PDA

View Full Version : creaping nematoads,bot flys and lao lao

Impulse
November 16th, 2006, 21:36
As if there arnt enought diseases to worry about just whoring around,I was watching a special on parasites that travelers pick up when traveling to southeast Asia.Just wondering if anyone has encountered any thing while visiting their friend in a village or anywhwere for that matter.Sometimes it takes a few years for them to present themselves.One guy had skinny white worms about 2 inches long crawling in his eye,they had to use a pesticide to kill them.Another took 10 years to finally get rid of the things crawling just under his skin.It gave me second thoughts about living in Thailand.

November 16th, 2006, 23:43
Are you suggesting that these are exclusive to Thailand? Are they common in Thailand? Google here I come

"Nematodes are the most numerous multicellular animals on earth. A handful of soil will contain thousands of the microscopic worms, many of them parasites of insects, plants or animals. Free-living species are abundant, including nematodes that feed on bacteria, fungi, and other nematodes, yet the vast majority of species encountered are poorly understood biologically. There are nearly 20,000 described species classified in the phylum Nemata .
Nematodes are structurally simple organisms. Adult nematodes are comprised of approximately 1,000 somatic cells, and potentially hundreds of cells associated with the reproductive system . Nematodes have been characterized as a tube within a tube ; referring to the alimentary canal which extends from the mouth on the anterior end, to the anus located near the tail. Nematodes possess digestive, nervous, excretory, and reproductive systems, but lack a discrete circulatory or respiratory system. In size they range from 0.3 mm to over 8 meters." nematode.unl.edu/wormgen.htm
(nematoAds are an Austin Texas based surf band)

"Is there such a thing as a human bot fly? Yes, we're sorry to say there is. Called the torsalo, Dermatobia hominis, occurs in Mexico and Central America. Fortunately, getting one is an extremely unlikely occurrence for the average visitor". http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/botfly.html

"Lao-Lao is a rice whisky brewed in Laos. Along with Beer Lao, Lao-Lao is a staple beverage for both tourists and natives of Laos." wikipedia
- probably kills parasites

I think maybe someone has been winding you up!

November 16th, 2006, 23:51
I find parasites of the human variety much more worrisome.