PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami Drama

November 29th, 2006, 00:52
Those of you with access to UK - BBC TV might want to watch tonight at 9pm Uk time. They are showing a 2 part dramatisation of the Tsunami- the aftermath. Filmed in Thailand, you might see some of your favourite spots or even friends. Quite a few Thais in the preview clips i saw.

One of the lead actors is Samrit Michaelson - not sure if hes 100% Thai but he has the accent and is very cute.

Do you think its too soon adter the horrible events for them to show this?

Brad the Impala
November 29th, 2006, 01:21
Tsunami(The Aftermath) is also being shown in South East Asia, on HBO Asia, on the 26th December.

Samrit's father is Dutch and mother Thai.

For more info...on the film: www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/11_november/20/tsunami.shtml (http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/11_november/20/tsunami.shtml)

November 29th, 2006, 01:34
Thank you sir!

colmx
November 29th, 2006, 03:43
Interesting interview with the very handsome Samrit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressr ... lsen.shtml (http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/11_november/20/tsunami_machielsen.shtml)

November 29th, 2006, 04:30
Well that was certainly quite a sad , moving & emotional experience. I wont spoil it by giving too many details for those that will see it later.

It was pretty well done with a lot of real footage mixed in with the acted bits.

I surprised myself by how much Thai i understood, The BBC shortened a lot of the text translations ( limited text screen space?)

Looking forward to part 2, but this may be a tough watch for anyone who lost friends in the tragedy. You will need the Kleenex handy. My friend lost his house but thankfully he & all his kin were ok.

They implied that a lot of bodies were burnt in first 2 days before being Identified - i hadn`t heard this before - true? Could explain why so many still listed as missing.

Khun Samrit could be a big star.

Smiles
November 29th, 2006, 04:44
" ... Could explain why so many still listed as missing ... "
Also so many were washed out to sea and never heard from again. (Use your imagination on that one).

Cheers ...

November 29th, 2006, 04:45
" ... Could explain why so many still listed as missing ... "
Also so many were washed out to sea and never heard from again. (Use your imagination on that one).

Cheers ...

sometimes i wonder about you!

November 29th, 2006, 07:05
Do you think its too soon adter the horrible events for them to show this?Given the Americans' obsession with their own (self-inflicted) horrors of 7-11, including endless televison features, documentaries, reconstructions, recent movies ... ?

cottmann
November 29th, 2006, 07:24
Do you think its too soon adter the horrible events for them to show this?Given the Americans' obsession with their own (self-inflicted) horrors of 7-11, including endless televison features, documentaries, reconstructions, recent movies ... ?

Or possibly 9-11. My local 7-11 is quite friendly.

November 29th, 2006, 07:25

Or possibly 9-11. My local 7-11 is quite friendly.

stop that ! i fell off me chair lol!

November 29th, 2006, 07:38
My local 7-11 is quite friendly.But do Elvis and Lady Diana shop there?

November 29th, 2006, 19:39
Do you think its too soon after the horrible events for them to show this?

Watched the first part last night. Excellent drama. It may well be far too soon for the relatives and friends of those killed, missing or permanently injured in the Tsunami for these events to be shown - certainly I would have felt very uncomfortable if I had been one of them.

As for Samrit Machielson, there is only one word - Beautiful :geek: !
Interesting that in his interview (see link previously) that he says he comes from Banglamung (Pattaya area).

The next episode goes on to highlight and dramatise the landgrab by "vested interests" who try to take over land previously settled on for generations by families who lost everything in the disaster.

November 29th, 2006, 20:14
They implied that a lot of bodies were burnt in first 2 days before being Identified - i hadn`t heard this before - true? Could explain why so many still listed as missing.

The TV drama was good but naturally with a great deal of artistic licence.

I was in Khao Lak the day the Tsunami hit and for five days afterwards. Yes many bodies were burned by the monks as soon as they arrived at the temples. The number of bodies that were found in the first few days when there was no facility in situ to stop rapid decomposition made this a necessity although from my own knowledge gained during those days those cremated were mainly Thais.

