PDA

View Full Version : Acclimatizing to the Thai heat ...

Smiles
November 27th, 2006, 03:07
" ... I got there at opening (09.00) and walked around until about 12.30. I was wilted by then (rather warm) and just got tired of photographing. So headed for the nicely air-conditioned bus and back to the hotel ... "
This quote above by Bob was picked up from another thread but I found myself muttering " ... how true!!... " when I read it.

It is a well-known (& respected ~ if you're smart) phenomenon for farangs in Thailand . . . that is to say, starting out in the morning (on foot) with all the best intentions of spending most of the day visiting this or that, be it a museum, or flower show, searching for a restaurant or bar, tromping through the Grand Palace or Wat Po (etc etc), skipping up the 1001 steps of Phra Wihan in the noonday sun, or ~ the worst ~ the both-sides barbecuing one receives in the wall-to-wall covered alleys of Chatachuk Market at 12:30.

Such intentions invariably peter out around 1pm or so with the soggy farang finding refuge in an air-conned MBK or Paragon, the nearest Au Bon Pain, a bowling alley or movie theatre on the top floor of The Emporium (etc etc). No matter the interest quotient of the original goal, if one's on one's feet and the heat's up (when is it not?) there is a limit to most farang's stamina . . . and early afternoon finds him taking the easy way out and packing it in for the delights of a dark and very un-Thai Elephant & Castle.

To be honest, my ability to endure the never-ending Thai daytime heat has greatly improved over the years I've been coming, and now I seem to be able to keep up with the beloved to a reasonable extent. (In this I suspect the Thai ability to ignore the heat is rather over-played. I think in fact they simply don't complain as much. Certainly I've never been refused when suggesting we cut the National Museum [etc etc] visit a bit short ~ it's very good if you've never been by the way, and well worth putting up with the sweat bath).
So I think my acclimatization is proceeding apace ... or perhaps I'm just learning not to whine so much.

How long do you last in the Thai heat before seeking succour in the God Aircon? One hour? Three? Five? Perhaps you're habit is sleeping all day (in the God's cool embrace) and venturing out only at night? Perhaps you are one of the sun's children who doesn't feel it's heavy hand? If so, you are lucky to be in Thailand.

But then and then and then ~ as antidote ~ after a day in the sun (or half a day for most of us), grab your Thai man by the hand, take the shuttle ferry across the Chao Phraya over to the Yok Yor floating restaurant boat for their once-an-evening 8PM sitting, climb the stairs up to the top open-air deck and order some excellent curry and sit there for an hour and a half guzzling beer, listening to a live band play gentle Thai music up front, and cool yourself in the gentle breeze as you float slowly past the all-lit-up beauty of Wat Arun (so close you can reach out and touch it).

Cheers ....

November 27th, 2006, 03:30
I used to duck inside every hour or so on my first few visits - thought i would die with the overwhelming heat!

But - after a few stays in BS village in sisaket area with absolutely no aircon i soon got used to it. Sun hat was a must have though!
Now wherever i stay i keep aircon off when i can and set it to a good temperature when i cant (26-28)

From 20 degrees to 30 plus instantly is a killer! Give your body a chance to adjust and you will suffer much less.

fedssocr
November 27th, 2006, 03:47
And have reasonable expectations. Realize that it's going to be hot and take your time getting around. Jump in an AC'd taxi to get from place to place. Most importantly, drink plenty of cold water. Staying hydrated will help keep your energy up. And the river is definitely cooler than the city. Trying to keep in the shade also does wonders.

I felt like I did better at the beginning of my trip and by the end of my 3 weeks I was spending my time indoors in the cool. I went to college in Florida which was a fairly good intro to living in the tropics. I believe those 4 years thinned my blood out as they say.

I also tried to take a little mid-afternoon break and a nap which helped. I don't drink alcohol which was a help for me too.

Dodger
November 27th, 2006, 06:56
At the advice some boy (can't remember who) a few years back, I started eating Thai foods with those seemingly harmless little red and green firecrackers which are filled with nitro glycerin. After a few days of sweating buckets my body seems to neutralize and I acclimate to the external heat (the sun) much faster. Of course every time I take a crap it feels like I have a red hot flare stuck up my ass, but what the heck...it seems to work.

As far as the boys not complaining...most of them don't have anything to complain about. They sleep in the daytime and hatch at night. If you can get one to go to the beach with you he reacts to the sun similar to the way Dracula reacts to a cross. Then it's a quick dash into the 7/11 to pick up another tube of that skin whitening cream

mai pen rai

Bob
November 27th, 2006, 08:08
I probably should have clarified my "wilting" at the Flora exhibition. It really wasn't the heat as much as the sun. Sun was very bright and I did notice that about 90% of the Thai visitors carried sun umbrellas. From October 15th to November 7th, the Chiangmai weather was really pretty good. Almost cool in the mornings and late evenings and (I'm guessing) maybe about 85-90 during the mid-afternoon. Exceptional weather (compared to, let's say, March and April).

