PDA

View Full Version : Airport Not Fit

November 19th, 2006, 17:53
Like so many others, I had a few complaints about the new airport, my main complaints being the inadequate area dedicated to the "arrivals area" and the stench of cigarette smoke evident throughout the terminaql, probably due to poor ventilation of the smoking rooms and inadequate airconditioning. But I guess I failed to emphasize what really VERY MUCH IMPRESSED me most about it all, and that was the fact that a complete switchover to a WORKING airport was acheived in the matter of one night.

But it appears that the official consensus for the new airport is that it is a complete disaster. and the official opening is delayed for at least 6 months. If that doubles, which I think it might, then there could be a chance that Taksin would in fact make it to the official opening!

Bangkok Post

Airport not fit to open 'officially' for six months

Committee says Suvarnabhumi still has far too many issues involving safety and noise

By Post reporters

A panel overseeing the opening of Suvarnabhumi airport has found the facility unfit for an official opening, recommending it be put off for six months.

Chalit Phukphasuk, the committee chairman and air force chief, said safety and noise prompted the panel to urge delaying the airport's inauguration, which was expected this month.

The committee, appointed by the Council for National Security (CNS), wrapped up its work on Friday.

"There is a load of problems to be fixed. The airport will not be ready for the official opening for six months," he said. "Since His Majesty the King will preside over the opening, it is imperative that everything is ready."

Suvarnabhumi airport's modern and stylish design has been eclipsed by problems since the Sept 28 opening to commercial flights, he said.

Long waits for luggage, hold-ups at check-in counters, roof leaks and inadequate toilets highlighted the early days of operations.

Weeks later, uneven and cracked taxiways and parking bays were found at the airport. Current issues include sexual harassment of female staff by men who work for outside contractors and noise pollution.

The airport's plan to close one of its two runways for four hours every night is raising suspicion it has something to do with cracks on aircraft taxiways and parking bays.

ACM Chalit said noise problems are being attended to. Solutions include changing flying techniques for approaching aircraft and reallocating flight times.

He said Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT), which manages the airport, has also been told to improve safety measures before the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) inspects the airport in June next year.

The airport requires an aerodrome certificate from ICAO to permanently operate. It currently has an interim certificate from the Aviation Department.

ACM Chalit said he has reported the findings to CNS chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont and Transport Minister Theera Haocharoen.

An official report on airport operations since opening on Sept 28, including an overview of problems, will be submitted later, he said.

ACM Chalit said the meeting on Friday was the committee's last. The panel was set up after the Sept 19 coup amid calls for the opening to be put off until it was declared fit for operations.

Suvarnabhumi airport, a much-touted project of the deposed Thaksin administration, is plagued with corruption scandals, some being investigated by the Assets Scrutiny Committee.

A newly-appointed AoT board, with assistant army chief Gen Saprang Kalayanamitr as a member and potential chairman, is seen as a CNS attempt to expose graft at the new airport.

Other alleged irregularities involve selection of duty-free shops and food stalls, bids for trolley procurement and the construction of car park buildings.

Issarapan Sanitwong na Ayudhya, national deputy police chief, yesterday said sexual harassment at the facility had been confirmed.

He said Chokechai Panyayong, THAI vice-president for ground services, said female staff were harassed, but had not filed complaints with police investigators.

Pol Gen Issarapan, however, said no complaints of rape or other violent crimes at the airport were lodged with police.

November 20th, 2006, 01:11
wheres the signage for the sexual harrassment area??!!!!

November 20th, 2006, 01:44
It seemed to me that there was a tremendous amount of wasted space in the gate areas, but the check-in and arrival areas were about the same or smaller than the old airport and check-in took longer than before. The long check-in time is more a function of staffing, but it appeared that there wasn't much space for those long lines to meander around.

Also, I thought the lighting was very poor. In the early morning, before natural light enters the building, I thought I needed cataract surgery. I could barely read my ticket.

November 20th, 2006, 03:09
"Pol Gen Issarapan, however, said no complaints of rape or other violent crimes at the airport were lodged with police."

Huh where is there a place for rape, at the not existing toilets or in the smoking rooms :cyclops:

November 20th, 2006, 04:26
Perhaps the ex-PM WILL fly in on the official opening day. I hope they get the signage "To Army Tanks" set up by then!