As soon as the army set-up some cold stores the cremations were only carried out where the bodies were so badly bloated that storing them was not feasible.

November 29th, 2006, 22:55
I am afraid 'Drama' does not quite sum this program up! It might be reasonable viewing for those who have no real knowledge of Thailand, but after the British Embassy (this looked like a old colonial building in India) shot at the beginning, followed by the British Ambassador being driven from Bangkok to the South in a rather small automobile with what look like the windows open, I didn't bother to watch the rest of the 'dramatics'.
I lost two very dear friends one of whose whole family completely disappeared during that dreadful morning. If the TV company's want to make money then why not get it right instead of making a low budget program lacking proper research out of a heart rendering catastrophe.

Brad the Impala
November 29th, 2006, 23:26
Sanook, as you are concerned about accuracy, the departure from the British Embassy was shown as being in three Discoverys. I have never previously heard these referred to as "small" automobiles!! I don't quite get your point about the windows being open, but I frequently drive in Thailand with the window open, is there a problem with that?

I also don't recall the British Embassy representative being referred to as "The Ambassador", nor the location that you refer to as The Embassy actually being referred to as such. You have jumped to your own conclusions and then complained that the movie hasn't lived up to your conclusions!

November 30th, 2006, 02:13
The British press today was full of reviews that were full of praise for the programme. Indeed 2 of the full page reviews i read were from survivors of the tragedy. ( 1 in Sun)

November 30th, 2006, 08:13
Does the programme focus exclusively on Thailand? If so, I wonder why? Indonesia and Sri Lanka suffered much more on that fateful day.

November 30th, 2006, 08:26
Does the programme focus exclusively on Thailand? If so, I wonder why? Indonesia and Sri Lanka suffered much more on that fateful day.

Lot more brits died in Thailand.

November 30th, 2006, 09:31
A loosely connected article to this thread in today's Daily Telegraph highlights an official report which criticises British Embassy officials for insensitivity and selfishness in the aftermath of the Tsunami.

Tsunami survivors 'appalled' by conduct of Embassy officials

British Embassy officials are criticised today in an official report for their insensitivity and selfishness in the days following the Asian tsunami. Nearly two years after the Boxing Day disaster, the experiences of those who survived and those in Britain who tried to find their dead or injured relatives are published in a review by the National Audit Office. The report found that British agencies were initially "overwhelmed" by the unprecedented scale of the disaster, in which more than 300,000 people died.

"The overall balance of experience was that the assistance provided in the aftermath of the tsunami, though good in parts, was perceived as piecemeal, inconsistent and inadequate," said the report.

Scathing criticism was reserved for some British Consulate members who, according to one survivor, were on holiday in the area at the time and who failed to help. "After the tsunami they sat in our guest house, which was just out of reach of the tsunami," he wrote. "They didn't help anyone in any way. They sat there and got drunk until a minibus arrived". "When it arrived they didn't offer anyone else a lift to a safe area. They just left. Their conduct was disgraceful and made me ashamed to be British. I've never seen such a selfish and self-interested display. It was truly horrifying to see."

Another survivor wrote: "I suggest we need better-trained, professional British Embassy staff who do not treat the public as idiots and get rid of that superiority. I was very close to changing my nationality. In fact I thought their whole attitude was appalling."

Another survivor wrote: "[There was a] lack of understanding and almost that we were in the way. They were out of their depth and totally overwhelmed."

