PDA

View Full Version : One night in Bangkok ... (Recommendations please)

December 2nd, 2006, 11:45
Ok, my last night in Thailand for what will be a very long time (6 months to a year or more) will be spent in Bangkok, alone and without my good friend of the last 8 months or so. I know where i'll be eating, a tiny little road side stall with Isan food he and I liked so much and where he went back for seconds on countless occassions. I know where i'll be staying, the hotel on Surawong where he felt treated so well and he said 'they take care me good'.

My flight isn't until 11.00am so I can go to a few bars and catch a few shows - any recommendations of what you think are the best bars around Silom and Surawong for shows (plus times if you know them)? I did do my own little review sometime back (maybe a year not sure) but these bars seem to fluctuate in terms of quality of show so any recent visitors to Bangkok with views of where to go (or where not) would be appreciated.

December 2nd, 2006, 17:07
The Tower Inn is fairly good. Well positioned on Silom Road within easy walking distance including hundreds of cheap food stalls around. Expect around 1.500 TBT per room incl. breakfast. There is no real alternative if you looking at value for money. It might be advisable that your Thai friend inquire for room and rate first - he might get a better price. Alternatively check Internet rates. You can jump on the airport bus which will stop infront of the hotel (just inform the porter or bell boy to assist you). The bus is nearly as fast as a taxi (but less expensive) and will stop at the departure level at airport.

The Tarntawan Place Hotel is excellent but a little more pricy. centrally located just off Thanon Suriwong between Patpong and Silom Soi 6 but not in an noisy area. It's a very good hotel, the best gay stay in town but often fully booked.

Well, there are the Babylon Barracks. Standard rooms with comfortable beds but without connected private facilities for around 1.200 TBT. You need to use common showers and toilets due to the barrack-theme.... No TV but free coupon for sauna. And f you are looking for food stalls, you or your friend can step over to Suan Plu area which is just behind the connecting wall. YO can find loads of cheap eateries there.

Not very fare from Babylon or off Suan Plu you might find Aquarius Guest House a lovely alternative. Set in a housing area, you get everything you like for around 1,000 TBT per night.

If you don't want a central locations, there is Beach residence near Lat Phrao. Perfectly located facing the MRT station Ratchadepesiek (follow exit for school) with many cheap food places behind. From there to Silom its less than 30 min by MRT. Room for 599 TBT are clean and spacious.

Forget BBB INN or X Apartments on Rama IX. Very basic, very noisy, unsafe area at night time. Pollution due to the most frequented traffic spot in Bangkok.

Malaysia Hotel and others around places along Ngam Dupli might be fully booked. Well there is the good old Honey House if you are good on climbing stairs. The basic, cheap and somewhwa clean. What can you expect for around 450 to 500 TBT per night? Oh yes, some rooms do have TV - or the nearest to it.

From all places mentioned the airport is within easy reach.

December 2nd, 2006, 18:06
The Tower Inn is fairly good. Well positioned on Silom Road within easy walking distance including hundreds of cheap food stalls around. Expect around 1.500 TBT per room incl. breakfast. There is no real alternative if you looking at value for money. It might be advisable that your Thai friend inquire for room and rate first - he might get a better price. Alternatively check Internet rates. You can jump on the airport bus which will stop infront of the hotel (just inform the porter or bell boy to assist you). The bus is nearly as fast as a taxi (but less expensive) and will stop at the departure level at airport.

The Tarntawan Place Hotel is excellent but a little more pricy. centrally located just off Thanon Suriwong between Patpong and Silom Soi 6 but not in an noisy area. It's a very good hotel, the best gay stay in town but often fully booked.

Well, there are the Babylon Barracks. Standard rooms with comfortable beds but without connected private facilities for around 1.200 TBT. You need to use common showers and toilets due to the barrack-theme.... No TV but free coupon for sauna. And f you are looking for food stalls, you or your friend can step over to Suan Plu area which is just behind the connecting wall. YO can find loads of cheap eateries there.

Not very fare from Babylon or off Suan Plu you might find Aquarius Guest House a lovely alternative. Set in a housing area, you get everything you like for around 1,000 TBT per night.

If you don't want a central locations, there is Beach residence near Lat Phrao. Perfectly located facing the MRT station Ratchadepesiek (follow exit for school) with many cheap food places behind. From there to Silom its less than 30 min by MRT. Room for 599 TBT are clean and spacious.

Forget BBB INN or X Apartments on Rama IX. Very basic, very noisy, unsafe area at night time. Pollution due to the most frequented traffic spot in Bangkok.

Malaysia Hotel and others around places along Ngam Dupli might be fully booked. Well there is the good old Honey House if you are good on climbing stairs. The basic, cheap and somewhwa clean. What can you expect for around 450 to 500 TBT per night? Oh yes, some rooms do have TV - or the nearest to it.

From all places mentioned the airport is within easy reach.

Read the post ! He says he know where he is staying !!
He wants up-to-date info on bars not on where to stay. :banghead:

December 2nd, 2006, 18:28
Yes, Snowkat. You've got a point. I am sorry.

It might be wise to inquire with the Balls Sports Bar staff which bar is worth having a look at. They are not related with any bar around except Dick's Cafe which also no off bar.

Often customers do make comments about other bars, therefore they knew what is going on.
Classic boys next to Balls it is usually OK.
Any bar with "BBB" outside usually is just a rip off - and proving identical "shows" due to the fact that there "stars" are rotating between them. BBB venues are also notorious for being very pushy but unfriendly. ...

Dodger
December 2nd, 2006, 20:28
Fatman...

I know where i'll be eating, a tiny little road side stall with Isan food he and I liked so much and where he went back for seconds on countless occassions.

Why don't you just phone him?

December 3rd, 2006, 13:55
... Ttom for the information. Snowkat is correct I am sorted for accommodation but I am sure others will find your post on hotels/guesthouses more than useful. I do like Balls Sports bar, a very pleasant place to sit outside and watch the traffic flow and i'll ask around to see what is suggested.

Dodger, as for phoning my friend, we said goodbye last night in Pattaya for what will be a long break. He'll be back off to Isan and i'll be phoning and emailing when I get home. Its back to 10.00pm bedtimes for him and early starts in the field planting/harvesting rice and 'taking care' of his family's buffalo instead of this fat Ferang.

I know some will laugh out loud when I say I am going to miss Pattaya (yes that shithole to some) but it's more to do with the wonderful people I have met and the friends I have made. Its a very easy place in which to relax, to lose yourself in the welcome all attitude and to gather memories that will last a lifetime.