November 22nd, 2006, 00:50
I just thought of something - i didnt hear any tannoy announcements inward or outward at su wan na poom- unlike don muang where they were constantly yabbering away for mr so and so to come to information.

is the p.a system broken or are passengers not getting lost?

November 22nd, 2006, 09:00
i flew out of the airport last week and will fly back in at the weekend - i had no problems at all, and found it a very beautiful space - in fact the spatial design aspect was for me the best thing. I realise i am in a minority reading all the posts and the newspaper articles and letters, but frankly, i had no complaints whatsoever, and was really impressed with the speed and ease of checking in and boarding.

November 22nd, 2006, 09:25
I had to pick up a friend from the airport the other night, and still affected by the pervasive NEGATIVITY on this board, I left lower Silom WAY too early -- it took only 35 minutes door-to-door to get there on a work day at 5:30 pm -- rush hour, no less. Anyway, that gave me lots of extra time to have a good exploration of this fantastic facility.

It's really at its best at night, when it glows like a high-tech gem. Contrary to the ignorant (what a surprise!) statement by another board member that there is no food available land-side, I found literally dozens of outlets priced no more than in the city. Thai desserts for 15 baht, noodle dishes for 30 baht, an entire food court full of what is probably the cheapest and best airport food anywhere in the world. Plus chain-type choices like S&P, Black Canyon, and Starbucks, and, finally, very stylish and classy dine-around "Sky Loft" restaurants similar in system to the Food Loft at Central Chidlom -- overlooking the entire spectacular check-in floor.

There are also several Boots and Food Mart outlets available, with prices the same as in Bangkok. And some lovely fresh fruit smoothies from several branches of "Squeeze". Not a cobweb in site.

Outside, there is a large and impressive garden on one side of the building, where you can enjoy some greenery. Lying on your back and looking up at the glowing, high-tech terminal is a pleasant way to spend some minutes.

I wandered the taxi area, where there were literally hundreds of taxis waiting to pick up arriving passengers. Express buses to the city were also there waiting.

My friend's flight arrived on time, and he was through immigration and reunited with his bag in all of 15 minutes, and we were back in the Silom area 35 minutes later. My friend's impression of the new facility, "fantastic", echoes mine 100%.

How anyone could yearn for that mustard-yellow concrete box called Don Muang is completely perplexing to me. Bangkok has a world-class airport, finally.

TrongpaiExpat
November 22nd, 2006, 14:07
BoyG: Although, It's very hard to believe that you really have a "friend", I agree with everything you say about the new airport. I don't know why so many relish in finding faults and being so negative about the place.

November 22nd, 2006, 14:26
BoyG: Although, It's very hard to believe that you really have a "friend".

You might be surprised.

In any case, why is it the poor old BoyG gets insulted, even when you agree completely with what he's just written?

TrongpaiExpat
November 22nd, 2006, 15:13
In any case, why is it the poor old BoyG gets insulted, even when you agree completely with what he's just written?

You have now taken to refering to yourself in the third person?

November 22nd, 2006, 15:23
What's it to you? Is this bash BoyG week, or what?

allieb
November 22nd, 2006, 15:36
Boygeenyus has written something very informative. Credit where credit is due, I for one having criticized him in the past must congratulate him on this one. It was very interesting reading and reflects my opinion exactly about the Airport. No poster up until now has given such a detailed account of Suwanabhumi. and its facilities

TrongpaiExpat
November 22nd, 2006, 21:11
What's it to you? Is this bash BoyG week, or what?

Your right, sorry, I apologize for the comment about your not having freinds. It was a wise-ass comment.

I think it's time that I take a reprive from posting unless I have something really useful to say.

Bob
November 23rd, 2006, 05:19
I, too, find Suvarnabhumi a vast improvement over Don Muang and, frankly, I've been surprised on how they got the major bugs (luggage conveyor system, for example) sorted out with a few days of opening. I've been through the place 4 times since mid-October and generally found the place quite usable. I didn't notice any cobwebs but I'm sure there are some. And, yes, I did notice that a lot of the glass (mega-acres of it) wasn't very clean. But, overall, a very world-class airport.

