PDA

View Full Version : Retiring in Thailand on a 12-mth Non Imm Type O-A Visa ...

Smiles
November 29th, 2006, 12:40
On my return to Vancouver last week I dropped into the Thai Consulate-General office and received all the documents required to make application for the Thailand 12-month Non Immigrant Type O-A Visa.

This is not the only way to receive a Non Imm 12-month visa, but it seems to be the easiest way for my own personal circumstances: once I have it, that's it ... no cross-border nonsense every few months. Once granted the 12-month visa the only bureaucracy which should be encountered would be a visit to an immigration office or police station every 3 months to get the visa stamped. I have heard from a good and reliable friend (actually more than one) that this stamping process is pretty much a breezy formality.

This type of visa can only be obtained outside of Thailand, and even then not in every country on the planet. Canada is obviously one of the annointed, as is the US, Britain, and I'm assuming, most countries in the European Community, and 'others' (though of that I am not 100% sure). For those countries where this type of visa can be applied for, the rules below would be the same, save the visa fee which would of course be in that country's currency, but equivalent to $200 Canadian.

The Thai gentleman who seemed to be in charge at the Vancouver Consulate was most congenial and friendly and answered a lot of my questions regarding some of the perceived ambiguity in the wording of the instructions (quoted below from the Consulate's website).
The necessary forms were all together in a nice little package and he pointed out which ones required a stamp as well as a signature. The stamp rigmarole seemed very important to him and I was glad to hear this, as I would like very much to not have this stuff sent back to me for further bureaucratic chasing simply because I didn't get (or understand) the proper procedures. One only wants to go through this once.

Anyway, I thought this procedural stuff may be of interest to those on the Board who are seriouisly thinking of retiring (semi-retiring) in Thailand ... are 50-and/or-over ... have enough cash in the bank ... have the minimum monthly income ... can prove they're not a murderer or pedophile ... don't have leprosy ... and aren't already persona non grata in Thailand.

One-Year O-A Visa for Retirees

This type of visa will be issued to applicants aged 50 years or above wishing to take retreat in the Kingdom for a period of at least one year.

1. Requirements for Obtaining a One-year O-A Visa

The applicant must be 50 years of age or older by the date of application [/*:m:1hv7eb7g]
Applicants cannot be prohibited from entering the Kingdom [/*:m:1hv7eb7g]
Applicants must having no criminal record against the security of
Thailand or the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence. [/*:m:1hv7eb7g]
Applicants must be of the nationality or resident in the country where his/her application is submitted. [/*:m:1hv7eb7g]
Applicants must not have prohibitive diseases as indicated in Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535). [/*:m:1hv7eb7g]
Applicants cannot be allowed to work in Thailand [/*:m:1hv7eb7g]

2. Documents Required to Apply for a One-Year O-A Visa

A passport valid for no less than one year and a half at the time of application [/*:m:1hv7eb7g]
Three Visa Application Forms (with three passport-sized photos of the applicant taken within the past six months) certified by a lawyer or notary public.[/*:m:1hv7eb7g]
A personal Data Form (i.e. "Additional Visa Application Form for "O-A" Long Stay) certified by a lawyer or notary public.
[/*:m:1hv7eb7g]
A bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (original copy) indicating a monthly income of no less than 65,000 Baht. Alternatively, applicants can make a deposit and provide an income certificate indicating a total income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year. All financial statement must have the signature of the bank officer. Any bank statements require a letter of guarantee from the bank (original copy) as well (this document must be valid for no more than 3 months).
A criminal record check indicating that the applicant has no criminal record in the country of his/her nationality or residence (this document must be valid for no more than 3 months). [/*:m:1hv7eb7g]
A medical certificate issued from the country in which the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) (this certificate shall be valid for no more than 3 months and must display a stamp or seal from the issuing office). [/*:m:1hv7eb7g]

3. Fee for O-A Visa

CAD$175 per applicant

4. Other instructions for O-A Visa Applicants Once in Thailand

The alien shall report to the competent authority after 90 days in the Kingdom, and report every 90 days thereafter with the immigration officer in the alien's residence area, or report to the police station in the alien's residence area if there is no immigration control there. (In order to report to the competent authority by mail, the alien shall do as follows: Forward the Report Form (To Mo 47) together with a copy of the passport pages showing the alien's photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp and include a self addressed envelop with sufficient postage affixed. This must be forwarded 7 days before the due date. This package should be mailed to the Immigration Bureau, Sathon Tai Road,
At the end of the one-year stay, a visitor who wishes to extend his/her stay must submit a request to extend the period at the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer, or a deposit account in the Kingdom, or an income certificate, of the amount of no less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate plus a deposit account indicating a total amount of no less than 800,000 Baht a year.
Sathon District, Bangkok 10120. In the case of conducting any following reports, the Reply Form for the previous report shall be enclosed as well.) Copies of any previous such Reports should also be included.[/*:m:1hv7eb7g]

Hope those thinking about this will find this useful.