As I get older, the heat bothers me less and less. And I've learned that the best way to acclimate is to make sure the hotel
air conditioner is not too cold and, occasionally, to stay the hell out of some stores especially the 7-11's (as a rule, are the 7-11's the coldest damn stores in Thailand?). Going to and from very air-conditioned places to the outside heat is the biggest killer for me.

In years past, I really didn't like the heat and humidity in Bangkok (and the need to take 3-5 showers per day). It used to drive me nuts going out after a shower, watching Thais dressed in long black pants and long sleeve shirts, and I'd be a wet mess in 40 minutes. I don't have that problem anymore as I haven't stayed in Bangkok for a few years.

November 28th, 2006, 10:15
... little advice from Smiles and the like a while back and feel a lot better for it. Walking around does actually help a lot - ok, I haven't lost any weight (different subject) but it does get you used to the heat. I also find that walking around actually helps keep me cool rather thas sat in some bar or under a cafe parasol where there is no breeze.

Other tips -
Try and get a room with a balcony. I find nothing better than opening the window/balcony doors at night and letting the cool(er) air in.
If your room has air but no fan and the hotel cannot provide one, invest the 200 - 500 necessary and buy one for your stay - a bedside blast of warm air is much more effective than going from chilly to hot to chilly.
If you are feeling the heat and on your way out for the night - get a taxi to wherever you are going. You will not arrive flushed and sopping and feel uncomfortable for the remainder.
Do, as suggested, try the more spicy foods for a few days (a little 'phrik nam plaa' on your rice is a useful opener). You may feel a little hot under the collar whilst eating the tasty morsels but I honestly believe Thai food does help you acclimatise to the heat.

Having said all that, there are days when, for whatever reason, I am just sweating buckets (the extra poundage may count against me here). Some days/nights are just hotter than others and there is very little you can do about it and I sometimes ignore my own 'rules' and think i'll walk the 15/20 minutes or so to the bar and then end up with a river running down my back. I do have one friend, of extreme girth, who just doesn't sweat - anytime. I hate him so much!

allieb
November 28th, 2006, 11:52
I'm lucky I don't have a problem with the Thai heat. I have been living in Saudi on the Red Sea coast for over 20 years where summer temperatures average 45 centigrade, it sometimes reaches 50. In winter its much the same as Thailands summer 34. Whenever I come to Thailand the weather is a pleasant relief from what I have just left.

November 29th, 2006, 07:15
If you go outside on a weekday lunchtime in Bangkok be prepared to be killed not only by the heat but by the crowds

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun

bao-bao
November 29th, 2006, 07:29
I keep telling myself I'm going to make a real effort to adjust to the heat each time I go, but I've finally accepted what seems to be an irrefutable fact: it's just plain hot, most of the year and I do better to adjust my schedule or stay as "air-con"ed as possible as opposed to getting irritated about it. I try to do most of my walking and exploring the local areas in the morning and evening hours and plan limited stretches out in the heat of mid-day.

Noel Coward was right, and although I'm neither an Englishman or quite the mad dog (well, not since I quit drinking a long time ago) it just seems the logical thing to do. Wish I could tolerate the spicy food... that would be worth a try!

MAD DOGS AND ENGLISHMEN - Noel Coward

In tropical climes there are certain times of day
When all the citizens retire to tear their clothes off and perspire.
It's one of the rules that the greatest fools obey,
Because the sun is much too sultry
And one must avoid its ultry-violet ray.
The natives grieve when the white men leave their huts,
Because they're obviously, definitely nuts!

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun,
The Japanese don┬┤t care to, the Chinese wouldn┬┤t dare to,
Hindus and Argentines sleep firmly from twelve to one
But Englishmen detest-a siesta.
In the Philippines they have lovely screens to protect you from the glare.
In the Malay States, there are hats like plates which the Britishers won't wear.
At twelve noon the natives swoon and no further work is done,
But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

It's such a surprise for the Eastern eyes to see,
that though the English are effete, they're quite impervious to heat,
When the white man rides every native hides in glee,
Because the simple creatures hope he will impale his solar topee on a tree.
It seems such a shame when the English claim the earth,
They give rise to such hilarity and mirth.
Ha ha ha ha hoo hoo hoo hoo hee hee hee hee ......

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
The toughest Burmese bandit can never understand it.
In Rangoon the heat of noon is just what the natives shun,
They put their Scotch or Rye down, and lie down.
In a jungle town where the sun beats down to the rage of man and beast
The English garb of the English sahib merely gets a bit more creased.
In Bangkok at twelve o'clock they foam at the mouth and run,
But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
The smallest Malay rabbit deplores this foolish habit.
In Hong Kong they strike a gong and fire off a noonday gun,
To reprimand each inmate who's in late.
In the mangrove swamps where the python romps
there is peace from twelve till two.
Even caribous lie around and snooze, for there's nothing else to do.
In Bengal to move at all is seldom ever done,
But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun