PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones In Thailand

November 10th, 2006, 17:14
I'm arriving in Bkk next week and will be around and about for about 6 weeks.

My mobile is locked down to my network provider.

Can anyone give me any info on where I can get my phone unlocked and then buy a local SIM card in BKK?

Thanks

Qwerty!

neddy3
November 10th, 2006, 17:17
Many places can do it.
Just look for the signs outside phone shops.

bkkguy
November 10th, 2006, 18:55
MBK Shopping Center new Siam Sq/National Stadium (skytrain)

there is a rabbit warren of 5,000+ phone shops on the 3/4 floor

bkkguy

jinks
November 10th, 2006, 20:06
Better than getting your phone unlocked....

I carry 2 phones !

Buy at home or in Thailand a cheap phone.
In thailand get a local card and number.

With your home phone, use caller ID to know who called.
Return the call on the Thai phone.

As you are leaving you will have a cheap giveaway gift :cheers:

November 11th, 2006, 02:11
Directly on your way out of Bangkok Airport there are some Providers who are happy to sell you directly a new prepaid SIM card. It is impossible to miss. First is AIS, secound is DTAC. They get your mobile working with a new Thai number within minutes. It's cheap too, with 50 TBT free calculate around 250 TBT. You can buy as much als you like but geh new prepad card nearly at any corner in Thailand.

While buying your new SIM card take care about your luggage or money. The way-out area is very crowded and a easy task for pick-pockets.

November 11th, 2006, 02:26
Qwerty.. you might check with your provider. Some will "unlock" your mobile if you have been a customer for over a year and have a good payment history. T-Mobile sent me the unlock code once I explained I wanted to use the phone overseas with a local sim card.

allieb
November 11th, 2006, 15:59
I have a moblie phone from one 2 call. I have had it for 3 years and always top it up to last a year of airtime when I leave. Last month when I returned home after my trip to Thailand I found that my phone had roaming. It fired up on a local Saudi network. I understand that roaming is now standard on all one 2 call pay as you go sim cards.

This is great but the problem is how to top up from outside Thailand. Does anybody know? Is it possible to top up with a credit card on the net? I certainly couldn't buy a scratch top up card in Saudi for one 2 call.

November 12th, 2006, 04:27
I recommend that you go to the MBK Shopping Center in Bangkok. It is on the BTS Skytrain Route, at the National Stadium Stop. All the mobile phone sellers are on the 4th floor i think (just ask anyone where they are). Buy a cheap phone and a local sim card. I use 12Call. The sim card will cost about UD$8 and you can buy air time from any 7-11 as you need it. Keep the phone for your next trip or give it to your Thai boyfriend.