Cheers ...

2lz2p
November 30th, 2006, 14:01
Applying for an O-A visa in your home country does require a bit more paperwork тАУ plus the тАЬcertifications/stampsтАЭ whatever that may be тАУ also, not sure what is meant by the тАЬbank guaranteeтАЭ from your home country bank. Applying in Thailand тАУ at least in Pattaya тАУ is rather straight forward. First you have to obtain a non-immigrant тАЬOтАЭ visa before entering Thailand (although I have heard from someone that they entered Thailand on a tourist visa, had it converted to an тАЬOтАЭ visa at Pattaya Immigration, and then got their new тАЬOтАЭ visa extended for one year extension based on meeting the retirement criteria ). The following is to give an idea of the process in Pattaya for comparison. Whichever method you choose тАУ I hope you enjoy your retirement in LOS as much as I have.

The following is from the Pattaya Immigration Office web site (www.pattaya-immigration.e-webline.com (http://www.pattaya-immigration.e-webline.com)) with my annotations in brackets (comments based on my own experience and that of other retirees here in Pattaya):

RETIREMENT VISA
Application for Non Immigrant Visa Retirement :

Permission will be garanted for a period of not more than 1 year time. [Regardless of when you apply тАУ at beginning of permitted 90 day stay or near the end of it тАУ the extension will be one year from the date you entered Thailand using the тАЬOтАЭ visa тАУ or, if a multiple entry тАЬOтАЭ visa, it will be one year from the date you last entered Thailand using that visa.]

1.The alien obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM) [Type тАЬOтАЭ visa, which permits a stay of up to 90 days тАУ in USA, fee is $50.]
2. The applicant is 50 years of age or over
3. Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; [this is in the form of a letter from your respective Embassy тАУ each Embassy has their own requirements as to what constitutes тАЬproofтАЭ тАУ the US Embassy basically provides a notary seal to your signed letter (in essence an affidavit by you as to your monthly income) or
3.1 Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than Baht 800,000 as shown in bank account transactions for the past 3 months; [Based on recent news articles, if using the 800,000 on deposit in a Thai bank rather than income, Immigration will want to see that it has been on deposit for at least 90 days (3 months) тАУ however, the article тАУ in Pattaya Today тАУ mentioned that it is most likely that Immigration would give a shorter extension than one year (say up to 90 days from when the funds were deposited) then have you come back in to show that the funds have remained on deposit тАУ then they would grant the remainder of the one year extension. or
3.2 Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less than Baht 8000,000 as of the filling date of application [Appears to be an error on amount shown in 3.2 тАУ should be 800,000 rather than 8 million. ]

Document required :

- Application form [Request for extension of stay in Thailand тАУ show purpose as retirement and period as 365 days on the application тАУ the fee is 1,900 baht]
- Copy of the applicant's passport [Not real sure, but it is my understanding the passport expiration date should show validity for at least 6 months beyond the one-year extension date. ]
- Proof of income, e.g., retirment pension, interest earning or dividends, etc.; [if using income or a combination of deposit and income тАУ as mentioned, this is based on a letter from your Embassy тАУ US Embassy charges a $30 notary fee for the letter. Pattaya Immigration accepts a photocopy of this document so that you can use it again at time of renewal тАУ HOWEVER, they will ask to see the original тАУ often running their fingers over the embossed тАЬsealтАЭ to ensure it is the original Embassy letter.]
- Certificate of local bank account deposit together with copies of bank account records [Bank certificate at Bangkok Bank costs 200 baht and the certificate should be as close to date of application as possible тАУ Immigration will want the original included with the application. Other bank records are photocopies of the face page of passbook and the last page showing amount on deposit тАУ you will need to sign the photocopies (Thailand doesnтАЩt seem to use notaries, instead the signing of photocopies is considered a certification that it is a true copy of the original).

You may note that no тАЬmedical certificateтАЭ is mentioned. Until recently, Pattaya Immigration did require a medical certificate with initial application and each renewal тАУ doctors at the local clinics usually provided for around 100 to 150 baht (the certificate only stated that you were free of certain specified diseases тАУ it was not a certificate related to general health).

So, basically if applying in Thailand, you do not have to have the documents тАЬstampedтАЭ or тАЬguaranteedтАЭ by anyone тАУ other than your Embassy letter if using income as part or all of your financial qualification. There is also no requirement for a letter regarding a criminal record.

