View Full Version : Cut and Paste

Brad the Impala
November 25th, 2006, 01:54
Several of us cut and paste here, several of us moan about this, what does everybody else think?

November 25th, 2006, 02:06
get a life ...

November 25th, 2006, 03:06
saves me a ton of time trawling the papers sites and other places.

November 25th, 2006, 04:49
Even though its name may have brought back memories of a kindergarten assignment, Cut/Copy/Paste is a very valuable computer skill. I'm sure you will agree with me that mastering this basic skill of copying and moving text and graphics will make your computing days very productive. :salute:

November 25th, 2006, 06:22
we have a runaway leader!

Surfcrest
November 25th, 2006, 08:31
get a life ...

too late........

SURFCREST

:bom:

November 25th, 2006, 09:09
Cut and paste as you like but please at least explain why you are bringing something to the attention of others. Indicate whether you agree or disagree with the comments in the article. Please don't just post someone else's garbage and then claim, well it's someone ELSE'S opinion, not your own, if the comments are challenged.

November 25th, 2006, 09:12
Most of the articles that are cut and pasted here are interesting... and about 2/3 are ones that don't appear in my local paper (ie. local Thai content) -- please continue the useful contributions!

jinks
November 25th, 2006, 14:52
Yes...

However please edit to keep the text to the main points.
If it's a long piece add a link to the site.

elephantspike
November 25th, 2006, 15:12
Should we create a special forum just so we can copy Wowpw's posts to it?
If so, what should we call it?

November 25th, 2006, 17:44
Yes...

However please edit to keep the text to the main points.
If it's a long piece add a link to the site.

I fully agree with Jinks. There should only be a short precis or the gist (a couple of lines at most) of the news item or article followed by a link to the site. Readers can then decide for themselves whether they want to read the full article or not.

If Wowpow wants to publish the entire article each time he should set up his own forum on the board. We can then decide whether to go there or not.

bucknaway
November 25th, 2006, 20:49
What's the difference? Why only bring a snippet of the news story into a post dedicated to article and nothing else?

We know we are about to read a news story when we click on the link. Why change what he is doing and how he is doing it? Most of the complainers are complaining due to the number of threads created, not the amount of news text in the thread.....

And as far as a new section goes.... A new section is similar to a whole different website. On this board I only visit the main board. I don't visit the other sections..... Why bother? If it is not on the main board I guess I will never see it.

Banishing his post to a new section is no different than asking him to put his post directly into the waste bin.

November 25th, 2006, 21:25
What's the difference? Why only bring a snippet of the news story into a post dedicated to article and nothing else?

We know we are about to read a news story when we click on the link.

You've missed the point --- provide a snippet and then provide a link. At the moment Wowpow (and others) post the whole story and don't provide a link. Some of the stories are twenty or more lines long. Just give us the bare gist of the story and then let us decide if we want to click the link to read the rest.

bucknaway
November 25th, 2006, 21:36
Your not able to decide to stop reading a news article when the full story is posted?

I would agree with you if he were posting a news story in a thread not created for that news story.

If I started a story about GoGo boys being rich and if Wowpow found a news story on it. I would agree he should post a snippet of the story with a link. But if Wowpow created a thread about rich gogo boys then I don't have a problem with him posting the full story in his thread.

I am wondering why we now must create new rules for Wowpow?

Smiles
November 26th, 2006, 00:44
Members here should post what you want, when you want, in whatever format you want ... so long as the posting guidelines are not broken.

For what it's worth, I believe copy&paste jobs should always include the link, especially if there's more to the article than what is specifically pasted in the message. Above that, if readers don't like the pasted material's topic, then move on Delilah, and don't have a cow.

Carry on Wowpow!!

Cheers ...

November 26th, 2006, 02:03
then move on Delilah, and don't have a cow.

Thats a new one lol - I love when you talk dirty!