PDA

View Full Version : Thailand's mobile phones 10-digit numbers only 1st December

November 30th, 2006, 18:08
Thailand's mobile phones goes 10-digit numbers tomorrow

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): Tomorrow December 1, 2006, Thailand's mobile operators will change all Thai mobile numbers from 9-digits to 10-digits numbers. 9-digit numbers will not work after midnight, the mobile operators AIS and DTAC told thaivisa.com today.

If you still have 9-digits numbers in your phone book, you will be unable to call these stored numbers. All you have to do is to edit your own phone book to include the extra "8" digit for Thai mobile phones.

If your old number was, for example: 01-5432109 your new number is now 081-5432109.

You might want to add an "8" in your phone setting for "SMS Service Centre" as well

Don't forget to inform your international phone friends and colleagues of the new situation. As in the example above, if your international phone number was +6615432109 - from tomorrow it is +66815432109

Fixed phone lines, 'land lines', are not affected by the change.

The alteration of local mobile phones to the 10-digit system was to cope with the kingdom's expanding demand for mobile phone services in coming years, according to the National Telecommunication Commission (NTC).

bigben
November 30th, 2006, 23:22
I wonder if this 08 prefix will end up slowly taking place over the next year instead of at midnight as the Bkk post says.

I just called my mobile from my home phone and it worked using the "8" and without the "8"

I also called 2 friends with the same result.

So much for it starting at Midnight on December 1.

Good night all

Ps: The time in Thailand now is 12:27 AM in spite of what this site says.

TOQ
December 1st, 2006, 00:34
I wonder if this 08 prefix will end up slowly taking place over the next year instead of at midnight as the Bkk post says.

I just called my mobile from my home phone and it worked using the "8" and without the "8"

I also called 2 friends with the same result.

So much for it starting at Midnight on December 1.

Good night all

Ps: The time in Thailand now is 12:27 AM in spite of what this site says.

Site is probably dated and hosted on Eastern Standard Time in the US. That would account for the 12 hour difference. Just a thought

john