In most cases, if all the paperwork is in order and you go into Pattaya Immigration around opening (8:30am), you will probably pick up your passport with visa extension that afternoon. Now for a few tips that might make things go more smoothly:

Be polite, be properly dressed (shirt with collar, long pants or, at least walking shorts тАУ avoid T-shirts, cut-offs, etc.), smile a lot, do not get upset or raise your voice if they question or ask for more documents, be polite, smile a lot, be polite тАжтАжтАжтАжтАж.  I have found the Immigration staff in Pattaya to be efficient and usually courteous (although sometimes they can be a bit abrupt).

Another thing you may want to do after you receive your extension of the тАЬOтАЭ (retirement) visa тАУ get a re-entry permit тАУ a single re-entry permit is 1,000 baht a multiple is 3,800 baht. Either one will have an expiration date that coincides with the expiration date of your extended (retirement) visa. If you leave Thailand (even just a border crossing into one of the neighboring countries) and DO NOT have a reentry permit, your current (extended) visa will terminate when you leave the country. Returning, you will get a 30 day on arrival stamp and will have to obtain another non-immigrant visa and go through the initial application process again. With a reentry permit, your extended тАЬOтАЭ visa will remain valid and when reentering Thailand, the тАЬpermitted to stayтАЭ date stamped into your passport will be the expiration date of your retirement visa.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, whether you get an тАЬO-AтАЭ visa in your home country or get an extension of an тАЬOтАЭ visa in Thailand, you do not have to make any border runs. But do not forget to report your address to Immigration within 90 days of your last entering (reentering) Thailand or your last address reporting, whichever is later. Although you have to include your address on any renewal application or application for reentry permit, these do not count as meeting the 90 day reporting requirement тАУ you must also complete the address reporting form and file it at the appropriate desk.

November 30th, 2006, 21:22
I must admit to recently having a rather PLEASANT experience at a Thai consulate in the USA acquiring just that, the non-immigrant O-A visa for arrival in Thailand good for one year and mutiple entries. The cost was $125.00 US. (I recommend having the correct change in currency as it was requested and I had to borrow a five from my companion as opposed to hunting for change on the street). Since I was given the visa without much ado, I can only list a few extra measures I went through on my application without being sure they were absolutely required, which included: 1) three complete copies of all applications, addt. forms req'd, etc. 2) including copy of my passport details page (for which I got a look as if I really knew what I was doing!) 3) an itinerery showing expected date of arrival in Thailand, 4) signed/dated all pages in the full set of three copies of applications, 5) explaining in ink any idiotic entries on my "arrest record" (a traffic violation) obtained for <10 dollars at my local police department, 6) confirming verbally it was the one-year multiple I was after and that if for some reason I were just given a tourist visa then that I wanted 2 entry tourist visa (and a refund of the difference on costs). Wai, learn the words "sawasdee khrap" and "Khap khum khrap", and smile a lot. As I personally applied I was able to pick it up the next afternoon (but you might not be able to do the O-A by mail - so check that). It went very well and they were quite friendly about it all.

Smiles
September 12th, 2009, 11:12
After being in Thailand last year on a 12 month Non-Imm Type O-A (the so-called 'Retirement' or 'Long-Stay' visa), the puppy died this August and the only option one has after that (besides applying for another one all over again) is to jump through the very simple hoops placed down by Thailand Immigration in order to receive a 12-month Permission to Stay (or 'Extension').

Thai Immigration very nicely provides this particular service ~ rather than demanding one start all over again with yet another visa application ~ to those 50 years and older, and once received, one is good to go for another year.
Not sure how many here are sailing on this boat, but ~ after having just received my Permission to Stay the other day, I thought some might be interested in the process, especially those who, like myself, has just gone ~ or is just about to go ~ through the ropes on this for the first time.

The main thing to remember about this is that your Type 'O' or 'O-A' visa has expired ... never to be seen again. From then on you are living in Thailand under a permission-to-stay stamp in your passport. It's NOT a visa.

The items Thai Immigration asks for in order to receive the Permission to-Stay are these:

A completed Thai Immigration Form T-7[/*:m:3lqfsob5]
A photocopy of the identification pages and relevant Thai Immigration entry and departure stamps in your passport.[/*:m:3lqfsob5]
1 passport-style photograph of yourself[/*:m:3lqfsob5]
Proof of any one of the following income types:

(a) pension or other income equaling no less than 65,000 Thai Baht a month,

OR,

(b) cash in a Thai bank account equaling no less than 800,000 Thai Baht. On the first application the money must be in the account at least 60 days before the application, on all other applications, 90 days before.

