although there are other charities with similar names. But if the money all ends up in the right place I'm sure the kids don't care whether their support is paid for from тВмuros or Sterling.

Thank you very much for supporting a worthwhile cause.

bucknaway
January 8th, 2007, 06:01
I didn't donate, but I wonder how it went.

Dick
January 8th, 2007, 06:43
Once the UK staff have returned, I copy the board with pics and report on the New Year Party, or provide a link to their website with same.
That is my intention, as I'm sure all who contributed to the party will be interested.

Dick
January 9th, 2007, 23:37
I received an email from one of the members of the UK Charity today, and repeat below an extract:

'As members of your forum kindly supported the project this year this is just
to let you know that the party at the Hauy Pong home was a great success and
the best so far. The party for the slum kids and the one for the
students were also greatly enjoyed by the kids and now we only have the party
for the kids at the GoPai slum to do and that is tomorrow (Wednesday 10th).

I am back home on January 21st and I will then start to sift through all of
the photos (1123 so far) and update the website and send you the link, just
in case any of your members care to take a look.'

Once again, many thanks to everyone who supported the Pattaya Street Kids Support Project.

Smiles
January 10th, 2007, 00:39
.... and thanks to Dick for this thread, which went from First Idea, to generous donations, to money put to good use, to a closing public acknowledgement.

A fullfilling success for those who donated, and ~ in a small way ~ for this Board which helped to bring together those who wished to 'Do Some Good', within Thailand.

Cheers ...

January 27th, 2007, 21:04
'Do Some Good'[/i], within Thailand.

Cheers ...

I have just returned from holiday in Australia and found this link for the full update on the Street Kids Project in my email.

It appears that the events over Christmas and New year were an immense success and heartening to know that some of the members of this board played a part in enabling this to happen and for helping put a smile on these kids' faces

Congratulations to the webmaster of the site for making the site so informative and easy to navigate between text and photos.

http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/Dec06-Jan07.html