BG mentioned the glow at night at the garden area. Here are a couple of shots I took (the second one being a bit fuzzy and from my flight to Udon Thani).
http://upload4.postimage.org/1722189/TripOver45.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/1722189/photo_hosting.html)

http://upload4.postimage.org/1722191/Isaan016.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/1722191/photo_hosting.html)
[/img]

Sen Yai
November 23rd, 2006, 13:24
I've been through the place 4 times since mid-October and generally found the place quite usable. I didn't notice any cobwebs but I'm sure there are some.

Next time you come in, whilst standing in the immigration queue, look up through the steel mesh ceiling above your head - then you'll see cobwebs!

November 23rd, 2006, 14:19
I had to pick up a friend from the airport the other night, and still affected by the pervasive NEGATIVITY on this board, I left lower Silom WAY too early -- it took only 35 minutes door-to-door to get there on a work day at 5:30 pm -- rush hour, no less. Anyway, that gave me lots of extra time to have a good exploration of this fantastic facility.

It's really at its best at night, when it glows like a high-tech gem. Contrary to the ignorant (what a surprise!) statement by another board member that there is no food available land-side, I found literally dozens of outlets priced no more than in the city. Thai desserts for 15 baht, noodle dishes for 30 baht, an entire food court full of what is probably the cheapest and best airport food anywhere in the world. Plus chain-type choices like S&P, Black Canyon, and Starbucks, and, finally, very stylish and classy dine-around "Sky Loft" restaurants similar in system to the Food Loft at Central Chidlom -- overlooking the entire spectacular check-in floor.

There are also several Boots and Food Mart outlets available, with prices the same as in Bangkok. And some lovely fresh fruit smoothies from several branches of "Squeeze". Not a cobweb in site.

Outside, there is a large and impressive garden on one side of the building, where you can enjoy some greenery. Lying on your back and looking up at the glowing, high-tech terminal is a pleasant way to spend some minutes.

I wandered the taxi area, where there were literally hundreds of taxis waiting to pick up arriving passengers. Express buses to the city were also there waiting.

My friend's flight arrived on time, and he was through immigration and reunited with his bag in all of 15 minutes, and we were back in the Silom area 35 minutes later. My friend's impression of the new facility, "fantastic", echoes mine 100%.

How anyone could yearn for that mustard-yellow concrete box called Don Muang is completely perplexing to me. Bangkok has a world-class airport, finally.

Pity they weren't trapped in the lift then, you could've spent another 40min on your back, not that anyone would have noticed.

Airport lift traps tourists

It took 40 minutes for staff at Suvarnabhumi Airport to rescue five people, including two foreign tourists, from a malfunctioning elevator yesterday.

Sasaphak Mangmool, a tour guide, said two airport staff finally arrived after she kept pressing an emergency button inside the glass elevator for 15 minutes.

"They stood and watched but did nothing to help. Five or six security guards showed up after quite a while, but none of them did anything to help us," she said.

She said some of them kept looking inside and smiling the whole time, for reasons she did not know.

She said she and the others trapped with her had to put their noses up to the overhead fan inside the elevator to get some air, because the temperature rose uncomfortably. After 40 minutes, two maintenance workers arrived and opened the elevator doors.

Sasaphak said her two foreign clients, a honeymoon couple, complained to her about the staff's unprofessional manner in handling such an emergency. She demanded to see the supervisor, or anyone else of higher authority on duty, but nobody appeared.

"No apologies or anything were offered to us for the delay," she said.

An official told her the elevator frequently stopped working, making her wonder why it was not shut down for full maintenance.

anakot
November 23rd, 2006, 18:14
Been thru it twice now as it is only over the ditch for me. Superb... No need to go for a walk on arrival/departure day as i get my exercise striding down the entry halls. Everything looks great though. Congrats to the Thais for a great beast.

November 24th, 2006, 09:15
No need to go for a walk on arrival/departure day as i get my exercise striding down the entry hallsIndeed - third entry earlier this week and I got my day's 4-mile walk just getting from the plane to Immigration. The moving bits were clogged with Koreans who seem to think that just standing there, blocking everyone who wants to speed up, is the way to go. I have no love for Don Muang and any airport is likely to be a pain in the arse, but some of the newer airports (KL is one) have rapid transit links between the arrival/departure gates and the central check-in/immigration area. (Las Vegas and Pittsburgh are two others that come to mind). The new airport is no more passenger-friendly than the old one, and in 3 trips so far I've had to be bussed between the gate and the aircraft on two of them. Not impressed