November 30th, 2006, 09:56
Clinton to visit Thailand for tsunami mission
www.chinaview.cn (http://www.chinaview.cn) 2006-11-29 21:49:48

BANGKOK, Nov. 29 (Xinhua) -- Former President of the United States Bill Clinton will visit Thailand's southern resort province of Phuket early next month for his final mission as the top United Nations envoy for the Indian Ocean tsunami recovery effort, Deputy Governor of Phuket Warapoj Ratasima said on Wednesday. Warapoj said he was informed by Ministry of Foreign Affairs that Clinton will visit Phuket, one of Andaman coastal provinces that were badly hit by the Dec. 26, 2004 tsunami, on Dec. 2 to visit a small community of sea gypsies known as Moken whose members have begun to rebuild their livelihoods and housing through a community driven process.

The former American president will plant a mangrove tree in the village to officially launch the World Conservation Union's "Mangroves for the Future" initiative, the Thai News Agency said. Clinton, whose two-year appointment as Secretary-General Kofi Annan's special envoy ends Dec. 31, will also visit India and Indonesia, the countries hardest-hit by the deadly tsunami that killed over 216,000 people.

The former U.S. president said earlier this month that there has been significant progress in reconstructing devastated communities but many people still have no homes, and bringing the task to completion will take years.

In other developments, National Committee on Disaster Warning Center chairman Smith Tumsaroch said the Center would hold a ceremony to launch the ship which will release tsunami detecting buoys in the Indian Ocean on Dec. 1. The mission to place the tsunami detection buoys is expected to take about seven days, he said, and the buoys could operate for two years. Smith said the Meteorological Department was requesting further budget from the government to maintain the system. However, he said that to increase the capabilities of the tsunami and earthquake early warning system, more buoys should be released along the Andaman coastline.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006- ... 409393.htm (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-11/29/content_5409393.htm)
via Google News

November 30th, 2006, 10:10
The superb dealing with the disaster in Thailand was in part due to the fast reaction and speedy use of the forces and an excellent organisation moved to help the disaster areas as the degrees of the awfulness gradually unfolded. Top marks to Taksin and his disregard for the costs. I think he refused money aid and asked for it to go to countries with greater needs. The natural helpfulness and compassion of the Thai people impressed everyone.

It is a bit sad that the West seems fixed on the disaster in Thailand when the devastation and loss of life was so much greater in Indonesia and Sri Lanks but that's human nature. Many Westerners died in Thailand and many fewer elsewhere.

I don't remember any citicism of the British Embassy at the time. I had an e-mail from them to check that I was OK. It is such a good idea to register with one's Embassy if abroad on a long holiday or as an ex-pat. Brits always seem to expect their Embassy to conjure up miracles in an instant when there are problems.

December 2nd, 2006, 14:45
I was approached by a British policeman at Don Muang weeks after the disaster to see if i needed help or advice. they had a whole team operating at the airport.

December 2nd, 2006, 17:50
I was approached by a British policeman at Don Muang weeks after the disaster to see if i needed help or advice. they had a whole team operating at the airport.
After the initial well-documented and lamentable response of the British Embassy and Consulate officials something about stable doors and bolting horses springs to mind !
The police presence was just another classic example of the Labour Government's obsession with news management and spin.

December 3rd, 2006, 10:09
Swiss rebuild tsunami-hit villages - Bangkok Post

(From swissinfo)
The Swiss government has officially handed over four rebuilt Thai fishing communities, destroyed by the devastating 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. The project, backed with public funds and private donations, aimed not just to provide new homes to the villagers, but also give them a sustainable livelihood.
Two official ceremonies on Saturday marked the handover of the communities on the islands of Ko Phra Thong and Ko Kho Khao, almost two years after huge waves wrecked them.

"It takes time to rebuild after a Tsunami catastrophe and two years is not a long time," said Jean-Michel Jordan, head of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation's (SDC) Bangkok office. "To find a good and sustainable solution, we took a collaborative approach with Swiss and Thai expertise, local and international organisations and input from the beneficiaries."

Switzerland invested a total of SFr4 million ($3.35 million) to rehabilitate the four fishing villages, which are home to up to 1,000 people. According to the SDC, the project provided schools, a health centre, community infrastructure, jetties and fishing boats as well as housing. Among the issues that had to be solved were questions of land ownership, which had delayed work in some cases, and how to ensure people's livelihoods. "Switzerland didn't look at just one problem but took an integrated approach, taking into consideration housing, education, and the livelihood of the ethnic minority who didn't have the right to own their land," Jordan told swissinfo.