OR

(c) a combination of (a) and (b) above which, when added together, equals at least 800,000 baht annually.

(** Note that 'proof' of income is only accepted in one form: that of an original notarized letter from one's home country embassy in Bangkok confirming the monthly income. If the choice is to go the 'money-in-the-bank' option, then the amount and dates must be in the form of an original letter from your bank branch manager.)[/*:m:3lqfsob5]
A copy of your house, condo, or townhouse ownership, or, if you rent, a copy of your rental agreement.[/*:m:3lqfsob5]
A map of the area where you reside, pinpointing your home.[/*:m:3lqfsob5]
Fee is 1900 Baht[/*:m:3lqfsob5]

Although this list may appear daunting (and the original application the other day I must admit was stressful), in fact, once you have all your ducks lined up in a nice little package for the Immigration office the whole process took ~ for me at least ~ all of 10 minutes ... 3 of which were spent waiting for the Office Boss to give the completed application the once over and last signature.

A couple of points to be made here: apparently (and not surprisingly / TiT), not all Immigration Offices are equal in their demands. For instance, I've heard from more than one person that the Imm Office in Pattaya asks for some kind of imprint of a Visa card or ATM card. Not sure if this is still the case (or if it ever actually was) as this rumour is now a few years old, but certainly here in Hua Hin that was never asked for.
But, I would not doubt that the process may well be somewhat different (some with more hoops ... some with fewer?) in different parts of Thailand. So be prepared for the process check off list to have items on it not mentioned above.

Another point which may be quite important is the Embassy notorization of your income statement. I'm Canadian and I arrived at the Embassy in Bangkok with a good deal of paper showing my annual/monthly income. This documentation was taken away from me for inspection by a notary public. I then had to wait awhile for a short interview by her before receiving my letter. All went very smoothly and I received a very nice letter from her, but the process was much longer time-wise than the permission-to-stay application later in Hua Hin!
I have heard from more than a few Americans that their Embassy notorization was much simpler and faster: they showed up, signed a statement giving their income, and didn't have to present a single piece of actual evidence for the amount. Go figure.

All in all, the whole process went by as slick as a ripe mango. The main thing is to be sure you have every piece of paper the Thai Immigration folks want. If you're not 100% sure of what they need, go in in advance and ask them.
My suggestion would be to go in for the application a few days before your one year is up. That will give you some time to collect any item which you may not have, or have incorrectly . . . i.e. give yourself some leeway, rather than take the chance of running out the clock to get your permission to stay.

x in pattaya
September 12th, 2009, 12:41
A copy of your house, condo, or townhouse ownership, or, if you rent, a copy of your rental agreement.
A map of the area where you reside, pinpointing your home.

Never been asked for either in Jomtien, nor is it on the list of requirements they hand out, although I was asked if I owned or rented. During the 90 day report they have asked for proof of residence in the form of a telephone bill or such.

тАжnot all Immigration Offices are equal in their demands. For instance, I've heard from more than one person that the Imm Office in Pattaya asks for some kind of imprint of a Visa card or ATM card. Not sure if this is still the case (or if it ever actually was) as this rumour is now a few years old, but certainly here in Hua Hin that was never asked for.

IтАЩve never been asked for it. If it was true, I think it only applied to those who claimed they topped up their cash using a foreign ATM card. It is not shown on their, JomtienтАЩs, list of requirements.

I have heard from more than a few Americans that their Embassy notorization was much simpler and faster: they showed up, signed a statement giving their income, and didn't have to present a single piece of actual evidence for the amount. Go figure.

I always obtain a letter from both US Social Security and from my pension provider and attach that to the embassy statement. The people at Immigrations have never asked for it, but they do always keep it as part of the application.

If the choice is to go the 'money-in-the-bank' option, then the amount and dates must be in the form of an original letter from your bank branch manager.

Preferably the letter is issued the same day you go to Immigrations and you also need a photocopy of your bank book showing your deposits and withdrawals during the previous year. The amount stated in the bank managerтАЩs letter and the last entry in your passbook must be the same amount and show the same date (the bank people will update the passbook when issuing the letter). His letter will also indicate some of your deposits that were foreign sourced.

My suggestion would be to go in for the application a few days before your one year is up. That will give you some time to collect any item which you may not have, or have incorrectly . . . i.e. give yourself some leeway, rather than take the chance of running out the clock to get your permission to stay.

At Jomtien you are strongly urged to go in at least a few weeks early and IтАЩve heard a month early is OK (even more if you have a valid reason). The extension is still for a year beyond the expiration of the current extension. So my extension ends in late January, I go in in December and the next extension still expires in late January of the following year.