"The fishermen, who were previously employed by a collector, now own their boats and fishing equipment." The Swiss say they are satisfied with the outcome of the project, which in its first phase aimed to restore means of subsistence and infrastructure, followed by the reconstruction of homes.
"During the past two years we have been able to reach the poorest and most vulnerable population," added Jordan. "The new houses have been built in different places and are environment friendly. They are much safer now."

The SDC has been backing projects in Sri Lanka and Indonesia, two other countries that were struck by the tsunami. In Sri Lanka, the agency earmarked SFr8 million for the reconstruction of schools, as well as additional fund to help families rebuild or repair their homes. In Indonesia's, the SDC spent SFr10.5 million on emergency assistance, much of it in the Banda Aceh region. Families also received financial support, while water purification stations were rehabilitated.

December 3rd, 2006, 10:14
Clinton visits tsunami-affected Thai sea gypsies - The Nation

HIN LOOK DIEU, Phuket - Former US president Bill Clinton on Saturday paid a fleeting visit to a community of sea gypsies who have rebuilt their lives in Thailand after the devastating 2004 tsunami.

Clinton toured a Moken community on the holiday island of Phuket, and praised the traditionally nomadic people for preserving the mangrove forest which blunted the force of the waves which killed some 220,000 people around the Indian Ocean nearly two years ago.

"These people deserve an enormous amount of credit and respect for having understood the relationship between protection from storms and preserving their native forest habitat," he said.

"It is hard to say that (the Moken) weren't smarter than a lot of the people who claim to be more advanced... they understood they needed nature to protect them," he added.

Some 30 sea gypsy communities are scattered around the Andaman Sea, and many were previously considered squatters on government land.

Agence France-Presse

December 4th, 2006, 18:07
Quick reminder for interested parties..............second part of the programme is tomorrow night (Tuesday 5th dec)

jinks
December 6th, 2006, 04:40
I have just finished watching the second part.

I very moving docudrama.
I was shocked at "jobsworth" attitude shown.
Also the helplessness felt by so many.

The final image, local child survivors watching the New Year fireworks.
http://www.jinks.clara.net/forum/after.jpg

December 6th, 2006, 16:24
yes very moving.

recommend those who didnt see it to catch it on HBO Asia 26th december.

December 7th, 2006, 08:01
I found it interesting that UBC has not highlighted the broadcast -- further, the listing in their magazine omits the Tsunami portion of the title, simply showing it as "Aftermath." Part 1 is scheduled for 8pm on 26 December - Channel 12 HBO - Part 2 at 9:40pm.

December 7th, 2006, 12:48
The tsunami was a truly horrible thing, when I remember all the faces at the hotel i was staying, that I will never be seeing again, it got completely washed away a month later, I am full of deep deep inconsolable melancholy. I have nightmares just remembering how I demanded extra sheets in the middle of the night. This was truly a huge tragedy. The hotel was brand new, everyone full of optimism and cheerful abandon, flirting around in their brand new uniforms sexy and blessed with a job. I am just pleased I tip so well. At least they went on a high.

December 7th, 2006, 13:07
I have nightmares just remembering how I demanded extra sheets in the middle of the night.

What on earth are you on about?

bao-bao
December 7th, 2006, 21:11
When I remember all the faces at the hotel i was staying, that I will never be seeing again...I am full of deep deep inconsolable melancholy. I have nightmares just remembering how I demanded extra sheets in the middle of the night.

Cedric, I understand you feel badly now about how you may have treated the staff workers that night.

I've learned the best thing we can do to make amends for past social or moral transgressions we can't directly make is to just be a better person in similar situations in the future. In some ways that does more good than if we could go back and say "sorry".